anyone here have firsthand experience with the Peavey XR1212/XR1220 powered mixers?

• Members

Well, you? Almost pulled the trigger on these the other day!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wharfedale-Pro-Titan-12-Active-Loudspeaker-pair-/190455951433

I'm hoping that some day, someone other than me will own a pair. :)

They really seem like they would be great for live music. The clarity in the mid frequencies is really what makes them stand out from all of my other speakers. Their size and weight is great too - and their mixer section. The only weak points I can see is the very thin plastic box itself, the fact that they can become harsh in small places and/or at high levels and they're apparently not everyone's cup of tea looks wise. :lol: My dealer's now got them at 479$ a piece (down from 640$ last year).

Al

• Members

My Brothers,

I bought a Peavey XR 1212 earlier this year and am pleased with its performance so far. On the main amp, we run JBL MRX515 mains and run a signal to a powered JBL sub. The monitor amp pushes two Peavey PR-12's.

Now with that said, it's a great powered mixer for certain applications in small to mid size clubs and we don't play stupid loud. We tried it on an outside gig, and we ended up running it almost flat out. We won't try that again.

So, for the right situation it's a great and reliable rig. When we need a larger system, we use a local sound contractor with bigger equipment.

• Members
My Brothers,

I bought a Peavey XR 1212 earlier this year and am pleased with its performance so far. On the main amp, we run JBL MRX515 mains and run a signal to a powered JBL sub. The monitor amp pushes two Peavey PR-12's.

Now with that said, it's a great powered mixer for certain applications in small to mid size clubs and we don't play stupid loud. We tried it on an outside gig, and we ended up running it almost flat out. We won't try that again.

So, for the right situation it's a great and reliable rig. When we need a larger system, we use a local sound contractor with bigger equipment.

yep, wouldn't dream of using it for an outdoor thing unless it was just a little beer garden type of thing. I have about 9k of wattage and coverage for that.

• Members

Well, if I read that right, he was trying to run mains and monitors, outside...That's a pretty tall order for a single IPR1600. Now, he could add an IPR1600 to run monitors, or mains. If he used the external amp for mains, he could use the internal feedback killers and EQ on the monitors.

• Members

My Brothers,

We had the faders set at infinity with the channel gains almost wide open. Exactly what Aged said, "no head room at all." I don't like to push any electronic equipment to it's max at all.

Sound man had a good idea by adding an IPR 1600 to handle monitor duty. We were thinking of adding two JBL PRX 615 powered speakers to get more coverage. The XR1212 has left and right signal outs so adding more horsepower isn't that difficult.

• Members

Well, if I read that right, he was trying to run mains and monitors, outside...That's a pretty tall order for a single IPR1600. Now, he could add an IPR1600 to run monitors, or mains. If he used the external amp for mains, he could use the internal feedback killers and EQ on the monitors.

is that what the internal amp is essentially? (IPR1600)

• Members
We had the faders set at infinity with the channel gains almost wide open. Exactly what Aged said, "no head room at all." I don't like to push any electronic equipment to it's max at all.

It doesn't matter where the gains were, what matters is were you flickering the red "clip" lights or not?

• Members

can it handle 2 ohms/channel in the mixer? I don't see any 2 ohm specs anywhere.

Well, technically it could handle it, but I don't recommend it. The 2 ohm capability was developed after this mixer was done. There are a couple of differences, the cooling in a mixer is much more difficult than an open, rack mount box. In the mixer, the top/circuit board is lying right on top of the fan, restricting the airflow. I jumped through some hoops to get it as good as it is. The current limiting is also set for 4 ohms, along with the primary circuit breaker. You'd probably trip it in the middle of the gig, or sooner.

I guess I should revise my answer, to no. It would make sound, but not at a level you could appreciate.

• Members
Well, technically it could handle it, but I don't recommend it. The 2 ohm capability was developed after this mixer was done. There are a couple of differences, the cooling in a mixer is much more difficult than an open, rack mount box. In the mixer, the top/circuit board is lying right on top of the fan, restricting the airflow. I jumped through some hoops to get it as good as it is. The current limiting is also set for 4 ohms, along with the primary circuit breaker. You'd probably trip it in the middle of the gig, or sooner.

I guess I should revise my answer, to no. It would make sound, but not at a level you could appreciate.

gotcha. I was guessing that venting/heat issues could be a major difference. Still, that's a sweet amp section to put in a mixer of this size!

• 8 years later...

Archived