GREAT MELODY, GREAT LYRIC, GREAT RENDITION

Mark Blackburn

• Members

TONY BENNETT – I Do Not Know A Day I Did Not Love You

Just spotted a comment at Tony Bennett's Facebook page – from a lady who wondered: “Do you have one favorite song?” Immediately I thought of something a NYC radio host shared about “Tony's favorite of his own recordings” – I Do Not Know A Day I Did Not Love You. (The slightly awkward syntax of that hard-to-remember title, may have contributed to its relative obscurity.)

From my favorite composer Richard Rodgers – who wrote the melody to words by a lesser-known lyricist, Martin Charnin, for a long-forgotten Broadway show.

An oft-quoted musicologist (the son of “Dancing in the Dark” composer Arthur Schwartz) recalled on an early Sirius/XM program that, “Whenever I'd see Tony I'd ask him the same question: 'Is that one still your favorite (among all of your recordings)?' His answer was always 'Yes!'.”

Arranged by Torrie Zito and released on Tony's black vinyl LP “Love Story” album 51 years ago. Most recent upload to YouTube (2021) with “comments left on” – Thank you, “BlondieJohnson.”

Deepest thanks for this personal anecdote from DON STITT:

"I mentioned to lyricist Martin Charnin that this was Tony's favorite recording of his own singing, something of which Martin had been unaware."

Regarding Charnin . . . 

My favorite of his songs -- MAYBE -- a 'girl song' yet my favorite rendition is by Harry Connick Jr.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

THE CAROUSEL WALTZ -- Richard Rodgers' masterpiece

Rodgers & Hammerstein's personal favorite of their shows was Carousel which opened just after WWII ended in 1945.

My Mom and Dad went to New York City for “the honeymoon they never had” before Dad shipped off to war. I remember the joy in their eyes when they recalled to me, decades later that they saw Duke Ellington's orchestra at the Club Zanzibar. The other highlight – seeing Carousel – which starred a young John Raitt (Bonnie's Dad).

I've often thought the 'Overture' for Carousel is the greatest piece of music my favorite composer Richard Rodgers ever wrote; which is saying something. As I said in my letter to Mr. Sinatra (December 1992) “Rodgers wrote more strong melodies” (over 50) than any of his Great Songbook peers – “melodies I could hum or whistle half a lifetime after hearing them for the first time.”

Just as an aside: when I was in my teens, my family purchased the black vinyl LP of Carousel the movie – and I just couldn't get enough of this amazing 'not-really-an-overture' (because it didn't quote from any of Carousel's wonderful songs). A decade ago I obtained a CD version – that was missing the first 30 seconds of the opening movement – music that depicts the eerie feeling of a deserted fairground at night – evoking faintly discordant notes on a ghostly carousel organ. (That's how I'd describe it.)

Best 'live' version at YouTube? This one -- with those opening notes that gave me goosebumps (still do!). A concert  performance by London symphony musicians. If you can spare seven minutes – please enjoy my single “most favorite work of art.”

p.s. Thanks to Masses Esclaves for posting and to "Kaneohe" (below) for noting the name of the man who orchestrated and selected all the 'voicings' for this:

"And credit must be given to Robert Russell Bennet, Rodgers' go-to arranger, whose beautifully complex orchestrations were the icing on the cake!"

P.S.  I've often thought that Richard Rodgers wrote 16 of the 20 greatest waltzes of the last century. It's easier to list the great ones he DIDN'T write:  Leroy Anderson's Belle of the Ball, pre-eminent on a list that also includes Frank (Guys & Dolls) Loesser's Wonderful Copenhagen from the Hans Christian Anderson movie starring Danny Kaye. And as I said in my own note (above) this night, this was his greatest musical achievement. 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

LENA HORNE -- I've Grown Accustomed to His Face

Thanks to a compatriot Max Weissengruber for sharing this one.  Lena with the Robert Farnon orchestra.  Alas "comments turned off."  [Just responded:]

Thank you Max for the informed note. The Canadian-born Farnon arranged Sinatra's only 'offshore' studio recording GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN (1962) and Tony Bennett's classic "Snowfall" -- first of Tony's Christmas albums.

When he appeared in Toronto, Tony began urging Canadians to "erect a statue to Robert Farnon" -- the most influential of all arrangers, according to all the other great ones. I'd forgotten he'd orchestrated this gem for Lena -- but I'd spot his 'touch' within seconds of those opening notes.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

JACK JONES – and his “Seriously Sinatra” album

We've seen and heard the words “Siriusly Sinatra” for so many years now -- it's a little jarring to see the 'original' spelling: As on the cover for Jack Jones' then-current (2015) Sinatra tribute album – “arranged and conducted by (the great) Patrick Williams” (who left us at age 79 three years later the summer of 2018). Their album to mark the occasion of Sinatra's 100th birthday in 2017.

Just as an aside: the English interviewer has an endearingly 'fuzzy' style of asking questions – an almost inarticulate, slightly emotional, jumble of words that convey open-ended questions: It worked – eliciting from one of my life-long musical heroes, a couple or three anecdotes I'd not heard before.

Like the moment when a teenaged Jack Jones was stopped in the hallway of their high school by his friend Nancy Sinatra, who said: “Jonesy! – are you coming to the assembly (right now)? “Why? What's happening?” Said Nancy: “My father will be singing for us!”

I'd forgotten that it was Jack Jones who charted the original hit version of Cahn & Van Heusen's “Call Me Irresponsible.” (“Best Original Song” Oscar-winner in 1963.) Jack Jones recalls that the songwriting team wanted him to have the chart record, not Sinatra -- because he (Jones) would give it more of the 'innocence' they had in mind. Whereas, Sinatra's album version reflected an older, more cynical character, played in the movie 'Papa's Delicate Condition' by Jackie Gleason.

Thanks, to an English Facebook friend Nick L for sharing this 14 minute feature.

WIKIPEDIA informs that Patrick Williams had 16 Grammy nominations and one Academy Award nomination for his compositions and arrangements. There's now a quote (that wasn't there before) from a compatriot, originally from Hamilton Canada:

Respected music critic Gene Lees was quoted as saying: "His An American Concerto is, in my opinion, the best mixture of jazz and classical that anybody has ever done. Pat's writing is breathtaking. He's just one of the finest arrangers and composers who ever put pen to paper."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SONDHEIM – deconstructs All The Things You Are

A four-minute 'hidden treasure' (posted to YouTube six years ago when I wasn't looking) features one of my life-long musical heroes -- English-born jazz piano giant Marian McPartland. Her NPR radio 'Piano Jazz' series (released on CDs) included favorite shows with Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans. But I'd never heard Marian's incredible approach to my family's favorite 'show tune' – ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE.  Starting around the 1:15 mark. [Deepest thanks to an English Facebook friend "Nick"  for sharing this.]

Marian McPartland, who left us at age 95, nine summers ago, has a huge Wikipedia entry. With a more recently expanded note about her “legacy” (below).

Wikipedia note on Marian's "legacy"

DownBeat honored McPartland with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1994.[46]

McPartland was awarded a Grammy in 2004, a Trustees' Lifetime Achievement Award, for her work as an educator, writer, and host of NPR Radio's long-running Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. Although a master at adapting to her guest's musical styles and having a well-known affinity for beautiful and harmonically-rich ballads, she also recorded many tunes of her own. Her compositions included "Ambiance", "There'll Be Other Times", "With You in Mind", "Twilight World", and "In the Days of Our Love".

Just before her 90th birthday, McPartland composed and performed a symphonic piece, A Portrait of Rachel Carson, to mark the centennial of the environmental pioneer.[47]

McPartland was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2010 New Year Honours, "For services to jazz and to aspiring young musicians in the USA".[48]

McPartland's encyclopaedic knowledge of jazz standards, highly musical ear, involvement in over 60 years of evolving jazz styles, and rich experience blending with radio guests[49] led to a musical style that was described as "flexible and complex, and almost impossible to pigeonhole."[50] She was known as a harmonically and rhythmically complex and inventive improviser. "She was never content to be in one place, and always kept improving. She has great ears and great harmonics. Because of her ear, she can go into two or three different keys in a tune and shift with no problem."[51]

McPartland was also a synesthete, associating different musical keys with colours, stating that "The key of D is daffodil yellow, B major is maroon, and B flat is blue."[52]

McPartland died on 20 August 2013 of natural causes in her home in Port Washington, New York. She was 95 years old.[53][54]

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

SINATRA -- My Heart Stood Still

My "Desert Island CD" I called it (The Concert Sinatra) -- true then, (01/13/2005), still true today -- that it can "give goosebumps." [I wrote at Amazon:]

"With an extra decade of immersing myself in Frank Sinatra's greatness, I'd have to say that only a "religious experience" -- and a glimpse of Eternity-- could surpass what I feel in my heart, the sheer exhilarating joy I experience, when I listen for example, to "My Heart Stood Still" (my favorite of these). There is the high plateau where the singer and his great collaborator Nelson Riddle have their true, "shining hour." At that defining moment in 1963, the arranger conducts his finest orchestrations, with the largest symphony orchestra ever assembled in Hollywood---as the singer on a mountain peak of vocal greatness, performs his favorite songs by his (and my) favorite composer. These days [pre Siriusly Sinatra] the experience is rationed to perhaps once a month, and then just a cut or two at a time, so as to preserve the experience: I want to `spread it out' over the rest of my life, if I can!"

[73 musicians says the small print on the cover of this CD version -- remixed under the supervision of Frank Jr.]

Okay -- the best 'live' performance was just sent my way by the intuitive genius at YouTube.  As if to say just that:  'Best concert performance' -- this one, right?  Exactly so.  

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

NANCY WILSON – All Night Long

Nancy Wilson is featured every day on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio: most recently today with England's greatest gift to piano jazz George Shearing – from an album they recorded 61 years ago. The song is ALL NIGHT LONG. One of three songs with that title, but this one was the first: composed (words & tune) by Curtis Lewis – who has a recent Wikipedia entry that cites “no sources” but lists the great women singers who recorded his “one great song” [below].

A memorable tune – a 'girl song' about the man who haunts her dreams.

Never knew the softness of his tender kiss
Don't know if he's weak or strong
All I know is he's every dream I dream

Never heard him say a single word of love
Don't know his fate or his soul
'Cause he only speaks to me in dreams I've dreamed

When I sleep he tells me he's in love with me
And how much he needs me to be near
But at best my dream is just a fantasy
If I touch his hand he'll disappear, no no no

I don't want a love that's just a memory
Fate, how could you be so warm?
Now, I've got to find the man who's haunting me

Curtis Reginald Lewis (August 29, 1918 – May 23, 1969), American composer of popular songs, many of which have become jazz standards. He was born in Fort Worth, Texas, grew up in Chicago, and came to New York City in the 1940s. Lewis subsequently became one of the first black composers and lyricists to own a music publishing company on Broadway in the early 1950s.

He died in Kew Gardens, New York. Having served in the United States Army during World War II (from August 22, 1942, discharged as a Staff Sergeant December 2, 1945), his body was interred at the Long Island National CemeteryFarmingdale, NY. [Just the one “selected song”]

"All Night Long" [noted recordings]

Shirley Horn; Album: All Night Long (1981)
Billie Holiday
George Shearing Quintet with Nancy Wilson; Album: The Swingin's Mutual!
Aretha Franklin; Album: Sweet Bitter Love
Diana Krall; Album: Only Trust Your Heart (1995)

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

RICHARD SMITH  --  Bye Bye Blackbird

English-born, Nashville-based finger-style guitar virtuoso Richard Smith with a 'retire-the-trophy' rendition of Bye, Bye Blackburn ... er, Blackbird.

Left Richard a note at his Facebook page:

Love your allusion at the close, a little coda quoting the notes for the words: “Blackbird singing in the dead of night.” Which is to say Sir Paul would love this rendition. As would Chet Atkins himself, who first thought of that Blackbird  'quote.'

I love knowing that a nine-year-old Richard Smith got to play a song or two with him when Chet visited England.

My own musical father -- who had to endure a lot of “Bye Bye Blackburn” [correct] when he was about that same age in the 1920s – Dad would have loved this too.

The trick for virtuoso artists is to keep playing variations – where each one is better than the last. Mission accomplished, especially beginning with the perfect key change, at around the 2:20 mark. Thanks, Richard Smith for the retire-the-trophy reading of this great old song.

• Members

JOHNNY HARTMAN / JOHN COLTRANE – My One and Only Love

A Facebook friend just shared a favorite Johnny Hartman song – from the summer of '63. Track 3 on an album Johnny recorded with tenor sax giant John Coltrane  – the only album of ballads Coltrane would record with any singer before he died young – age 40 – the summer of 1967.

It's fair to say that Clint Eastwood introduced millions of us to Mr. Hartman's mellow baritone by including Johnny's tender ballads on more than one of his movie soundtracks – most notably “Bridges of Madison County” where this song was included.

First version at YouTube this day (most viewed, and with a review by my namesake “1 year ago”):

Quite the finest melody penned by English composer Guy Wood. [Wikipedia notes:]

Guy B. Wood (24 July 1911 – 23 February 2001) was a musician and songwriter born in ManchesterEngland. Wood started his career in music playing saxophone in dance bands in England. He moved to the United States in the 1930s, where he worked for Paramount Pictures and Columbia Pictures as well as serving as bandleader at the Arcadia Ballroom in New York. His songs include "Till Then", "My One and Only Love", "Shoo-Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy". His song "Till Then" reached the pop charts three times (in 1944, 1954, and 1963). Wood also wrote songs for Captain Kangaroo and the Radio City Music Hall. Wood died on 23 February 2001.[2][3][4]

----

My One And Only Love's Wiki entry reminds us that the song's melody was first recorded with different words from another lyricist – and it wasn't a hit.

"My One and Only Love" is a popular song with music written by Guy Wood and lyrics by Robert Mellin. Published in 1953, it is a conventional 32-bar song with four 8-bar sections, including a bridge ("Type A" or "AABA" song structure). Typically performed as a ballad, it has an aria-like melody that is a challenge to many vocalists; in the key of C, the song's melody extends from G below middle C to the second D above middle C.

The song originated in 1947 as “Music from Beyond the Moon” with music by Guy B. Wood and lyrics by Jack Lawrence. Vocalist Vic Damone recorded this version in 1948, but it was unsuccessful.

In 1952, Robert Mellin wrote a new title and lyrics for the song, and it was republished the next year as “My One and Only Love”. When Frank Sinatra recorded it in 1953 with Nelson Riddle, first released as B-side to his hit single "I've Got the World on a String" (Capitol 2505), it became known. Then popular saxophonist Charlie Ventura saw the song's "jazz potential" and recorded the first instrumental version in the very same year.[1]

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

DOYLE DYKES – Deep River

Google for “Deep River (the song)” and there's a photo of the original sheet music for “Old Negro Spiritual arranged by H.T. Burleigh.” A Gospel song that dates back (almost) to Civil War days, according to its Wiki entry which quotes a snippet of lyric:

Deep river, my home is over Jordan. /

Deep river, Lord, I want to cross over [to]

that Promised Land, where all is peace . . . ”

Leave it to my finger-style guitar hero Doyle Dykes to revive this great old song [shared with fans on Facebook: his solo version on a 'White Falcon' electric guitar – a gift to Doyle from Gretsch].

Deep River's Wikipedia entry was recently expanded after it was “played at Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's memorial service” (two years ago).

"Deep River" is an anonymous African-American spiritual, popularized by Henry Burleigh in his 1916 collection Jubilee Songs of the USA.

The melody was adopted in 1921 for the song Dear Old Southland by Henry Creamer and Turner Layton, which enjoyed popular success the next year in versions by Paul Whiteman and by Vernon Dalhart.[3]

"Deep River" has been sung in several films. The 1929 film Show Boat featured it mouthed by Laura La Plante to the singing of Eva Olivetti.[4] Paul Robeson famously sang it accompanied by male chorus in the 1940 movie The Proud Valley.[5] And in the 1983 blockbuster hit National Lampoon's Vacation it was sung by Chevy Chase.[6]

"Deep River" is also one of five spirituals written into the 1941 oratorio A Child of Our Time by Michael Tippett.

An operatic adaption of the spiritual was sung at the memorial service for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as she was taken to lie in state on September 25, 2020.

----

The Wiki list of artists who have recorded Deep River includes Barbra Streisand (who turns 80 this month). From her “27th studio album, 'Higher Ground' – recorded November 11, 1997.”

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

JOHN PIZZARELLI -- Here's That Rainy Day

Had to leave my favorite jazz guitarist/singer a note for his most recently live-streamed  "5 o'clock Somewhere" 'Tips Jar' show: 

[At around the 1952 mark]

JOHN: [That was] “A little drip-drip-drip medley ….”
JESSICA: “ …. and we got a little Kenny Rankin in there!”

As James Taylor said, of his co-Grammy winner for James' “American Standard” (2021): “John is a one-in-a-million musician” – his musical knowledge is that comprehensive. For guitarists of an age (I'm 75) we're treated most every week to yet another favorite “surprise” only Mr. Pizzarelli could deliver. Case in point. John's “Here's That Rainy Day” [mostly] the way the late great Kenny Rankin arranged it – my all-time favorite version; yet with those special touches only John could have added. Coincidentally I'd been wondering what John would do with that Burke / VanHeusen song (their best) from 70 years ago. At around the 1952 mark (how's that for coincidence!) beginning with “April Showers.” Stay tuned another minute for a spontaneous addition: John Lennon's “Rain” – a perfect 'coda' for the medley.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPizzarelliOfficial

John-Pizzarelli-Photo-3-by-Jessica-Molas

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

DORIS DAY / ANDRE PREVIN – Wait Till You See Him

Wait till you feel the warmth of his glance – pensive, and sweet, and wise

I'll never be willing to free him – when you see him ....

You won't believe your eyes.”

I'd just been thinking about Andre Previn – that he was so much more than just a jazz pianist: As I like to say Previn was a “spontaneous arranger” whose chord sequences were positively 'orchestral.'  Ella Fitzgerald, whose distinguished accompanists included Oscar Peterson (and guitar great Joe Pass),  felt that Andre Previn was her greatest solo accompanist.

I'd been thinking in particular of my favorite such 'alone together' recording by Andre and Doris Day. They died of old age a couple of months apart – Andre at home in NYC, February 28, 2019 age 89, and Doris – May 13, 2019, age 97 at home in Carmel Valley California. Both declared their one album together “Duet” their favorite such recording.

So. What's playing right this minute on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio? What a coincidence! Best-ever version (says me) of Wait Till You See Him – an early tender ballad with words by Larry Hart set to a perfect tune from my favorite composer, Dick Rodgers. Thanks, 'Jersey Lou' Simon (ch 71 programmer) for reading my mind – yet again!

Most viewed version at YouTube this day, with "comments left on." 

• Members
SINATRA -- Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry

Has it really been 17 years since I reviewed this CD at Amazon? Titled "Crying on the Inside" [5-stars April 28, 2005:] "I like to make friends laugh, but like the proverbial clown who is 'crying on the inside' (and as the singer is depicted here on the original album cover) -- I feel most in tune with life's poignant moments . . . the ones cynics like me usually dismiss as 'wallowing in self-pity.'

I've identified with Johnny Mercer's protagonist in "One For My Baby" since I first saw Frank Sinatra perform it on black and white TV, 45 years ago. But it's the Sammy Cahn classics on this album -- especially the title track --- that resonate, most deeply in my heart.

I close my eyes and listen in amazement to what many consider the single most beautiful ballad-recording Frank Sinatra and arranger Nelson Riddle ever created together --- Sammy Cahn & Jule Styne's "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry." I listen and see in my mind's eye the girl who broke my heart, in that 'very good year, when I was 21.'

Shortly after my youngest son (now teaching English in Japan and in love again) had his heart broken for the first time, he "discovered" his favorite Sinatra recording, among his dad's CDs -- "Only the Lonely."

Like his father, he prefers up-tempo Sinatra -- and singles out "I Thought About You" as his favorite 'swing' tune (mine too). But "Only the Lonely" he considers the "best song about lost love." (We agree on so few things!)

The same version of this song, on the 3-CD "Capitol Years" box set, opens with an additional 25 seconds of Sinatra giving expert instruction to Felix Slatkin -- who actually conducted the Riddle orchestra, that night of May 29, 1958.

The heartfelt liner notes, penned by Pete Welding, seem to speak to me personally. And the frustrated song writer within me, identifies with composer and lyricist as the two collaborators recalled, "attempting to write (this) song of loneliness for Frank Sinatra -- the challenge of matching words with notes."

"The melody came first," said Jimmy Van Heusen. "The lyric came very hard; session after session without the glimmer of a line. Sammy is as facile a man with words as there is in our business and I wanted to change the melody here and there to be helpful. He wouldn't permit me to change a note."

Said Sammy Cahn: "(It's) one of the best melodies Jimmy ever composed (and) I'm delighted now the melody is exactly as I first heard it."

Sinatra once singled out this album as his personal favorite, among those he recorded for Capitol. It is mine. Perhaps it'll be yours too?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

CALABRIA FOTI – Do It Again 

As if saying “Hi, how are you?” to me personally, Siriusly Sinatra's programmer 'Jersey Lou' Simon has been giving regular airplay lately to “my favorite living singer” – Calabria Foti.  At this moment, it's an early George Gershwin tune – the sexiest song he ever wrote, with lyric by Buddy DeSilva. The two were in the same office one day and Buddy walked in and said, "Hey George, let's write a hit!"  They practically completed the song on the spot. (Wiki note below)

From Calabria's 'Lovely Way to Spend an Evening' (2007) maybe my favorite of her albums. Though I love them all to bits. If you get that CD and don't love it, let me purchase your copy, please.

41ccM1iaUpL._AC_SX385_.jpg

There are six songs with that title -- DO IT AGAIN. Include the words "Gershwin song" and the Wikipedia entry says this one by Gershwin & DeSilva was dropped into a Broadway musical in 1922:

"Gershwin recounted the origin of the song in 1934:

I was in the office of Max Dreyfus, my publisher, one day when Buddy DeSylva walked in. DeSylva said jokingly to me, "George, let's write a hit!" I matched him by saying, "O.K.!" I sat down at the piano, and began playing a theme which I was composing on the spot... Buddy listened for a few minutes and then began chanting this title—"Oh, Do It Again!," which he had just fitted to my theme.[1]

Gershwin began playing the song, described as "innocently sensual",[citation needed] at parties. Upon hearing the song, Irène Bordoni insisted that she perform the song in her show.[2] "Do It Again" first appeared in the Broadway play The French Doll, which premiered on February 20, 1922 at the Lyceum and ran for a total of 120 performances.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Hi Mark -- Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and watching your curated videos -- such variety and excellent commentary -- it's like a PhD course!  I found you from a Google search for a singer heard on Siriusly Sinatra:  Try a Little Tenderness by a woman (I think a one syllable first name and surname).  Was driving so didn't write it down -- foolish to trust memory.  Maybe you can help?? -- THANKS!

• Members

CLARE TEAL – Try a Little Tenderness

Just got an email that “You have a comment” here. From “A Fan”:

"Hi Mark -- Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and watching your curated videos -- such variety and excellent commentary -- it's like a PhD course!  I found you from a Google search for a singer heard on Siriusly Sinatra:  Try a Little Tenderness by a woman (I think a one syllable first name and surname).  Was driving so didn't write it down -- foolish to trust memory.  Maybe you can help?? -- THANKS!"

----

Thank you -- happy to help:  I'm pretty sure you were hearing Clare Teal. Siriusly Sinatra's programmer extraordinaire 'Jersey Lou' Simon introduced us to this fine English singer about a year ago; I've celebrated her greatness here (several pages ago?). Is her lovely version of 'Try a Little Tenderness' (2011) at YouTube? Yes! Isn't Clare Teal a joy to hear? She now has a Wiki entry (below). Thanks again for triggering tender thoughts of her this day.

Wikipedia

Clare Teal (born 14 May 1973) is an English singer and broadcaster who has become famous not only for her singing, but also for having signed the biggest recording contract by a British jazz singer.[1][2][3]

Teal's break came when she was asked to stand in for Stacey Kent at a weekend festival ….This led (after some determined self-promotion, in which she drew upon her advertising skills) to a three-album contract with the jazz label Candid Records. Her popularity soared, with appearances on radio and television bringing her to the attention of a wider public, and in 2004 she released her first album for Sony Jazz in what was the biggest recording deal by any British jazz singer.[2][3] Don't Talk topped the jazz charts and entered the UK Top 20 UK Albums Chart.[3][5]

While the majority of her recordings are cover versions of standards, her albums feature original songs and contemporary cover versions, notably a cover of "California Dreaming" by The Mamas & the Papas.

Teal has toured throughout the UK and the world, with her pianist, trio, mini big band, or Hollywood Orchestra. She has worked with the Hallé OrchestraBBC Concert OrchestraRTÉ Concert Orchestra, and the John Wilson Orchestra as well as other top big bands. In August 2017, she produced and presented her third concert for The Proms. Swing No End [6] featured two big bands and many special guests. It was broadcast on BBC Radio 2BBC Radio 3, and televised on BBC Four.

Teal collaborated with Van Morrison on the single "Carrying a Torch" from his album Duets: Reworking the Catalogue. She was the opening act for Liza Minnelli at Kenwood House and the Royal Festival Hall. She performed at the Glastonbury Festival and the Marlborough Jazz Festival.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Speaking as a guitarist . . .

I'm Canadian and Oscar Peterson's great Texas-born guitarist Herb Ellis told an audience here in Winnipeg (22 years ago this month) that "Musicians agree AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL should really be our national anthem" – just before performing the most beautiful (reverent) solo version I've ever heard. 
Earlier during a break, I'd requested "All The Things You Are." Oh, he said, "You like the hard ones." His was the most perfect solo of this jazz musicians' favorite tune I'd ever heard on guitar.  Until recently, when my favorite Brazilian-born American Walter Rodriguez Jr shared this.  

• Members

HARRY CONNICK JR – Star Dust

I'm experiencing a lot of coincidences lately – what my late Mom would call “God coincidences” – meaning, “not a coincidence” at all. Case in point. I'd just been reading the opening song introduction in an old (1960s) Readers Digest book of “Best Loved Songs” of the 20th century. Its words of introduction to STARDUST included a delightful quote from Oscar Hammerstein, who wrote the words to so many of my favorite songs by Richard Rodgers and Jerome Kern.

As I type this, Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing my favorite 'vocal with solo piano' rendition of Stardust -- Harry Connick Jr accompanied by his family's lifelong friend piano great Ellis Marsalis.

Permit an aside: When the patriarch of the Marsalis clan appeared here two decades ago, he told his Winnipeg audience: “This is my second night here in 35 years! Last time I was accompanying Al Hirt (when the trumpet great was touring in support of pop recordings that had sold in the millions).

Harry Connick is a terrific jazz pianist/arranger but he asked Ellis Marsalis to play solo accompaniment for this recording, again, my favorite 'alone together' rendition of this, Hoagy Carmichael's most famous song:

[Readers Digest Songbook introduction:]

Fittingly, your TREASURY OF BEST LOVED SONGS opens with what many believe is the best-loved song of the 20th century.

How can you spell out the magic of 'Star Dust'? One of America's greatest lyricists, the late Oscar Hammerstein II, put it this way:

Star Dust rambles and roams like a truant schoolboy in a meadow. Its structure is loose, its pattern complex. Yet it has attained the kind of long-lived popularity that few songs can claim. What has it got? I'm not certain. I know only that it is beautiful and I like to hear it. It is a mood-creating song. It has repose and wistfulness. It has something very special, all by itself. Anyone [songwriter] who tried to imitate it would be a fool.”

• Members

JOHN PIZZARELLI --  House of Gold

There's a Hank Williams song you may never have heard-of – my favorite of his – called House of Gold. I've only ever heard one recording – by a hero of mine, Kenny Rankin on an album of his from the late 70s. I despaired of ever hearing anyone perform it 'live' – let alone the way it SHOULD be played, with Kenny Rankin's superb arrangement for solo guitar. It's a lyric that's stayed with me for 40 years; I recited it once in public, at a graveside when my Irene's kid brother “Mitch” died in 1995, age 50. Mitch loved the song.

[From memory imperfect:]

People steal, they cheat, and lie
for wealth – and what it can buy
Don't they know? – on Judgment Day
Gold and silver, gonna melt away.

I'd rather be, in a deep dark grave,
and know that my poor soul was saved,
than live in this world, in a house of gold,
deny my God, and doom my soul.

What good is gold? – and silver too,
If your heart's not pure and true
Sinner! Hear me when I say
Fall down on your knees and pray.

I'd always wanted to see Kenny Rankin before he left us at much too young an age. I wanted to request “House of Gold” – and always wanted to see him play those wonderful chords. Tears of joy to see and hear John perform this, without first naming the tune – saying only, “I've got one I want to do now …. “ [ Just before the 46:00 mark ]

Deepest thanks from your biggest fan in Winnipeg – where James Taylor was to perform this night 5/5/2022) but his concert got postponed – for the third time because of “over caution about Covid.” I left a note at his Facebook page saying “the world's coldest major city” looks forward to hearing you perform here “perhaps on a warm summer night – when your songs would sound [even] better!” James responded with a “Thanks Mark!”

Shared at his Facebook page after today's regular Thursday 'live stream'  "It's 5 o'clock Somewhere" 1-hour "Tips Jar" show.  Hope this link works!

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPizzarelliOfficial

John is performing this night at New York's Cafe Carlyle

John Pizzarelli at Café Carlyle | The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

So. On a night (5/5/2022) when we were scheduled to hear James Taylor here in Winnipeg, I settled for my favorite 'live-streamed' weekly 'tips jar' show by James' co- Grammy winner for the "two guitar arrangements" on AMERICAN STANDARD. Left John Pizzarelli a note: Actually . . . at the 55:08 mark – my new “favorite moment” – from any of your 90-plus, one-hour live streamed programs – your show-closer, a medley of two of our favorite 'time' songs: my all-time favorite by James Taylor, SECRET OF LIFE blended with Leonard Bernstein / Betty Comden & Adoph Green's SOME OTHER TIME. For the latter you replicate Bill Evans' simply perfect two-chord 'hook' – for his landmark 'alone together' recording with Tony Bennett. Thus combining a song that opens with, JT's

“The Secret of Life is enjoying the passage of time”

[then a seamless instrumental segue into a melody whose words open with:]

“Where has the time all gone to? Haven't done half the things we want to! Oh well, we'll catch up some other time.”

“I'll see you next week,” says John – “sometime, along the way.”

https://www.facebook.com/JamesTaylor

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

“It's not the heat – it's the humility,” quips John at the end of a short but terrific half hour live stream show on a beautiful veranda “at an undisclosed location” in Orlando Fla. With a two mile an hour breeze gently rustling all that greenery, we could almost FEEL the humility …. er, humidity. And see further evidence in the slight wrinkling of that quality linen jacket. Further clues: mid-way through the show, John tells us his guitar “needs a little more tuning.”

Personal favorite this week? A most surprising medley (no one else has ever done) of Rodgers & Hammerstein's THIS NEARLY WAS MINE seamlessly joined to MOONLIGHT IN VERMONT. What do those two songs have in common? I don't know, but they're perfect together -- especially delivered with a fountain of gorgeous chords in a sequence that's pure John Pizzarelli. [Starting around the 18:20 mark.] I imagine the father of the seven-string instrument, George Van Eps looking down from on high – maybe enjoying this with your Dad and the two of them saying in unison – “Nobody could play that better!"

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPizzarelliOfficial/videos/1869812186549425

May be an image of one or more people and guitar

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

JUN SATSUMA  -- Embraceable You

Each time I watch one of these videos from Jun Satsuma I have the same thought: "THAT is his best yet!" True again today! The Gershwins' loveliest ballad holds a special place in my heart:

After my musical father had a stroke he couldn't play any of his favorite songs. Even his own (he wrote a few hundred). The one exception? Embraceable You. There is something special about this melody! [Jon Richards put it best ("7 days ago"):]

"You're one of my favorite players. Reminds me of Barney Kessel, no showboating, just elegant musicality."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

SINATRA - Young at Heart

If I didn't know better I'd say What a coincidence! Last night I left open a book appreciating the Great American Songbook on the page celebrating YOUNG AT HEART. Just turned on Siriusly Sinatra and the first song being played is the definitive rendition of this great old song – a million seller for Frank Sinatra.

The book is my old (1963) Readers Digest “Treasury of Best Loved Songs” and here's the entry for the page left open last night:

When the late Nat Cole was introduced to Carolyn Leigh, his first words were “I goofed.” He'd turned down this song the year before, dismissing it as “for the geriatric set.” In the interim Frank Sinatra had made the definitive hit recording of it.

Avant-garde arranger Johnny Richards wrote the melody and was determined to produce a 'commercial' singable hit. Several writers attempted lyrics, but none came up with a set that matched the sunny mood of the tune – until the publisher approached Carolyn Leigh.

At the time her father, a man who had a great zest for life, had become ill and depressed: “I wrote the words for him,” she recalled for the Digest, “writing some of his own philosophy to cheer him up. When the song became Number 1, he became the most happy fella in the hospital.”

Thanks to Sirius programmer 'Jersey Lou' Simon for reading my mind – again. First version offered at YouTube this day, this one:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

SINATRA ('live at 80') In The Still Of The Night

I'd just been singing a favorite line from a Cole Porter song – and trying to recall quickly 'What's it from?' The phrase about “the moon, on the rim of a hill -- in the chill, still of the night.” As if to say, “Oh, yes – and wasn't this your favorite 'live' concert performance?” Siriusly Sinatra channel 71 is playing it right this minute, reading my mind, again. A song that opens with its memorable title words:

In the still of the night, while the world is in slumber

Oh, the times without number, Darling, when I say to you . . .

'Do you love me? As I love you?'

Sinatra gives his adoring audience (circa his 80th birthday) introductory words of appreciation for composer and arranger: “This is a marvelous song by Cole Porter – orchestrated by Johnny Mandel.”

Note the quality of this 'remote' recording: shades of Wally Heider, Hollywood's 'King of Remotes' (but a younger engineer whose name I used to know). Listen to the 'textured' sound of that stand-up acoustic bass on the long introduction: “It'll be Ash Wednesday,” quips Frank “by the time I get to the chorus.”

First version at YouTube this day 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA – I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)

“We shall call this next segment . . . 'Songs for Losers',” says Sinatra by way of introduction for a live concert performance of Hoagy Carmichael's I GET ALONG WITHOUT YOU VERY WELL – playing at this moment on Channel 71 from a concert half a century ago titled “London 1970.” Deflecting from the actual history of the song (based on a poem by a woman who never lived to hear how her poignant poem was crafted into one of Carmichael's best songs) Sinatra quips: “Here's a song of unrequited love …. girls running away from home, and all that kind of jazz.”

The first version at YouTube this day is this one. I see my namesake wrote a 'review' “2 years ago” that opined,

"THIS, surely is the best video version: Listen to the breath control, beginning around the 1:30 mark. Unless you are a singer – any kind of singer – you may not appreciate those 13-and-one-half seconds of phrasing – the sort that all the other singers say Frank did best. Meantime …. s'cuse me, I have something in my eye.

The song's modest Wiki entry reminds us that the full title includes the words “Except Sometimes.”

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I Get Along Without You Very Well" is a popular song composed by Hoagy Carmichael in 1939, with lyrics based on a poem written by Jane Brown Thompson, and the main melodic theme on the Fantaisie-Impromptu in C sharp minor, Op 66, by Frédéric Chopin.[1] Thompson's identity as the author of the poem was for many years unknown; she died the night before the song was introduced on radio by Dick Powell.[1]

The biggest-selling version was a 1939 recording by Red Norvo and his orchestra (vocal by Terry Allen).[2]

Carmichael and Jane Russell performed the song in the 1952 film noir The Las Vegas Story.[1]

Notable recordings [edit]

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• 1 month later...
  • Members

"A SCHUBERT TUNE WITH A GERSHWIN TOUCH"

If you hear a song in blue

like a flower crying for the dew

that was my heart serenading you

my prelude to a kiss . . .

It's been 55 years since composer Billy Strayhorn died. Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio just played my favorite version of his PRELUDE TO A KISS – title track from an album by my favorite living singer, Calabria Foti. Arranged by Calabria's trombone virtuoso husband Bob McChesney the band includes jazz piano great, composer and arranger Roger Kellaway. Really, isn't this lovely?

Melody by Billy Strayhorn with words by Irving Gordon (who left us December 1, 1996 age 81). Gordon's most famous composition (words & music) was Unforgettable, and he lived long enough to collect his biggest royalty cheque for Natalie Cole's re-recording as a duet with her father Nat – title track from her UNFORGETTABLE album – which Wiki says to date has sold 7.2 million copies in the U.S. Alone. There are expanded Wiki entries for both men and their collaborations with Duke Ellington. Irving Gordon's includes this informed note:

After Gordon was introduced to Duke Ellington in 1937, Ellington sometimes invited him to put lyrics to his compositions. However working with Ellington was probably one of the most difficult commissions there was, since most of the Ellington songs were really instrumental pieces whose singable potential only emerged after they had been played and recorded by one or another of the soloists in the Ellington orchestra.[1] While working as Ellington's lyricist, Gordon wrote the lyrics to Billy Strayhorn's piece "Prelude to a Kiss." 

From Wikipedia

William Thomas Strayhorn (November 29, 1915 – May 31, 1967)[1] was an American jazz composer, pianist, lyricist, and arranger, who collaborated with bandleader and composer Duke Ellington for nearly three decades. His compositions include "Take the 'A' Train", "Chelsea Bridge", "A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing", and "Lush Life".

Working with Ellington[edit]

Photo by Carl Van Vechten (August 14, 1958)

Strayhorn's relationship with Ellington was always difficult to pin down: Strayhorn was a gifted composer and arranger who seemed to flourish in Duke's shadow. Ellington was arguably a father figure and the band was affectionately protective of the diminutive, mild-mannered, unselfish Strayhorn, nicknamed by the band "Strays", "Weely", and "Swee' Pea". Ellington may have taken advantage of him,[6] but not in the mercenary way in which others had taken advantage of Ellington; instead, he used Strayhorn to complete his thoughts and introduce new musical ideas,[7] while giving him the freedom to write on his own and enjoy at least some of the credit he deserved. Though Duke Ellington took credit for much of Strayhorn's work, he did not maliciously drown out his partner. Ellington would make jokes onstage like, "Strayhorn does a lot of the work but I get to take the bows!"[8]

Edited by Mark Blackburn