$57 dollar guitar?

erok123

• Members
4 hours ago, erok123 said:

Not always, but my wife ordered her granddaughter a Rogue guitar against my wishes. It was bad. We sent it back.

There's junk guitars and then there Rogue. You get what you pay for in this case.

252 Reviews, 157 peeps gave it 5 stars. 57 gave it 4 stars. That  probably 200 people that ain't playing the guitar in the near future.

• Members

Hmmm I wanted to say "better than nothing" but on second thought a really crap guitar could put you off guitar for life. Along lines of puking from too much Tequila....

That said had third thought, along lines of British bake off or some BS reality show...

Get 4 or 5 top rated luthiers, give them each one of these jewels, and vids of each of them doing a set up as best they could.

See if any of them can turn lead into gold, or at least fools gold

• Members

“Actually a $90 guitar on sale for $57. If it's structurally sound and properly set up it might be a decent beater. I learned on a $50 Ensenada most of you would laugh at:

Ensenada.jpg.e247be5cc39187a749bbd77281b9d8e6.jpg

Quote from Deepend.

I would bet many of us here learned our first chords, found our first rhythm, played our first real song, on a guitar that years later we cringe thinking about.

Mine was a Sears archtop with a cracked neck propped with a curtain hook, first chord was “C”(pretty sure), first song “”HOTRS”.  

But we get by.  I woulda sacrificed a chicken to Ozzy for that particular guitar.

• Members
17 hours ago, Glenn F said:

Yeah, my first guitar was an Aria 12 string I bought off my brother for $50CAD when I was 14. It was never strung as a 12er, yet the neck had buckled by the time I was 18. Then again, $50 bucks in 1974 is a lot more than $50 these days. 

$50 in 1974 would have been about $255 in 2018: http://www.in2013dollars.com/1974-dollars-in-2018?amount=50. My Ensenada that cost $50 in 1971 would have cost $310 in 2018. I don't recall it being a great guitar so perhaps quality of cheap instruments has improved over the years. Based on inflation alone, a $90 guitar like the one in the OP would have cost around $14 in 1971, really cheap stuff.

• Members

Well, it lasted me 4 years, almost exactly, though I don't how long brother owned it. I don't remember there being anything wrong with it, per se, in terms of playability. I was pretty damned determined to learn, though, and by the time I gave it to someone when I was 18, I was capable of not making a complete fool of myself on the guitar. I don't know how I would've progressed had the guitar been utterly unplayable, though. These days, you can get a decent guitar in the 300-350 range, and if set up properly, will carry a determined beginner a long way.

• Members

Interesting conversation.

My first guitar was a brand new Sears Silvertone for Christmas. Within six months of owning it, its action grew to over a half inch. It was years before I got a real guitar. True story.  I should have been so lucky as to have the likes of a Rogue.

Damn, I could have been as good as Tony Rice if it wasn't for that.

Archived