I made it mine for $199 with Amazon Prime...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members
23 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I've always loved the sound of that board, but could never afford one when they were new. Well, I could... but I always had other priorities. Might be tempted to get one myself, depending on what the price looks like. Have you heard any rumors about that? 

I heard now it will be 2020 before it makes its appearance and it’s supposed to be identical.

i had one on the road with me in 1987 with MIDI, it was such a badass synth and can’t wait to get it back. I did buy the OB-6 when it came out a few years ago but it’s not the same (to me anyway)

D2BE68DA-1BDE-46B1-B156-C757209DD6C1.jpeg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Crazyfoo said:

I heard now it will be 2020 before it makes its appearance and it’s supposed to be identical.

i had one on the road with me in 1987 with MIDI, it was such a badass synth and can’t wait to get it back. I did buy the OB-6 when it came out a few years ago but it’s not the same (to me anyway)

D2BE68DA-1BDE-46B1-B156-C757209DD6C1.jpeg

I love that picture of you - you look like you're having a blast, and IMO that's a big part of what playing music should be all about. :)

Electronically they're probably shooting for "identical" like they did with the Model D, but from the prototype pics I've seen, it looks like the keyboard version (there are module version photos too) looks a bit slimmed down from the original, without as much "depth" to the body - which IMHO would be nice; the originals were huge beasts, as you well know!

• Moderators

Bill Payne of Little Feat ruined the whole Oberheim thing for me - and that's even before the whole late 70s-early 80s "corporate rock" obsession with it. I mean yeah, it was a VERY advanced board for its time with a highly distinctive sound... but ugh :lol:

Wow - now Amazon Prime now shows them as being $222.99, and from the same dealer (Alto Music) - the prices keep changing almost daily. I had it in my cart first at $199, then it went up to $227 (I thought that was because I wasn't logged in and therefore wasn't seeing the Prime deal) and then when it went back to $199, I snagged it right away. If anyone else is interested, you might want to wait and check the prices over the course of the next day or two - it might drop again. 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Wow - now Amazon Prime now shows them as being $222.99, and from the same dealer (Alto Music) - the prices keep changing almost daily. I had it in my cart first at $199, then it went up to $227 (I thought that was because I wasn't logged in and therefore wasn't seeing the Prime deal) and then when it went back to $199, I snagged it right away. If anyone else is interested, you might want to wait and check the prices over the course of the next day or two - it might drop again. 

I snagged it last night for $199 and noticed the same thing. If people don't mind dealing with habitually MAP-breaking sleazeballs, Pro Audio Star always drops prices after business hours on Fridays, only to have everything at MAP 1st thing Monday morning - but I won't go there, having personally gotten them fired from two different manufacturers for breaking rules :lol::lol:

Well, the Boog just arrived a little while ago. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet; just take it out of the box and look it over. Physically it's a bit wider and significantly taller than my Roland Boutique synth modules (I have a TB-03 and a pair of JX-03's), but it's really not all that dissimilar. There's a bit more room on the Model D's top panel, and there's a decent amount of space around the controls so you can actually get to them fairly easily without hitting something you didn't intend to. Then again, I don't think the control density on the JX-03 is all that bad either, so YMMV. 

There's a much better selection of patch points available on it than the Boutiques have too, and they even threw in a couple of 1/8" patch cables, as well as what looks to be a roughly 1' long ribbon cable - I'm not sure what that's about. I guess I'll have to RT(F)M to find out. :idk:  

The external build quality looks a bit better than I expected, and all of the knobs and switches seem to be pretty sturdy, without any wobble or other weirdness. So far, so good! 

I'll try to fire it up and give it a listen later tonight... 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Well, the Boog just arrived a little while ago. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet; just take it out of the box and look it over. Physically it's a bit wider and significantly taller than my Roland Boutique synth modules (I have a TB-03 and a pair of JX-03's), but it's really not all that dissimilar. There's a bit more room on the Model D's top panel, and there's a decent amount of space around the controls so you can actually get to them fairly easily without hitting something you didn't intend to. Then again, I don't think the control density on the JX-03 is all that bad either, so YMMV. 

There's a much better selection of patch points available on it than the Boutiques have too, and they even threw in a couple of 1/8" patch cables, as well as what looks to be a roughly 1' long ribbon cable - I'm not sure what that's about. I guess I'll have to RT(F)M to find out. :idk:  

The external build quality looks a bit better than I expected, and all of the knobs and switches seem to be pretty sturdy, without any wobble or other weirdness. So far, so good! 

I'll try to fire it up and give it a listen later tonight... 

Nice! Two more days till mine arrives...

I think you'll like it Anton - at least if the sound is up to expectations. It looks surprisingly well built for a two hundred dollar analog synth module. 

On further thought, I think that the included ribbon cable is for use if you want to mount it into a Eurorack case - probably a power cable, but that's just a guess. I think the included power supply is a wall wart, but I haven't even opened up the PS box yet. :lol:

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I think you'll like it Anton - at least if the sound is up to expectations. It looks surprisingly well built for a two hundred dollar analog synth module. 

On further thought, I think that the included ribbon cable is for use if you want to mount it into a Eurorack case - probably a power cable, but that's just a guess. I think the included power supply is a wall wart, but I haven't even opened up the PS box yet. :lol:

I'm having the hardest time finding a keyboard stand extension that would work well for the Boog. I dont want a multi-tiered stand, just a small extension/shelf. This is for live gigs so I want the Boog easily accessible for changing settings on the fly, preferably with my left hand.

15 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

I'm having the hardest time finding a keyboard stand extension that would work well for the Boog. I dont want a multi-tiered stand, just a small extension/shelf. This is for live gigs so I want the Boog easily accessible for changing settings on the fly, preferably with my left hand.

How about something like a laptop shelf mounted on a mic stand? 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSA5000--on-stage-stands-msa5000-laptop-mount

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, erok123 said:

You like it? I was thinking of getting the Nuetron. More patch-ability.

I actually want LESS patchability - this is mainly for performance, not tweaking. 

It sounds and works like a Minimoog, period. No detectable differences so far.

I have yet to figure out how to be able to set my preferred pitch bend range or to trigger the LFO with my controller's mod wheel, but other than that I'm completely satisfied.

31 minutes ago, erok123 said:

You like it? I was thinking of getting the Nuetron. More patch-ability.

Yeah - sorry for the late report - I finally got a chance to play with it for just a little bit last night. 

Short version? It basically sounds and works just like a Model D. It's surprisingly authentic sounding. Now I REALLY can't wait for their Pro 1 to come out. I'm hoping that will be included with the other things that are slated to ship in the spring. 

• Members

At that price I may have to pick one up just for the hell of it.   But I have hard time finding much usefulness of it being a rackmount module.    Part of the whole deal of a Mini Moog was having the controls right above the keyboard and making adjustments on the fly.   I suppose I can put it in a rack and somehow try to position it above a controller or another keyboard?

Not very practical for live gigs though.

23 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

I have yet to figure out how to be able to set my preferred pitch bend range or to trigger the LFO with my controller's mod wheel, but other than that I'm completely satisfied.

I was reading about that before I ordered mine. Apparently a software update (1.05?) had originally killed the ability to adjust that in favor of being able to have it respond to pitch bend commands after the note-off command is received. People naturally squalked about that... and Behringer gave them the ability to adjust the pitch bend range with version 1.06 and later of the firmware, but it's an either / or thing - you can have one, but not the other - your choice. I suspect we both have the newer v2 equipped models, but I haven't checked mine yet. 

The adjustment for pitch bend range is done with a sysex command. Page four of this thread has the specifics... 

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Musician/Firmware-1-05-Pitch-Bend-range-removed/td-p/215936

I'm not sure if this online (Chrome) editor will work or not, but FYI...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/04/18/free-behringer-model-d-settings-editor/

Page 30 of the manual...  

https://media63.musictribe.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0CQJ/MODEL D_M_EN.pdf

1 minute ago, Vito Corleone said:

At that price I may have to pick one up just for the hell of it.   But I have hard time finding much usefulness of it being a rackmount module.    Part of the whole deal of a Mini Moog was having the controls right above the keyboard and making adjustments on the fly.   I suppose I can put it in a rack and somehow try to position it above a controller or another keyboard?

Not very practical for live gigs though.

You could always have a custom case built for it... or just buy this one...

be7ma3iezikeai8kxc5k.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/20237064-custom-25-note-keybed-enclosure-for-behringer-model-d-2019-black-stain

3 minutes ago, erok123 said:

I understand they did an Odyssey as well. That's great!

Yeah, they did an SH-101 (MS-101), an Odyssey, and a version of the Korg MS-20 called the K-2, and a TR-808 clone (RD-8) too. They also allegedly have a Pro One clone in module form and a OB-x keyboard and module on the way too... they're really going all-in on the vintage keyboard and synth clones. 

Archived