gardo

Martin Guitars

To be fair, though, there is a huge difference in skills learned for a hobby, and the needs of a manufacturer. We may decry the rise of the machines, but they do serve a purpose, and they do produce consistent quality unit after unit, which makes manufacturing what it is. ..either a success or bankrupt.

Craftmanship has been swept aside [to now being an artform], whereas making/producing a product with consistent and predictable outcomes are the keys to competitive business...and the ability to compete on cost and quality are crucial to every manufacturer. People, even the most skilled, can make costly mistakes, whereas a properly programmed and maintained machine will reproduce the same part every time, within specified tolerances.

If you are not interested in buying a product made by a machine, then by all means hire a craftsman to do the job....if you can afford the time and costs.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of museum-quality model boats, I just talked with a guy who makes half-hull models for a living.    Amazing craftsmanship.   I would not want him to build me a guitar or program my CNC, though.

If you've ever seen someone go from a blank screen to a complex complete 3D model which can then be successfully translated to a functional thing produced by some sort of numerically-controlled machine, it is awe-inspiring.

So let me suggest a metric for the depth of one's craft.     How long would it take the average man on the street to reach the same level of mastery?

Having personally made guitars both by hand and by numerically-controlled machines, I respect both crafts.    But, frankly, I think the hand-tool route is more accessible to the average Joe.

Edited by gitnoob
  • Thanks 1

A great many long for the days of hand tooled, crafted, built, etc., but as a few have stated, machines really can and do provide a more consistent product.  Overseen by people that know stuff, it’s been a boon to every industry.

A model ship, now that’s something that would carry much more value being hand built, but it’s not a tool.  You want art and the personal experience, definitely throw your lot into a hand building craftsman, you want a quality tool...the odds are with quality machining.