KSM137 vs SM137 vs Pro 37

• Members

I appreciated the feedback on my post last month regarding hanging vs. boundary mics. I've decided to go ahead and get some SDCs for at least the choir. (This is for SR, not recording.) Among others I'm considering the above. The SM (I think this used to be a KSM109) is a lot cheaper than the KSM, but the response isn't as flat. I couldn't find a lot of info on it. The Audio Technica Pro 37 seems to get pretty good reviews and is dirt cheap. Generally I would go for something a little higher end but it doesn't need to be great. So I'm wondering how different these mics are for my purpose.

Thanks.

• Members

Really, try renting first.

Good suggestion if possible.

Years ago I was looking for some SDC's and rented both a pair of Rode NT5's and later the stereo Rode NT4 (I believe) as well as some cheapo Apex mics that were all the rage (momentarily). Even though the Rodes are nice mics and fairly well regarded for their price point, I wasn't too into them, and the Apex mics were not very pleasing - but mics are kinda personal.

Anyway I settled on a pair on AT4041's and am glad I didn't just purchase the Rodes.....outright. But YMMV if you can't rent.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived