GREAT MELODY, GREAT LYRIC, GREAT RENDITION

Mark Blackburn

• Members

FRANK SINATRA – Moonlight Serenade

I'd just been thinking, while listening to Moonlight Serenade, that it's easier to name the greatest of songwriters who were NOT Jewish (Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, Jimmy Van Heusen - Episcopalians all) than to list those who are!
Lots of 'Anglo' names in their Wikipedia entries -- like “Mitchell Parish” -- born “Michael Hyman Pashelinsky.” Like Sammy Cahn, Mitch was someone composers could turn-to for a great lyric penned in record time. Think of the words he wrote for Hoagy Carmichael's STARDUST and Leroy Anderson's SLEIGH RIDE. The latter composed in 1946 with words by Mr. Parish added in 1950 within days of the request reaching him.

At this moment Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing the definitive version of MOONLIGHT SERENADE – a recording from the 60s --whose opening orchestral flourish is my favorite by Nelson Riddle, summoning-up moon-dappled leaves shimmering in a night breeze, with pizzicato plucked strings tip-toeing onto the scene like a little deer. (Just the way I hear it in my mind's ear.)

Mitch Parish wrote those perfect words to the Glen Miller tune, first recorded, Wiki says, as an instrumental: “The song evolved from a 1935 version entitled "Now I Lay Me Down to Weep", with music by Glenn Miller and lyrics by Eddie Heyman to a version called "Gone with the Dawn" with lyrics by George Simon,[4] and "The Wind in the Trees" with lyrics by Mitchell Parish.

Mitch Parish, 92 when he died in Manhattan in 1993, was born to a Jewish family in Lithuania.[1][2] His family emigrated to the United States, arriving on February 3, 1901 on the SS Dresden when he was less than a year old. They settled first in Louisiana where his paternal grandmother had relatives, but later moved to New York City.

By the late 1920s Parish was a well-regarded Tin Pan Alley lyricist in New York City.

His best-known works include the lyrics to songs such as "Stardust", "Sweet Lorraine", "Deep Purple", "Stars Fell on Alabama", "Sophisticated Lady", the translation to English lyrics of "Volare" and "Blue Skirt Waltz", "Moonlight Serenade", "Mr. Ghost Goes to Town", "Sleigh Ride", "One Morning in May", and "Louisiana Fairy Tale", which was the first theme song used in the PBS Production of This Old House.

In 1987, a revue titled Stardust was staged on Broadway featuring Parish's lyrics. It ran for 101 performances and was revived in 1999. In an interview at the time Parish claimed to have also written the lyrics to the Duke Ellington standard "Mood Indigo" though they were credited to Irving Mills. He remained "somewhat rueful, though no longer bitter" about it.[4]

Parish's grandnephew was the Grateful Dead roadie Steve Parish, who described Parish's meeting with Jerry Garcia in his autobiography, Home Before Day Light.

In 1972, he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.[5]

Most viewed version at YouTube this day, with a thoughtful slide show

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

As if to say, Aren't you forgetting someone?

As if in response to my posting (above) Siriusly Sinatra is playing “Joe Williams Count Basie – There Will Never Be Another You” – my favorite song by my second favorite composer -- after Richard Rodgers – "Salvatore Guaragna" aka Harry Warren. (My go-to song when trying out a new guitar at music stores.) Yes, with a name like that you know he was Catholic – and the only one of us in the pantheon of songwriting greats.

How great was Harry Warren? He had 21 No. 1 hits by almost as many artists and (from memory) three “Best Original Song” Academy Award winners: (Come on along and listen to) THE LULLABY OF BROADWAY . . . let's see, what are the others? Oh the one with a lyric by Johnny Mercer, ON THE ATCHISON TOPEKA AND THE SANTA FE. And his best Oscar-winner (says me) YOU'LL NEVER KNOW.

Is the Joe Williams & Count Basie recording at YouTube? Yes!

“Live at Orchestra Hall, Detroit” with one of Sinatra's great arrangers Frank Foster conducting the Basie Band [with 26 (correct) views and 'zero' thumbs up (go figure)]

• Members

YENNE LEE – Autumn Leaves (classical -style variations)

The greatest violins from Cremona Italy – Stradivari, Amati and Guarneri stringed instruments from 350+ years ago, all have spruce tops and maple back and sides: the best combination of tone woods to project a well-balanced large volume sound. But until this minute, I'd never seen a quality, classical nylon-string guitar with a body carved from maple wood.

Sent my way by YouTube immediately after playing my all-time favorite version of Autumn Leaves – a live solo guitar and vocal performance by the late great Eva Cassidy.

When I grow up I want to play solo guitar variations of AUTUMN LEAVES – just like “Yenne Lee [with] her 2004 Pepe Romero Jr.” Music that soothes the soul, just when you need it.

Sure enough, most recent comment below the video from Viviana Molinares (1 day ago)

"It’s so peaceful that I want to sleep, yet I dare not miss a single note. Transcending."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

My favorite new tourist video: 'On the sunny side of the street' in Barcelona

Catholic friends, especially at my church, here in the "world's coldest major city" Winnipeg Canada, have reasons of their own to be in Barcelona Spain. All of them, I know, want to “go back there” just as soon as the world returns to normal. Especially in late August or early September when the weather is perfect. To better appreciate, please see this 8 minute video (below).

Google to learn that "Barcelona, the cosmopolitan capital of Spain’s Catalonia region, is known for its art and architecture" [ranging from] "the fantastical Sagrada Família church and other modernist landmarks [to] Roman archaeological sites" -- as old as Spain itself.

The Barcelona City Guide speaks at length about the music festivals. But my friends say you can be visiting a cafe and suddenly find yourself enjoying world class jazz musicians and singers – talented young people who may never be known outside their own neighborhood. Case in point. From September of 2019 just before 'the music died' in public settings everywhere.

Compelled to watch this a third time, to see all the 'person' details I missed, while focusing (naturally) on the music alone. Spanish Ladies do have an appeal 'all their own' don't they?

Oh yes, I'm a guitarist and that grey-haired virtuoso, playing a D'Angelico (replica) stage left, is channeling Les Paul on his infectious solo. I want to reach out and shake his hand -- buy him a drink -- and tell him things he may not know about his own guitar. Prepare to smile.

• Members
Favorite "comment" below video from JAMES SIDNEY (5 months ago) who writes:

"I know a lot of jazz musicians here in New York who have moved on to a whole different thing, but they must be looking at this and just saying “damn.” This is beautiful. As others here have said, the vocabulary and the tradition of American jazz is all here. But this has an extra element that we’ve been missing in America for some time: joy! Louis Armstrong would be wrapping his arms around these folks and kissing and hugging them tight.

Somebody, I don’t know who, has to be the teacher/guru behind this. How do scenes like this emerge? Hard to believe this is just kind of happening by itself right now in Spain of all places. The playfulness, the happiness, the spirit. Just awesome. The little breakdown with the castanets that happens after the guitar solo, and the whole gang singing the lyric on the final chorus with their arms around each other. That tells you everything you need to know. These guys are on to something great, and they aren’t looking to the United States of America for permission or approval. Great video. Thank you for posting. It moved me."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

STAN GETZ – Corcovado (with a little help from Brazilian friends)

Remember “Compact Jazz”? Years before I purchased my first CD player, I can remember being thrilled by this series, available on cassette (remember those?) – “Best Of” compilations featuring an artist – like Wes Montgomery – with extensive liner notes from another giant of his instrument – in Wes' case, George Benson. I forget which pianist wrote the notes for Bill Evans. Or for that matter, which tenor sax virtuoso spoke to the greatness of STAN GETZ – whose “Compact Jazz” album cover is streaming right now on my computer as Siriusly Sinatra plays my favorite track – CORCOVADO – with vocals from Astrud Gilberto and the composer himself, A.C. Jobim – the musical greats who introduced us to this song.

I remember holding the cassette cover on a sunny summer's day circa 1985 and thinking: “Really, can life get better than this?” Decades later "I happily concede," (to borrow from another song, playing right this minute) . . . “this is all I ask . . . this is all that I need.” A 'live' version by Sinatra introducing “Gordon Jenkins' wonderful song – he wrote the words and music and arrangement” of This Is All I Ask. “Children everywhere, when you shoot at bad men – shoot at me ...." Let's talk about that one 'some other time.' Oh no! At this moment -- just for me – literally – “IT WAS ME” by Tony Bennett (see above). Stop it, Jersey Lou Simon, I have work to do.

Let's dance with the one that brought us -- Getz, Gilberto & Jobim. It's at YouTube, the entire album! – with the original Verve LP cover. Cued up for your listening pleasure.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

GERRY MULLIGAN – Night Lights

The very next offering sent my way from YouTube -- as if to say, 'You liked that – remember loving THIS?'. The baritone sax (and piano) of Gerry Mulligan with "Night Lights" (1963). First three “comments” below video speak for those of us 'of an age.' The first one has 3.9K 'thumbs up' and 62 replies. It happens when your thoughts 'strike a chord' with our hearts.

Hmpz36911 (1 year ago)
I'm waiting for the dry, aged voice of a private detective to come in and give us the rundown.

Paul West (1 year ago)
The older I get, the more I adore jazz. It's about the only music I can still listen to with extended attention and maintain a high level of enjoyment and a great mood.

Lindon Lamont ( 1 year ago)
This music makes me wish I was in a quiet Manhattan bar with a glass of bourbon in front of me.

Charles Murphy (10 months ago)
When you're in your early 50's and realize your parents and grandparents were cooler than you were...
Entire album at YouTube -- 4,252,062 views•Nov 9, 2016. [Needs to be cued up at 0:00 - opening track]

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

ROSEMARY CLOONEY – Sweet Kentucky Ham

I've pulled up at the A&W drive-thru to pick up a “Teen Burger w. onion rings/root beer combo” and wondering, not for the first time, if Canadians alone have been enjoying A&W for the past 65 years. Then, as now, they sell the best root beer and onion rings that money can buy. And at the very moment I'm handed my meal Rosemary Clooney is on 'Nancy For Frank' singing a witty hymn to 'Sweet Kentucky Ham.'

Nancy reminds us that this one was written by Dave Frishberg (who turns 88 next month) and is from the perspective of a musician "like my good friend Rosemary" out on tour and in some small diner where it's 'steak & eggs' instead of that sweet delicacy from back home. "And Rosemary was from Kentucky," says Nancy.

Like most every lyric that Dave Frishberg ever composed, this one is 'the soul of wit' as a great English playwright once said, in praise of “brevity.”
Words like these:

It's ten p.m., they're rollin' up the sidewalk in Milwaukee
And the only place to eat, is just across the street.
So you sit there with a bowl of navy beans
and you turn the pages of a magazine
And you feel you wanna quit while you're behind.
'Cause you've got sweet Kentucky ham on your mind . . .

Please, be at YouTube. Even better! a live television performance “at a jazz festival held on the lawn of the White House, the summer of 1993” – complete with intro by Rosie – whose rendition is so fine it transcends the limitations of that old VHS tape.

Thanks to the kind soul who uploaded this, exactly 12 years ago (February 2009 - to 25K “views”).

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA on using stage fright (nerves) to your advantage

Recalling a moment when Frank was in his 70s and was asked by a reporter, “Do you ever get nervous when you are on stage?” Our favorite singer said "Yes . . .

“Every time my name is announced, the little voice inside my head says, ‘Do I still have it? Do I still have it?'”

Frank told a young Tony Bennett (backstage in his dressing room at New York's Parmount Theater) that nervousness is the best thing that can happen to you – precisely because it makes you more vulnerable, and the audience can sense that and be on your side. (A paraphrase from memory.)

Is there anything you can't find at YouTube? Fast forward to 1:21 where Tony says that when they met, Frank spotted his nervousness and said to Tony, “What's the matter, kid?”

“I was pretty frightened [about hosting a summer replacement TV show)] and Frank gave me great advice. He said, 'Don't worry about that. The public can sense if you are nervous – and they will support you, even more. And you'll [realize your nervousness] 'is one of the best things that could ever happen!'.”

• Members

Harry Nilsson with Gordon Jenkins & London Symphony musicians - "in concert" (1973)

On her latest, weekly three-hour show on Sirius radio, Nancy Sinatra included two songs by her friend Harry Nilsson – whose skill set included the ability to hold a note longer than almost anyone other than her father. [Somewhere on her Sinatra Family Forum there's a story about Harry teaching Nancy how to extend a sung note, through multiple phrases. I forget which song.]

Just went in search of Harry's REMEMBER (Christmas) – my favorite of his own compositions – and happened upon a complete video recording (40 minutes) of Harry with Sinatra's great arranger Gordon Jenkins and the album of standards that became (in 1973) A LITTLE TOUCH OF SCHMILSSON IN THE NIGHT. [Fast forward to 1:20 for the start of Harry's vocals.]

This was recorded at a time when no other young pop star with chart-topping songs was recording an album of standards. Linda Ronstadt's multi-platinum selling albums with Nelson Riddle were still a decade distant in the future. This album took our breath away, it was just so wonderful.

Gordon Jenkins was proud of this late-in-life collaboration. So was producer Derek Taylor, the Beatles' "publicist" who introduced Lennon and McCartney to Harry Nilsson (sent them one of his early albums). Derek was among the last employees to leave when Apple records closed its doors. 

WIKIPEDIA NOTE: A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night is a 1973 album of classic 20th-century standards sung by American singer Harry Nilsson. The album was arranged by Frank Sinatra's arranger Gordon Jenkins, and produced by Derek Taylor. In 1988, it was reissued as A Touch More Schmilsson in the Night, containing an intro and outro (studio chatter) and six additional songs from the recording sessions.

This album is notable in being a standards album produced a decade before such works started to become popular again.[1] The title is an allusion to Shakespeare's Henry V, Act 4, in which the Chorus refers to Henry's nocturnal visit to his troops as "a little touch of Harry in the night".
Edited by Mark Blackburn
p.s. New, latter-day Hi-Def version (2020) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYbNaFnU4Eg

• Members

Jeremy Lubbock

You may not know his name but you've certainly heard his music. English-born arranger Jeremy Lubbock has died at home in England, age 89. In a world where few care to ask, “Who wrote that song?” (and even fewer, “Who arranged it?) Lubbock fans believe his passing merits some attention. [A short list at Wiki of his greatest achievements.]

Jeremy Michael Lubbock (4 June 1931 – 29 January 2021) was a Grammy-winning English pianist, conductor, orchestrator, music producer, arranger, composer, and songwriter . . .

He moved to Los Angeles with his family in 1977, and worked on Joni Mitchell's album Mingus, and Minnie Riperton's final album Minnie. In following years, he worked with David Foster, Quincy Jones, Chicago, and many others.

He won Grammy Awards for his arrangements on Chicago's "Hard Habit to Break" in 1984, and for Celine Dion's "When I Fall in Love", from the film Sleepless in Seattle, in 1994. He also received 11 additional nominations for his arrangements.

As a songwriter, Lubbock co-wrote "The Best of Me", recorded by Cliff Richard, Barry Manilow, and many others.

----

Canada's other greatest living jazz singer/pianist, Carol Welsman just shared the news with Facebook friends:

"Last Friday, the world lost one of the most talented people I have ever known. I was so fortunate to have met Jeremy through David Foster when we were working on 'On a Slow Boat to China' with vocalist Renee Olstead. Little did I know that our relationship would blossom into a beautiful friendship that would last over two decades.

"I discovered his songwriting 25 years before when I heard 'Not Like This' -- his composition, recorded by the iconic Al Jarreau. I was living in Europe at the time that song came out, and it absolutely stopped me in my tracks. I asked my musicians who the composer was of such a brilliant song. They replied 'Jeremy Lubbock.'

"Once we had made our acquaintance [ ] Jeremy asked me if I’d sing his song demos, and I happily agreed. What an honor to be one of his “vocalists” who would continue to sing his demo recordings until late last year.

"It’s hard to believe Jeremy has left us. I have recent voicemails saved with him wishing me Happy Christmas 2020 and a Happy New Year, and saying how wonderful our chats had been. I will never erase them. Bon voyage Jeremy."

-----

His best years . . .

1994 was exceptional for Lubbock, in that he received three Grammy nominations out of a possible five in his category; for Barbra Streisand's "Luck Be a Lady Tonight", Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing" and "When I Fall In Love" from "Sleepless in Seattle", which won him his third Grammy. He also received a 1999 nomination for Barbra Streisand's "I Believe" / "You'll Never Walk Alone" from the "Higher Ground" album.

Let's celebrate that last one: a two-song medley; the first – "I Believe" -- a popular song from 1953, written by Ervin (It Was A Very Good Year) Drake (assisting friends with writer's block – Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl and Al Stillman). Part two -- the show-stopper from Rodgers & Hammerstein's favorite musical Carousel. An arrangement that for his fans is 'unmistakably Jeremy Lubbock.'

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Remembering TORVILL & DEAN

They took “ice dancing” to a whole new level . . .

My wife and I went to see Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean when they performed here in Winnipeg Canada nearly 30 years ago. Like millions of fans around the world we came for their “Bolero” routine. They did not disappoint. Like two birds in flight -- four minutes of artless perfection. Like masters in any field, they made it look easy. Yes, talk about 'raising the bar.'

Their "1994 Olympics" performance is there at YouTube. Can it still give you goosebumps? Oh yes. Guaranteed! "or double your money back."

Today, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean are 63 and 62 respectively, and when asked if they would still be performing in their 70s, the latter jokingly replied: "Shoot us if we are!" before adding: "On the ice, I'm not as fast, I can feel that. So we have to be as creative as we can from a movement point of view to make up for it."

Torvill agreed, stating: "I don't know when we'll call it a day. We tried to retire in the 90s then Dancing on Ice popped up and suddenly we found ourselves performing again. And while we still love it, and can do it to a level we're happy with, we'll keep on. But I don't know about when I'm 77."
Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

FRANK SINATRA – When You Were Sweet Sixteen

You probably never heard of it – a song from 1898 (correct) which sold over a million copies of sheet music and was No 1 on record charts – twice in one year. Performed by Sinatra on radio before a live studio audience with “orchestra and chorus arranged by Axel Stordahl.”

Shared this day by 'my other favorite Irene' – Sinatra Family member “Irene Soggia” of Italy, who with the help of a translator, said:

”Listening to his voice with that still embryonic timbre knowing that it will then become unmistakable from the first sung word … it is also indescribable to express.”

----

Just looked up “village green” – as in, “When I was 17” [and with] “small town girls” . . . “we'd hide from the lights, on the village green.”

The term originated in 14th century England to describe what Wiki says was . . .

A common open area within a village [that] was common grassland with a pond for watering cattle and other stock,[citation needed] often at the edge of a rural settlement. Later, planned 'greens' were built into the centers of villages.[1]

[Village greens] also provided an open-air meeting place for the local people [and] for public celebrations such as May Day festivities. [Not to mention night time activities; Okay, I added that part.]

As to the song, it has its own Wikipedia entry quoting from lyrics "that are typical of the sentimental ballads of the 1890s. The form is strophic, two verses with a chorus.

Chorus:
I love you as I never lov'd before,
Since first I met you on the village green
Come to me, or my dream of love is o'er.
I love you as I lov'd you
When you were sweet, sweet sixteen

Early recordings[edit]

"When You Were Sweet Sixteen" which sold over a million copies of sheet music, was the number one record in 1900. First recorded by Jere Mahoney on Edison Records, it became the number one record in April and held the spot for five weeks;[clarification needed] it was also recorded by George J. Gaskin on Columbia and in November this record rose to number one as well, remaining so for eight weeks.

After 1946[edit]

Perry Como's recording of April 10, 1947 was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-2259. The record first charted in Billboard on August 16, 1947 and lasted 12 weeks on the chart, peaking at #2. The song was one side of a two-sided hit; the flip side, "Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go to Sleep)", reached #1.

The 1947 revival of the song led to a number of artists recording it that year.

Sinatra recorded it on radio before a live studio audience – but never in a recording studio.

• Members

DIANA KRALL – More Than You Know

About the only multi-tasking I can do – and enjoy – is listening to Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio, while flying my flight simulator FSX Steam edition, through places of great beauty. Like the Italian alps, Lake District which is where I am now.

And at this same moment Channel 71 is playing Diana Krall, alone at the piano, with one of my most favorite standards, MORE THAN YOU KNOW. Except it's not Diana at the keyboard; It sounds like Alan Broadbent – a New Zealand -born arranger and composer who conducted Winnipeg Symphony musicians on Diana's last visit here when she sold out our NHL hockey arena. I have two of his solo albums and know his 'sound' by heart.

Check with Wikipedia and sure enough, it's Alan on piano – from Diana's latest album:

THIS DREAM OF YOU is the fifteenth studio album by Canadian singer Diana Krall, released on September 25, 2020, by Verve Records.[1] The album spawned two singles released in August 2020.

The album is named after Krall's rendition of the Bob Dylan song from his album Together Through Life (2009).[2] The release is a collection of Krall's scores of studio recordings that she performed with her longtime producer Tommy LiPuma before his death in 2017. The album was finished in May 2020 and produced by Krall herself.[1] The "Autumn in New York" video was created to raise awareness for New York Cares, the largest volunteer organization in New York City founded in 1987.[3]

----

Search for the video at YouTube: First offering this night is THIS one (with 5 “views” and zero comments) – with a beautiful scene taken by a drone or helicopter, traveling in slow motion up a narrow mountainous river valley, in what looks exactly like what's on my flight simulator screen at the same instant.

Carl Jung called this 'Syncronicity' (amazing coincidences). My Mom would tell Carl: “There ARE no coincidences.” You know what she meant. Yes, track 5 on Diana Krall's THIS DREAM OF YOU album.

• Members

WILLIE NELSON – Summer Wind

Willie Nelson's latest Sinatra tribute album is due out later this month (2/26/2021). At this moment, 'Jersey Lou' Simon, Channel 71's programmer extraordinaire, is playing his favorite track from Willie's previous Sinatra tribute album (MY WAY) – “The Summer Wind.” Spare instrumentation, sparkling recording engineering, and the best arrangement since the definitive version by our favorite singer. I think Frank would agree, don't you?

At YouTube? Even better! The "official video" with 420K “views”

• Members

I remember back when cassettes were new (early 80s) and "Stan" the weatherman at our TV station in Winnipeg, danced into the newsroom -- big smile, humming and snapping his fingers, listening to his Walkman. He was listening to a Sinatra album and said: "I bought it just for my favorite song -- 'Summer Wind' --  playing right now. Shhh ...."

"Comments are turned off. Learn more." A pity.

• Members

SAMMY DAVIS JR. / LAURINDO ALMEIDA – Where is Love

Laurindo Almeida – the best-known guitarist from Brazil. Which is saying something! There were a bunch of them, including Luiz (Day in the Life of a Fool) Bonfa. Mr. Almeida moved to California so he could be on call – a go-to guitarist -- as when Frank Sinatra's arranger wanted a gut-string (classical), expertly played, on my favorite version of I ONLY MISS HER WHEN I THINK OF HER.

Mr. Almeida got the call for solo accompaniment on Sammy Davis Jr's album of Broadway standards: still my favorite 'human voice and solo guitar' recordings. The track playing right now, when I hit the “back 1 hr” function on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio, streaming on my computer. My all-time favorite 'intimate' rendition, of the show-stopper from the English musical OLIVER. (My musical father was there, the week it opened in a theater in London's West End (their 'Broadway').

Really, how could anyone improve upon this?

• Members

CHICK COREA & DAVE GRUSIN – “S'Wonderful”

It truly was -- “s'marvelous, and what I long to see . . . ” -- my all-time favorite 'four-handed' piano performance from Dave Grusin's 1990 album THE GERSHWIN CONNECTION. Chick Corea just left us, age 79. This great duet is never at YouTube, but someone two summers ago posted a 'transcription' which is, itself, marvelous you may agree. Giants in perfect sync and harmony, turning work into play -- making it sound so easy and fun!

[Wikipedia note updated today, with a short list of his achievements.]

ARMANDO ANTHONY 'CHICK' COREA (June 12, 1941 – February 9, 2021) was an American jazz composer, keyboardist, bandleader and occasional percussionist.[3] His compositions "Spain", "500 Miles High", "La Fiesta", "Armando's Rhumba" and "Windows" are widely considered jazz standards.[4] As a member of Miles Davis's band in the late 1960s, he participated in the birth of jazz fusion. In the 1970s he formed Return to Forever.[3] Along with Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Keith Jarrett and Bill Evans, he is considered one of the major piano players to emerge in jazz during the post-John Coltrane era.[5]

Corea continued to pursue multiple collaborations and to explore different musical styles throughout the 1980s and 1990s. He was also known for promoting and fundraising for a number of social issues.[6]

Corea won 23 Grammy Awards and was nominated over 60 times.[7]

• Members

In Canada Superbowl commercials are blacked out (long story, not very interesting) and next day we go in search of compilations, like this one.  They asked 'What's your favorite?'  I responded:

At 2:47 The returning astronauts popping open their capsule, bobbing in the ocean "Where is everyone?" Back at Mission Control they're applauding a stack of Pringles. Same with a passing freighter -- the Scandinavian crew having too much fun to notice what's bobbing in the sea off the port side of their ship. Funniest commercial I have ever seen. Apart from the opening 'every time it rains, it rains lemons from heaven.' As a great jazz violinist once said: "Open strong, and finish strong, and the middle will take care of itself." Case in point. Deepest thanks Jake's Top 10 for sharing this compilation of "The funniest 2021 Superbowl Commercials."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
  1. SINATRA – Summer Me, Winter Me

“Hey, what a double play combination!” says the voice of Frank Sinatra – a moment ago, on my “other favorite Sirius radio show” The Chairman's Hour: this, following my all-time favorite Don Costa arrangement, of maybe the best melody composed by Michel Legrand – SUMMER ME, WINTER ME for the movie The Summer of '42.

The late composer (France's greatest-ever?) asked his Oscar-winning collaborators 'The Bergmans' Marilyn and Alan to come up with a lyric. It's 'artful' – the lyric writing genius is on full, display. Not artless, like a lyric by Johnny Mercer; merely one of the poetic finest from a couple who, before they married, came up with 'Nice 'N' Easy.'

And every day I'll gentle you, tender you, and oh, the way I'll velvet you, clover you
    I'll wrap you up and ribbon you, rainbow you, and shower you with shine . . .
    Suddenly, magically, we found each other
    There we WERE, here we ARE . . . I plan to let you
    happy me, summer me, winter me, always be . . . mine!

Listed as a couple at Wikipedia which reminds us . . .

Alan Bergman (born September 11, 1925) and Marilyn Keith Bergman (born November 10, 1929) are American lyricists and songwriters. The pair have been married since 1958 and have written the music and lyrics for numerous celebrated television shows, films, and stage musicals. The Bergmans have won two Academy Awards for Best Original Song and have been inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
    [and]

The Bergmans' long relationship with the French composer Michel Legrand began in the late 1960s. The couple wrote English lyrics for Legrand's song "The Windmills of Your Mind" featured in The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), which won them their first Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 41st Academy Awards in 1969. The Bergmans and Legrand were subsequently nominated for the Best Original Song award in the following two years for "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" from The Happy Ending (1969) and "Pieces of Dreams" from the 1970 film of the same name.

The couple's minor work with Legrand in this period included "Listen to the Sea" from Ice Station Zebra (1968) and "Nobody Knows" and "Sweet Gingerbread Man" from The Magic Garden of Stanley Sweetheart (1970).[13] Legrand would also feature eight of the Bergman's lyrics on his 1972 album with Sarah Vaughan.[14]

In 1983 at the 55th Academy Awards, the Bergmans' work on "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" composed by Legrand for the film Best Friends would be nominated for the Best Original Song award.

The 55th Academy Awards was also significant as the Bergmans became the first songwriters ever to have written three of the five nominations for the Academy Award for Best Song, being nominated for "It Might Be You" from Tootsie (composed by Dave Grusin), and "If We Were in Love" from Yes, Giorgio (composed by John Williams), in addition to "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?".

At the subsequent Academy Awards, their work with Legrand on the 1983 film Yentl won them the Academy Award for Best Original Song Score or Adaptation Score, with the songs "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" and "The Way He Makes Me Feel" from the film also being nominated for the Best Original Song award.

[Plus, a note about two great arrangers we have celebrated here lately, and an album that Siriusly Sinatra has spotlighted:]

In 2007 Alan Bergman released his first album as a vocalist, Lyrically, Alan Bergman, featuring lyrics written by him and his wife and arranged by Alan Broadbent and Jeremy Lubbock.

• Members

WILLIE & DIANA -- I Won't Dance

Three and a half minutes of pure musical joy -- a duet, set in a retro-style cartoon, with Diana as the fan, chasing Willie till she catches him. [For Canadians 'of an age' it's reminiscent of Canada's 'National Film Board' cartoon short films of the 1960s – often Oscar-nominated, occasionally winners.]

Love the moment -- dockside when a ship named THAT'S LIFE is loading cargo by crane – with Willie clinging to the netting to hitch a ride – only to slip away, on the 'port' side, in a row boat.

Thanks to a senior Wise Man at Sinatra Family Forum 'Bob in Boston' for sharing a link to this one.

The playful words were penned in 1935 by my favorite female lyricist, Dorothy Fields, to a tune by Jerome Kern – one year before the pair won the 'Best Original Song' Oscar for 'The Way You Look Tonight.' [Wiki recalls details we'd forgotten!]

"I Won't Dance" is a jazz standard song with music by Jerome Kern, that has had two different sets of lyrics, the first written by Oscar Hammerstein II and Otto Harbach in 1934, the second written by Dorothy Fields (though Jimmy McHugh was also credited) in 1935. The two sets of lyrics share little but the common refrain of "I won't dance". The second set of lyrics is the much better known one, and the song in this form has been covered by many artists.

Kern, Hammerstein and Harbach originally wrote "I Won't Dance" for the 1934 London musical Three Sisters. However, Three Sisters flopped and was quickly forgotten.

The next year, Fields was hired to help with the music for a film version of the 1933 Kern-Harbach musical Roberta. The writing team decided to make use of "I Won't Dance" for the film, also named Roberta.[1] However, Fields rewrote nearly all of the lyrics, making the song more playful and suggestive by having the narrator refuse to dance because "I know that music leads the way to romance". The song became such a hit, largely due to the fact that it was performed by Fred Astaire, that it is now included in all stage revivals and recordings of Roberta.

• Members

SINATRA - "Glad to be Unhappy medley"

Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio just played the "Glad To Be Unhappy Medley." What's it from? I asked and the youngest of the wise men at Sinatra Family Forum instantly provided a link to THIS. I see I commented below the video "1 year ago. " I had no memory of this! Call it the 'upside of growing old' (I turn 74 soon). When you read something you wrote and say "I couldn't have put it better!"

The best Sinatra video I have ever seen . . . and I never saw it before tonight! (February 2020). Watched it for the very first time moments ago -- an inspired medley that begins with the opening verse from “Glad to Be Unhappy”

Look at yourself, if you had a sense of humor
You would laugh to beat the band
Look at yourself, do you still believe the rumor
That romance is simply grand?

Then suddenly it's “Here's That Rainy Day” – which segues into “It Never Entered My Mind” -- then “Gone With The Wind” -- then a reprise of “Rainy Day.” Sinatra the actor makes his song delivery seem so . . . candid and natural.

It helps that Don Costa did all the arranging. Again and again, I prefer a Costa arrangement over earlier Nelson Riddle and Gordon Jenkins orchestrations. Which is saying something!

Love the sounds of stormy weather (don't you?) and we hear some claps of thunder at just the right moments. . . . Quite simply my new favorite Sinatra video.

• Members

ROUNDERS (1998) - Matt Damon Gretchen Mol - closing scene

So many insightful comments, below a favorite closing scene; especially these, from musically literate, kindred souls:

MOON MAN (2 years ago)
The sound track is amazing and helped make the closing scenes what they are

JOHANN WILDER (1 year ago)
The musical theme at end of this clip sounds like the Great Depression scene from Cinderella Man.

Thanks too for a wonderful insight -- from someone who expressed it so well -- nailed it, in so few words:

M SOLO (10 months ago)
This movie is not about poker and its not about gambling those are just the vehicles to illustrate the point. It's about being true to yourself. That is what his whole conversation with Petrovsky was about he had to leave the path of becoming a rabbi to find to quote him "What I was born to do" even though it meant hurting his parents and Mike does the same to Jo he follows his path in life even though it means he will hurt her. Even if you look at how they separate. At 1:31 he glances back once and she watches from the time he gets in the cab till he leaves. And you can see she almost wants to cry. Anyways just my take on it and sorry for the long post!
Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

(the scene before - "Final Hand") ROUNDERS (1998)

My favorite role by John Malkovich playing "K.G.B" -- an endearingly honest, Russian-mob-connected owner of an underground poker den, that figures in the movie's opening and closing scenes.

I think it's my favorite starring role by Matt Damon -- as "Mike McDermott" -- a young master card player who initially trades the rounds of poker playing for a New York City law school.

Also my favorite role by Edward Norton as Mike's incorrigible (just-out-of-prison) inveterate gambling addicted friend -- risking his life, betting at cards.

Okay, one more favorite -- John Turturro: terrific, in a supporting role (his best, I think).

A 23 year old movie I didn't see for the first time until 2015! There it was tonight, for purchase cable: Was it really that good, I wondered? I had such fond memories about it -- especially the ending. I couldn't recall the exact details but I know the resolution was so plausible and made me feel good.

Mike's former girlfriend, a pretty blonde law student, says at the end: "Call me sometime . . . if you need a lawyer." Matt Damon's character: "I will. And I will!"

Last scene, in the back of a cab: "Take me to Kennedy Airport". The driver: "Where are you headed?" "Las Vegas." "Good luck."

And we hear young Mike McDermott thinking out loud: "The prize for the winner of the world poker championship is a million bucks. Does it have my name on it? "I don't know, but I'm going to find out."

-----

"He beat me. Straight up. Pay him. Pay that man his money."

Edited by Mark Blackburn