Sign in to follow this  
Phil O'Keefe

I made it mine for $199 with Amazon Prime...

1 minute ago, Vito Corleone said:

That's pretty cool!  But why only 2 octaves :(   The mini-moog was 3 1/2.  

Apparently the person who designed / made that decided to build it around an Alesis Q25 for some reason. I would have gone with more keys too, but then again, how many 37-44 note controllers with 5-pin DIN MIDI outputs are currently on the market? You'd probably have to use a 49 note controller. 

1 minute ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Apparently the person who designed / made that decided to build it around an Alesis Q25 for some reason. I would have gone with more keys too, but then again, how many 37-44 note controllers with 5-pin DIN MIDI outputs are currently on the market? You'd probably have to use a 49 note controller. 

Yep.  

More likely, I'll end up midi'ing it into my existing boards, but without being to access it easily, I'm better off using rack gear with presets.

I'm thinking it will likely end up just being a fun toy to play with at home.   But, oh, the fun!  :)

• Like 1

The speculation about their upcoming revivals is getting a little out of hand, fueled largely by Behringer themselves. All this talk about CS80, Solina, Jupiter 8 clones seems self defeating if they never come to fruition

42 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I was reading about that before I ordered mine. Apparently a software update (1.05?) had originally killed the ability to adjust that in favor of being able to have it respond to pitch bend commands after the note-off command is received. People naturally squalked about that... and Behringer gave them the ability to adjust the pitch bend range with version 1.06 and later of the firmware, but it's an either / or thing - you can have one, but not the other - your choice. I suspect we both have the newer v2 equipped models, but I haven't checked mine yet. 

The adjustment for pitch bend range is done with a sysex command. Page four of this thread has the specifics... 

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Musician/Firmware-1-05-Pitch-Bend-range-removed/td-p/215936

I'm not sure if this online (Chrome) editor will work or not, but FYI...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/04/18/free-behringer-model-d-settings-editor/

Page 30 of the manual...  

https://media63.musictribe.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0CQJ/MODEL D_M_EN.pdf

Thank you!!! That will make a HUGE playability difference!

Going to attempt this shortly. I really hate MIDI/sysex crap. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Notu said:

The speculation about their upcoming revivals is getting a little out of hand, fueled largely by Behringer themselves. All this talk about CS80, Solina, Jupiter 8 clones seems self defeating if they never come to fruition

I don't think I've seen Behringer make any claims about plans to recreate any of the boards you mentioned, but I could have easily missed it. :idk: 

A Jupiter 8 would probably be really popular. Roland did a Boutique version recently, but there are just too many controls IMHO for that synth to be easily usable in such a small format. There weren't many of the originals made, and it's still a monster synth IMO, so a full sized version would probably do well. Ditto that for the CS80... but again, what a monster. But so is the OB-Xa, and they're supposed to be working on a clone or two of that. 

Of the three that you mentioned, the Solina seems to me like it would be the most likely (and probably the easiest) of them for Behringer to make - and Behringer DID already do a version of one of Roland's string synths / vocoders - the VP-330:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/behringer-vocoder-vc340-authentic-analog-vocoder/l49129000000000

14 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

Thank you!!! That will make a HUGE playability difference!

Going to attempt this shortly. I really hate MIDI/sysex crap. 

You're welcome. :)

Lots of PC users are apparently using an app called MIDI Ox to do it... I have no experience with that app, so use at your own risk. 

http://www.midiox.com/

Please let me know how it goes... FYI, you may need to FIRST send a sysex command to turn off the note-off pitch bend capability and turn on the pitch bend adjustment capability before you send the sysex string to reset the pitch bend range to your desired value. 

• Thanks 1

They tease stuff on social media quite a bit, including Uli himself on Gearslutz. I mentioned those three because they've put out or interacted with those mockups (including the Solina in the Neutron/Model D form factor). On the one hand, they're doing outreach to see what people are wanting, but on the other wonder if there is going to be an onslaught of vaporware down the pipes.

I have a JU-06 boutique, and quite like the sound, and form factor as well. But Behringer has the Deepmind that is so much more for the money. I've no doubt they can do big beast classic performance synths eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

You're welcome. :)

Lots of PC users are apparently using an app called MIDI Ox to do it... I have no experience with that app, so use at your own risk. 

http://www.midiox.com/

Please let me know how it goes... FYI, you may need to FIRST send a sysex command to turn off the note-off pitch bend capability and turn on the pitch bend adjustment capability before you send the sysex string to reset the pitch bend range to your desired value. 

Turns out all that is unnecessary - the latest version of SynthTool from Behringer will update your Boog's firmware and then you can set pitchbend range right from the synth tool . Worked like a charm! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Ant said:

Turns out all that is unnecessary - the latest version of SynthTool from Behringer will update your Boog's firmware and then you can set pitchbend range right from the synth tool . Worked like a charm! 

Glad to hear it - thanks Anton. I'll try to update mine over the weekend. 

2 hours ago, Notu said:

They tease stuff on social media quite a bit, including Uli himself on Gearslutz. I mentioned those three because they've put out or interacted with those mockups (including the Solina in the Neutron/Model D form factor). On the one hand, they're doing outreach to see what people are wanting, but on the other wonder if there is going to be an onslaught of vaporware down the pipes.

I have a JU-06 boutique, and quite like the sound, and form factor as well. But Behringer has the Deepmind that is so much more for the money. I've no doubt they can do big beast classic performance synths eventually.

Did you see the announcement about the new JU-06a? It looks even more like a classic Juno IMO, and they did away with the mod and pitch bend strips and added a Juno 60 mode and a Juno 60-style arpeggiator to it... it looks pretty darned cool IMHO, and to be honest, it was kind of satisfying to watch all the price-gougers on the usual auction sites suddenly dropping their (IMHO outlandishly inflated) prices on used JU-06's as the news spread. 

1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Did you see the announcement about the new JU-06a? It looks even more like a classic Juno IMO, and they did away with the mod and pitch bend strips and added a Juno 60 mode and a Juno 60-style arpeggiator to it... it looks pretty darned cool IMHO, and to be honest, it was kind of satisfying to watch all the price-gougers on the usual auction sites suddenly dropping their (IMHO outlandishly inflated) prices on used JU-06's as the news spread. 

I did see it, I wish I had some insider knowledge so I could have offloaded my price gouged unit to afford the new one! Still only 4 voices though... Between this and my regular minilogue I have some outdated gear that will be hard to sell to trade up. That's why I mention the Deepmind, true analog and 3× the voices plus effects... I'm just not sure Roland or Korg are ticking the right boxes for me in the near future

I'm responding a little late, but, yes I too grabbed a Neutron from Amazon when the price went down (already had the Model D so didn't get one).  It looks like the prices are back up now.

• Like 1

Yeah, I’m not sure why they went down for a while, then back up. :idk: but I’m glad I was able to get my Model D for such a great price!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Yeah, I’m not sure why they went down for a while, then back up. :idk: but I’m glad I was able to get my Model D for such a great price!

all the trade tariffs,  ta riff,  the riff

happy with mine

Edited by nice keetee
  • Like 1