NGD: Eastman E10-OM: CANCELED!

Glenn F

• Members

I do expect different results, lol. 

As for the whole GAS thing, yeah, the process stopped being fun a long time ago, especially when the first intended guitar doesn't ring my bell. There was a 3rd issue with this guitar: me. I noticed I was stumbling around on my other guitars. It was almost a complete neglect of my playing for well over a year, and my hands lost both their dexterity and callouses. Never happened that badly, it was scary. I have diabetes II, and I thought I was developing peripheral neuropathy. Been woodshedding the last couple of weeks and whatever skill I have on guitar is returning. So, I am confident about the Eastman this time.

Basically, though, I'm just like the Farside comic: "Just plain nuts."

Edited by Glenn F

• Members

It took until today to get here, due to a holiday last week. What can I say? The problem was entirely with me and my lack of practice. I've never experienced it to that degree. Kind of shocked, really. It's instructive that I looked for external reasons rather than the most obvious internal one: lack of practicing.

The post-setup E10OM is very easy to play, sounds gorgeous, looks gorgeous, and is a keeper. Any criticism I leveled above should be taken with a salt quarry.

• Like 1

• Members

I like happy endings.

They really are great guitars in my experience.   Less consistent than Martins, but often more responsive.

However, you still have to deal with the fact that they are clones of American icons made in Beijing.    This will either gnaw at your brain, or you will embrace it.

Edited by gitnoob

• Members

It's kind of a truce. 

Further thoughts:

it is more difficult to play than my Martins and Lakewoods. Returning to form means this isn't a deal breaker, as I can play it now without stumbling around, but it is a fact.  The frets, while properly dressed, are a bit high. Fingerpicking, the strings seem a bit stiff. Where it absolutely shines is chord strumming/picking, and use with a capo. The sound is clear, powerful, and sweet.

I have PB nano Lights on it now. I'll see how it feels with custom lights next change.

as for the guitar coming from the PRC, I have my qualms, sure. Only 4/16 of my guitars are from China. Not gonna lose sleep over it.

• Members
14 hours ago, Glenn F said:

IThe frets, while properly dressed, are a bit high. Fingerpicking, the strings seem a bit stiff.

Could be related.    Personally, I kinda like jumbo frets, but perhaps the string displacement is increased relative to lower-profile frets.    So many factors can impact feel.

• Members

Neck is also slightly chunkier than I am used to, and it is a short scale. All of these variables probably play some role. I put some .011-.052s on it, and it is much better, and no real sacrifice of sound depth. My wife said "that guitar doesn't need lights." She loves the sound, too. 

Gonna see if I can lower the action a little bit, too. 

If the sound wasn't what it is, I wouldn't be going to this trouble. 

• Members

After a thorough thrashing out with it last week, I've declared the truce over and am sending it back. Again. As I've said above, the guitar just doesn't suit my hands, and there's no getting around that. The sound was amazing, but that isn't enough. The shop has graciously allowed me leeway over the 30 day guarantee period to send it back (again) and choose another.

my first thought was a Blueridge BR-243A, and it is still in the running. There's something about owning a BR, mass produced dipped in poly that doesn't appeal, so I am trying out a small maker, BSG, for a spruce/mahogany OM.

trouble with having nice guitars is that I'm now harder to please. 

• Members
49 minutes ago, Glenn F said:

After a thorough thrashing out with it last week, I've declared the truce over and am sending it back. Again. As I've said above, the guitar just doesn't suit my hands, and there's no getting around that. The sound was amazing, but that isn't enough. The shop has graciously allowed me leeway over the 30 day guarantee period to send it back (again) and choose another.

my first thought was a Blueridge BR-243A, and it is still in the running. There's something about owning a BR, mass produced dipped in poly that doesn't appeal, so I am trying out a small maker, BSG, for a spruce/mahogany OM.

trouble with having nice guitars is that I'm now harder to please. 

Get yourself a nice classical. 

• Haha 1

• Members

This has become a real cliff-hanger.

I assume there are no shops near you where you can actually try out the guitar first, eh?

Skip the Blueridge.   It will just make you want the Eastman again.

Maybe a 15-series Martin?    I have loved every one I've tried (except for one dud).   All-mahogany gives you a warm tone you can't get with a spruce top, the 15-series is fairly lightly built, and you can't beat that modified low oval neck profile IMO.

• Members

Lol. My neurosis on full display...

It's been a while since the little mönkey has gotten out to play so crazily.

I already have a Taylor 320,:hog/sapele dread. Rib rattler, great for alt-tuning.

I want a good spruce/hog combo. The one I'm getting doesn't have an ebony fretboard, something I usually aim for.

it would be nice to walk into a local shop and there'd be 5 or 6 guitars all on my radar, waiting for me to try them out.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Yes, the string spacing on my new-ish Eastman E10 OM has had me a bit confused.  It seems to be normal spacing at nut and saddle.  But since I play it hours everyday, drawn to it for the sound and beauty, I think I am getting used to it.  I do have to pay attention or I get off the strings too.  It's teaching me to practice without looking.  The only other complaint I have is the weight.  The inner neck block is two pieces of pretty mahogany. Overkill?  Braces look good, sanded, pyramided, scalloped.  Is it all the ebony? board, peghead, bridge, strap button?  Every time I pick it up I'm reminded of the weight.  And each time I pick up my 20 year old J45 I'm again reminded of how much heavier the Eastman is.  

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Yeah. My collecting days are over, and I'm selling off 4 of my guitars. This was a hard one. The Eastman was gorgeous,but it wasn't comfortable for me. I tried out at least 4 others, settled on a Martin D-16GT, but the Micarta started to bug me. So, end of last August, I bought the Guild and the Martin is still up for sale.

Hope everyone got through the last 15 months ok. I bought the Guild after a preliminary cancer Dx, and then an op and 7 months of chemo and radiation. So, that's shifted my focus away from 'he who has the most toys at death wins' game, and going with the guitars I actually gravitate toward and play more. When the gits are sold, I'll be down to a relatively sane 13. at the peak of my insanity, I had around 28. I think. I lost count.

• Like 1