Any tips on mixing live jazz/latin music?

• Members

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm mixing one of the ensembles at my university. They are a jazz/world music ensemble.

Line-up:

Drums, Bass, Guitar, keys, sax, and aux percussion.

Any tips, techniques, or advice anyone could give in this realm would be much appreciated.

• Members

you'll probably do fine because you're worried about how to do it :)

one thing to do is to go listen to their music. myspace, CDs, etc..

you'll also know as soon as they start playing, you can scope out the kind of grooves, whether it's big backbeat stuff or focus is elsewhere. figure out who is melody and treat that like a lead vocal..

• Members

Make sure the aux percussion ends up in the mix. Many people consider those instruments as an accompaniment and not a lead. In Latin and some jazz, those instruments are critical. Bass and drums should set up the foundation for all other instruments to walk on. Jazz is different then rock so the feel and groove should be more up front then in other genres.

• Members

As opposed to rock bands, you wouldn't want lead kick. Seriously, the biggest difference I see in mixing jazz.... re: rock... is that you want to hear all the instruments. That means the real estate that the rock kick (and/or snare, bass guitar...) takes up won't allow for other subtleties. so like the wedding coordinator says "your instruments look loud, can you turn them down".

• Members

Some latin bands don't use a traditional trap kit (ie no kick drum) The only low end you'll get is from bass guitar and some piano. If it's more contemporary latin though it could be quite heavy on kick and bass, you'll have to feel it out with the band when they get there.

Bring a few condenser mics for percussion, 4 or 5. Be prepared to mic congas, timbales, perc overheads etc. Some guys are great about helping where/how to mic some aren't. Ask about vocal effects too, they have a pretty good idea what works.

• Members

Listen to them unamplified to see how they naturally place themselves in the mix too.

That's actually a really interesting idea.

The unfortunate thing about our situation with mixing is that I'm very limited. I only have access to some 57's and 58's. Most of the time I don't think the kit is mic-ed up b/c of what I have at my disposal.

Thanks for all the tips, any more would only make me happier!

• Members

That's why you need to listen, some elements may not need mics, especially timbale and horns

When it comes to volume, timbales are like banjos.

They really cut through most of the time. There's a banjo joke in there somewhere.....

• Members

I had to mic a banjo for a gig, and it was really interesting. I was thrown into it and expected to produce beautiful results. The worst part: it was my first live sound gig. 4 bands, setting up, mixing, tearing down. Bit of a nightmare.

• Members

I had to mic a banjo for a gig, and it was really interesting. I was thrown into it and expected to produce beautiful results. The worst part: it was my first live sound gig. 4 bands, setting up, mixing, tearing down. Bit of a nightmare.

I have two rules for when I have to mic something I've never mic'ed before:

1) If it has strings, throw an 81 on it.

2) If it is anything else, or I don't have an 81, throw a 57 on it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The band is playing again on Monday. I have set up a gear list, but there's a couple things I'm still unclear about. I really limited to mostly just 57s and 58s. Might have a drum mic kit, but it might not be needed.

The biggest concern I'm having is the the aux percussion. I was thinking a 57 over his toys and a 57 on both congas.

Also, the keyboard player wants a stereo DI. Once again, live sound is pretty new to me, but would you really need one or is he being a bit picky. The reason I say this is because I'm not sure if I've seen a stereo DI.

• Members

Definitely agree with a lot that has been said already.

Go easy on the kick (both in mixing and the eq, shouldn't be as low a fundamental as normal)

Percussion is very important in the latin music. Don't thin out the bongos/congas too much. There's a lot of meat at like 200-250hz, you don't want to cut it all out

• Members

Also, the keyboard player wants a stereo DI. Once again, live sound is pretty new to me, but would you really need one or is he being a bit picky. The reason I say this is because I'm not sure if I've seen a stereo DI.

I've got a stereo or dual DI made by ART - so far so good http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=89&cat=15&id=60 I would imagine that Audiopile has something similar, or at least has good affordable single DI's.

IF you don't have any DI's at present then I might suggest getting two instead of one dual DI. More flexibility - or at least easier routing. If you have two separate sources like a mono keyboard and a bass guitar on opposite sides of the stage a dual DI can be inconvenient. Depends on your needs.

Archived