What is the correct mechanism of a 2 point vintage tremolo

leonardygunawan.lg

• Members

When you setup a 2 point vintage trem to float, what is the correct mechanism especially the contact between the claw and the springs when you do PULL UP?

When pulling up on the bar, tension on the springs are released.

My trem seems to loose too much tension when i do pull up because the springs goes zero tension that the claw hang loose. Sometimes the hook of the springs moves too causing the springs to fall off.

So my point is:

How does the correct mechanism work?

Is it okay that when i do pullups the tension reduced so much that there is movement in the claw or

The springs are supposed to have still just a little bit of tension to keep the claw tight so when pulling up the movement only happens in the springs?

I kept searching for this information everywhere but i found nothing.

Youtube videos never show the mechanism inside when using tremolo.

• Members

How many springs do you have on there at the moment and what string guages and tuning are you using? 

I usually use 3 or 4 springs depending on the springs stiffness with 10's strung standard.  When I pull the bridge up to the body the open g string rings as an A. There is still plenty of tension on the springs to hold them stable.  How much do you float the trem? 

It sounds like maybe your springs are too stiff for your setup so there is no spring travel left when you pull the float out.  Try taking one off and screw your claw in more to compensate.  You may want to look at the amount of float and decide if thats really what you want first.  I like a full step on the g string.

• Members
29 minutes ago, mrbrown49 said:

How many springs do you have on there at the moment and what string guages and tuning are you using? 

I usually use 3 or 4 springs depending on the springs stiffness with 10's strung standard.  When I pull the bridge up to the body the open g string rings as an A. There is still plenty of tension on the springs to hold them stable.  How much do you float the trem? 

It sounds like maybe your springs are too stiff for your setup so there is no spring travel left when you pull the float out.  Try taking one off and screw your claw in more to compensate.  You may want to look at the amount of float and decide if thats really what you want first.  I like a full step on the g string.

I float it a little bit more than you do.

G string goes A sharp, but that's not over float i'm sure because i see many videos doing so.

It's still the standard floating trem interval high E goes half step, B goes full step, G goes one and a half step and so on.

I use 3 springs, if i were to use less spring, it won't be stable enough for bending because when i bend a note, the trem lifted up due to the lack of tension.

• Members

I agree that's a reasonable amount of float. I think your only other recourse is to replace yours with a softer spring so there is still some travel when you pull all the way up on the arm.

Fwiw the allparts springs I have seem quite a bit stiffer than my stock fender springs.  Not sure it's enough to matter in your case though.  

I get around the bending issue by holding the bar steady with my picking hand, or slightly bending the other strings (or just fretting harder) to compensate. Takes some finesse and practice but i don't really have to think about it anymore, it just happens.

• Members
15 minutes ago, mrbrown49 said:

I agree that's a reasonable amount of float. I think your only other recourse is to replace yours with a softer spring so there is still some travel when you pull all the way up on the arm.

Fwiw the allparts springs I have seem quite a bit stiffer than my stock fender springs.  Not sure it's enough to matter in your case though.  

I get around the bending issue by holding the bar steady with my picking hand, or slightly bending the other strings (or just fretting harder) to compensate. Takes some finesse and practice but i don't really have to think about it anymore, it just happens.

idk the springs in my wilkinson trem is pretty soft i can stretch it by hand.

Even if i have to try another spring i don't know what spring to get

Trem spring doesn't have size or tension chart 

• Members
8 hours ago, mrbrown49 said:

Yeah you may be stuck. It's a simple system. Not a lot of 'knobs to turn'.

What string gauge do you use?

I use 9. Standard gauge for guitars with trem system.

I used to use 10. Not good for bending as it has too much tension on the springs. The trem lifted up.

With 9 i'm ok doing bends.

Archived