Sitting on the Sidelines..........

Outkaster

• Members

How you do guys take/deal with being overlooked or not doing events that normally would be no brainers.  Last year we did a benefit for a Children’s Hospital across the street from the research building I work in. We are all part of the same company and hospital system and everything.    It went well and the promoter said we would be back this summer, well we didn’t get asked.  I have mutual friends with the promoter.  I did go this year and ran into him with our group of friends and he acted really awkward when he saw me.  I blew it off.   Normally I don’t care but the band liked the gig last year and felt it was good for exposure in a conservative suburb where our music doesn’t necessarily “fit”.

As I hung out throughout the day it struck me that in fact we would have done well and been a good fit for this festival. I wasn’t so sure last year.  It’s two days and a lot of bands are there. Most don’t entertain that well but some are really good. You play for free but the stages are massive and you can eat and drink for free. I did feel we were sidelined a little but I understand giving other people a chance.   How do you guys navigate this type of feeling?  It gets political and most bands around here are clickish.  A lot don’t play nice in the sandbox.  I had to tell some of my members there isn’t some band utopia where everyone gets along when I first announced we didn’t get asked to them at practice.   I really don’t want to have a case of “sour grapes” but it’s hard not to feel sidelined.

• Members

I can't count the number of times we were told "You guys are great! We can't wait to have you back." Sometimes we never come back, sometimes in a couple of years, some times we find the same person working elsewhere and asking for us.

It's just part of the gig. If I go and see another band I'll go up to the person who ignored us this time around with a big smile on my face, extend my hand and say something like "Hi! How are you doing?" and never let him/her know I feel slighted, and I might even ask how the festival is going this year or whatever.

I don't take the slights personally anymore. Some people just feel that variety is important and that people want something different next time. Sometimes a committee makes the decisions. Sometimes favors are needed to be handed out.

On the other hand, we have people who have hired us every year for over 25 years now.

You just have to do your best at every gig you get, and keep in contact with the promoter, but not too often (which is a hard thing to judge).

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

It is hard think to judge but I came off nice to him. I guess I get to the point where I don't believe anything people are saying till we are actually booked. I really believe some people have a certain anxiety around bands that they may have promised things to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Never believe anything until you are actually booked and the contracts come back!        I think I learned that when I was 16!  :lol:

People also get tired of bands too sometimes.   There are events we will do 2-3 years in a row and they go great and everyone loves us and then they don't ask us back anymore.  I get it.   People get tired of having the same band year after year.  They want something different.   Nothing wrong with that.  Just part of the business.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 9/13/2019 at 10:11 PM, Vito Corleone said:

Never believe anything until you are actually booked and the contracts come back!        I think I learned that when I was 16!  :lol:

People also get tired of bands too sometimes.   There are events we will do 2-3 years in a row and they go great and everyone loves us and then they don't ask us back anymore.  I get it.   People get tired of having the same band year after year.  They want something different.   Nothing wrong with that.  Just part of the business.  

As Vito said, sometimes the old entertainment purchasers just want variety.

Sometimes a new committee member, or new F&B manager or new somebody else arrives and they have their favorite band so it's out with the old and in with the new.

We played at a yacht club once a week for over 20 years. The people loved us, and we were like family after all those years. A new General Manager comes in, and never hires us. We see our old friends who say they miss us, and indicate that they ask for us, but we've never gone back. OK, it's a little disappointing, but I prefer to think of it as a really, really good run.

On the other hand, we just got invited back for our 12 season at another marina. Lose one, gain another.

As long as I'm gigging, I'm happy, and we've had this duo since 1985 and have never gone hungry.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived