Sign in to follow this  
Grant Harding

Time to tweak the scumbag spambot filter

hey, man, nuffinz pirfict, dude...:cool11::cool05:baby-dance

From the Mods' standpoint, this is a vast improvement...I just miss being able to ban them with a pithy comment attached...but, oh well...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being in Thailand and about 14 hrs ahead of west coast USA, I often wondered if I was first to see posts about those medical miracles (my afternoon middle of your night), and dutifully flag them. Good to see I'm not alone

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Glenn F said:

Seems the spambots don't work on weekends.

I’ve noticed that too... Saturdays are less busy than weekdays, and Sunday is the least busy spam day of all. Maybe the bots get the day off? 

6 minutes ago, kwakatak said:

I'm bumping this because there's an overabundance of these SPAM threads here again.

There is almost every morning. Moving the Acoustic Gtr forum higher on the list made it a target, just as other forums used to be when they were one of the top three or four on the list.

I’m here every morning at around 4 am my time to delete it. Short of more moderators, or staying up all night, that’s about the best I can do... :o 

Doesn't the bbs have captcha or other bot filters? Given the level of traffic here these days, it might be better to approve new members personally. Honestly, I know you're doing the best you can, but seeing all the spam at the top every morning is a turnoff.

Actually Glenn, you literally don’t see half of it, because whenever a spammer uses words that are on a trigger list, it automatically hides the post from public view, and requires mod approval. 

Unfortunately, we can’t put everything on that list without causing issues and delays for legit users, but obvious, common spam subjects are on it, and yes, we do use captchas and other verification tools... but spammers have ways to get around those sometimes too. Measure, countermeasure... same as it has always been, and I’ve been fighting spammers for decades now. There is literally no way to stop them for long. So I get my butt up at four so that at least it will be gone for the east coast folks by 7. If I could stay awake all night, I would... but then we’d have the daytime spam, which while not as heavy, is fairly constant and has to be deleted too...

47 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

There is almost every morning. Moving the Acoustic Gtr forum higher on the list made it a target, just as other forums used to be when they were one of the top three or four on the list.

I’m here every morning at around 4 am my time to delete it. Short of more moderators, or staying up all night, that’s about the best I can do... :o 

I'm not complaining. I know that readership is down and that this stuff is a sign of the times. I know how you feel; I have to pick up after the people I love so I can imagine how frustrating it is to have complete strangers come in and mess up the place.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.. actually, membership seems to be trending up again, which we’d like to encourage, while trying to keep the spammers at bay. It is a balancing act, but I’ll see if maybe there are more words that we can add and maybe prevent a bit more from being visible. Gotta be careful though, because we don’t want to add words to the filter that some of you might use in the course of posting... 

It's just a constantly evolving threat. Like everything in humanity, 95% of us have to go through a whole bunch of crap just because 5% are below the decent human being minimum threshold. 

• Like 1