carvin to K12/Ksub upgrade questions

• Members

Hello all,

A few posts a while back, you all helped me decide on the AH MixWiz and I love it. Thank you all.

Now I am ready to upgrade FOH. Currently I use (2) carvin PM15a's and (2) carvin LS1801a's. I am looking at a deal for (2) K12's and (2) Ksub's (new) for $2500 plus either the subs or the PM15a's.

My question(s): would I be better off keeping the 18's and not get the Ksubs to use with the K12's and using money for other items I need? (drum mic's and DI's) or trading the PM15a's and keeping the 18's AND getting the K12's and when needed using all four? Or with a $2500 budget going with something altogether different.

Just trying to make the right purchase. I appreciate any help.

Billhead

• Members

Ksubs are troublesome in a lot of situations. They are very narrow and can easily fall over if you have a top on a pole above it. The standard fixed length pole that comes with the Ksub will not raise the tops to the proper level so that is also a problem. In some instances like a full dance floor the sub can get bumped. They don't sound too bad but they are just unsafe in certain situations. Keep the Carvins until you can afford a step up. The Ksub is pretty much lateral.

• Members

That's kind of how I was leaning. It makes sense.

If that's the case and I keep my subs. Should I look at something better than the K12's? I am at a point were I don't want to have to upgrade unless it's to a BIGGER system. The K12's cover what I need as far as power (100-maybe 150 people max) But I want quality more than anything else. as long as I'm within budget.

thanks

Billhead

• Members

When going with powered and processed options, it is really best to buy the matching components so that the processing acts as the manufacturer intends. The internal processing makes some assumptions as to what it's being used with. For example, the crossover slopes on the PRX are steeper than on the QSC by a factor of 2. Matching this up generally improves performance. Take full advantage of internal processing by matching things up.

• Members

Yes, because you can't (generally) bypass the internal processing on many cabinets, especially subs.

You could still use the eq functions on the DR's but that's a bit of overkill unless you already have one. Be sure to go back in and turn off everything else so you don't add an unexpected anomoly to the internal processing path of the DR.

• Members

hmm...lots to ponder. If I were to get just tops for now and stay with my carvin subs, I understand the internal processing will be troublesome. I am willing to deal with that for now and look at upgrading subs down the road.

I suppose what I am leaning towards is getting the best tops I can afford for now and upgrading subs down the road. I am not convinced I will be happy with the K12/Ksub setup for very long..? I have been down the road of budget speakers (not saying K12's are "budget") and it's been frustrating hearing the lack of clarity/definition show after show. I would like to get something I will be impressed with every show...Even if it means using all my cash right now for tops.

Kind of a rambly but I tend to way overthink everything...sorry!

Billhead

• Members

My rig lacks midrange definition. For instance acoustic guitars just get lost. Vocals bury themselves in the mix. Can't EQ them there. I end up having to blast them just so they can be understood.

I'll look at the RCF's...

Will look for a way to compare systems, hmm

oh yeah, and thanks for all the help!

Billhead

• Members
My rig lacks midrange definition. For instance acoustic guitars just get lost. Vocals bury themselves in the mix. Can't EQ them there. I end up having to blast them just so they can be understood.

That's typical of all but the most expensive 15" tops. 12's are a whole lot better sounding in mid grade tops. The Carvin subs you have will probably sound OK under a pair of better tops. Personally I don't like the conical horns of the K12's but YMMV. I'd check out the JBL PRX612M's if I was looking for tops in the price range of the K12's :) . I have a pair of Peavey PR-12D's I'm happy with but they are a step down in both cost and performance - but they'd still sound better than the Carvin tops you have and won't have any problem keeping up with the subs you have now.

Archived