Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Phil O'Keefe

I made it mine for $199 with Amazon Prime...

Recommended Posts

I broke down and bought a Behringer Model D. Once I saw that the price had dropped on them by about 1/3rd, and that they were in the guitar pedal price region, I figured I’d later kick myself if I didn’t. It should be here by Wednesday, and I’ll report back after it arrives.

Anyone else got one?

They’re going at this vintage synth thing pretty heavily. I just saw their SH-101 clone is about to ship, as is their MS-20 clone, and the Obie clone is supposedly nearing completion too. I’ve also heard rumors about a possible Prophet 600 clone... but the one I’m currently awaiting is the Pro One clone, which hopefully will be released this spring. I’ll be an early adopter on that one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah... but I used reverb.com for the first time this weekend. Got a Supa-Trem 2 on the way for just $160 after tax and shipping. It’s got a “warble” mode!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, arcadesonfire said:

Nah... but I used reverb.com for the first time this weekend. Got a Supa-Trem 2 on the way for just $160 after tax and shipping. It’s got a “warble” mode!!

Very nice! :cool2: That’s a good pedal!

I also have an Arturia SparkLE drum controller incoming. GC had a used one for cheap that I couldn’t pass up. I really like their iSpark iOS drum machine, and this is a hardware controller that’s compatible with it. It should arrive tomorrow. Then it is just a question of how to get MIDI clock and the controller plugged into the iPad at the same time. I THINK I’ll be able to do it with a camera connection kit and a powered USB hub...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I broke down and bought a Behringer Model D. Once I saw that the price had dropped on them by about 1/3rd, and that they were in the guitar pedal price region, I figured I’d later kick myself if I didn’t. It should be here by Wednesday, and I’ll report back after it arrives.

Anyone else got one?

They’re going at this vintage synth thing pretty heavily. I just saw their SH-101 clone is about to ship, as is their MS-20 clone, and the Obie clone is supposedly nearing completion too. I’ve also heard rumors about a possible Prophet 600 clone... but the one I’m currently awaiting is the Pro One clone, which hopefully will be released this spring. I’ll be an early adopter on that one. 

That thing looks seriously awesome! It was completely off my radar. Thanks for the heads up. And yeah. Assuming it works, that's a steal!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I broke down and bought a Behringer Model D. Once I saw that the price had dropped on them by about 1/3rd, and that they were in the guitar pedal price region, I figured I’d later kick myself if I didn’t. It should be here by Wednesday, and I’ll report back after it arrives.

Anyone else got one?

They’re going at this vintage synth thing pretty heavily. I just saw their SH-101 clone is about to ship, as is their MS-20 clone, and the Obie clone is supposedly nearing completion too. I’ve also heard rumors about a possible Prophet 600 clone... but the one I’m currently awaiting is the Pro One clone, which hopefully will be released this spring. I’ll be an early adopter on that one. 

Don't have one yet, but I NEED one - those Jan Hammer/George Duke Minimoog leads ain't gonna play themselves! :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Easy Listener said:

That thing looks seriously awesome! It was completely off my radar. Thanks for the heads up. And yeah. Assuming it works, that's a steal!

The reviews are generally positive and they’ve apparently sold boatloads of them, so I suspect it will work fine, but we shall see...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

The reviews are generally positive and they’ve apparently sold boatloads of them, so I suspect it will work fine, but we shall see...

 

I've already watched a couple of review/use videos. I think I need to pick one up. I also have a kurzweil k2000 I might want to attach to get the two wheels working with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

The reviews are generally positive and they’ve apparently sold boatloads of them, so I suspect it will work fine, but we shall see...

 

Look Ma! I'm Rick Wakeman! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Easy Listener said:

Look Ma! I'm Rick Wakeman! :D

You're showing your age.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazyfoo said:

I get wait for the OB-Xa clone to ship!

always regret selling mine 

I've always loved the sound of that board, but could never afford one when they were new. Well, I could... but I always had other priorities. Might be tempted to get one myself, depending on what the price looks like. Have you heard any rumors about that? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flemtone said:

I stay far far away from Behringer.  Too much IP theft in their early days for my taste.

 

I have bought about three or four pieces from them in the past... most of which didn't last long, and only one of which (a patch bay) I still own and use. Reliability was the biggest issue I had with their stuff, but I've heard many reports that they've made significant improvements in that regard. 

I was at the NAMM show (2005?) when they first showed the apparently dead-on copies (body shape, switch design and all) of multiple Boss pedals, as well as some of the EHX pedals... and was the guy who broke the news about them to Mike Matthews... he actually took it much better than I expected he would... 

I know about their reputation (especially with earlier products) for somewhat iffy reliability, the FCC issues they had, the IP cases with Mackie, Aphex, BBE, et al, as well as the more recent attempt to sue various forum members over comments made online... all of which do concern me. As the later case shows, the Model D and the various other synths they're building are not without their share of controversy. But then again, once any patents have expired, they're as free to make reimagined versions of those things as any other company is (as long as they don't infringe on any trademarks) - they're far from being the only company making things based on vintage designs in the recording and MI industries, and people generally don't give other companies a hard time when they release a 1176-based compressor, a 1073 clone, a API-type preamp.... or a roughly Strat-shaped or Les Paul shaped guitar... 

I certainly do understand where you're coming from, and it's a matter that many people continue to debate, even today. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I regretted not getting their EHX Deluxe Memory Man clone to replace my vintage broken original, they went for $50 new and now I can't even find them second-hand. I'm going to slap myself if I let that happen with the Model D.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Notu said:

I regretted not getting their EHX Deluxe Memory Man clone to replace my vintage broken original, they went for $50 new and now I can't even find them second-hand. I'm going to slap myself if I let that happen with the Model D.

They were already inexpensive at $300, but when I saw the prices dropping to ~$200, I started to wonder if they might be thinking about discontinuing them, or not doing another production run. I don't know if that's actually the case or not, but I didn't want to find out that they did discontinue them and be too late to the party, so I figured I'd better grab one while I still can. 

I honestly don't see how they could be discounted any further than they currently are, so if you want one, you might want to move fairly fast and not wait. Again, I have no inside knowledge about whether or not they're going to stop building them soon, but deep discounts are often a good sign that product production is nearing its end. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

They were already inexpensive at $300, but when I saw the prices dropping to ~$200, I started to wonder if they might be thinking about discontinuing them, or not doing another production run. I don't know if that's actually the case or not, but I didn't want to find out that they did discontinue them and be too late to the party, so I figured I'd better grab one while I still can. 

I honestly don't see how they could be discounted any further than they currently are, so if you want one, you might want to move fairly fast and not wait. Again, I have no inside knowledge about whether or not they're going to stop building them soon, but deep discounts are often a good sign that product production is nearing its end. 

 

I have a birthday coming up - as you well know, having the same birthday :D

Perfect excuse to treat myself!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

I have a birthday coming up - as you well know, having the same birthday :D

Perfect excuse to treat myself!

That was my logic too... :lol:

As my mom (who also shares the same birthday) and I often sing to each other... 

Happy birthday to us... happy birthday to us! :lol: 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa! Going to the DARKSIDE! I got a Dr. J Sparrow(Sans Amp bass clone) in the mail today and it sounds GREAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one but sold it.

I have a sub 37 with the wood sides, and I just love that thing.

The Boog sounds basically identical as a Model D, but the Sub37 just sparks me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Red Ant said:

I have a birthday coming up - as you well know, having the same birthday :D

Perfect excuse to treat myself!

You might also want to get a SEM Module, hard sync the oscillators, and modulate one of them, + a drizzling of FX. But yeah, The bang for buck is undeniable.

Edited by jorhay1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jorhay1 said:

I had one but sold it.

I have a sub 37 with the wood sides, and I just love that thing.

The Boog sounds basically identical as a Model D, but the Sub37 just sparks me.

I like the Sub37 as well, but a) I dont already have one and b) this is primarily for live gigs, and the Boog is way more portable, besides being ridiculously cheap. 

I plan on triggering it with my VR-09, putting the two on separate midi channels and setting it up so that I can effortlessly switch between the two with one soft button on the VR. Just need to add a little shelf to my keyboard stand. And I'm good to go!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jorhay1 said:

You might also want to get a SEM Module, hard sync the oscillators, and modulate one of them, + a drizzling of FX. But yeah, The bang for buck is undeniable.

My first decent synth was a Sequential Pro 1, so I’m looking forward to playing around with layering & patching between the Boog and the Behringer Pro One when it comes out. In the meantime, I have a few various other poly and monosynths I can keep it company with. TBH I’m not much of a fan of Moog type envelopes, but that filter... :love: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Ant said:

I like the Sub37 as well, but a) I dont already have one and b) this is primarily for live gigs, and the Boog is way more portable, besides being ridiculously cheap. 

I plan on triggering it with my VR-09, putting the two on separate midi channels and setting it up so that I can effortlessly switch between the two with one soft button on the VR. Just need to add a little shelf to my keyboard stand. And I'm good to go!

 

Oh for sure.

And sorry, I meant to respond to this, as I was referring to the Jan Hammer/George Duke sound. My bad.

Quote

Don't have one yet, but I NEED one - those Jan Hammer/George Duke Minimoog leads ain't gonna play themselves! :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...