ENGL Blackmore extreme squeal

saunaboy1975

• Members

Hi Everyone,

Bought a second hand ENGL Blackmore. ESP guitar with EMGs & an ISP Decimator. Played it three time with band rehearsing & I'm seeing the following get worse (was ok first time)...

1. Real loss of gain - it's a higg gain amp with active pickups & I'm needing to crank gain to 10 to get even a classic rock sound.
2. Screech/squeal - any sort of volume from guitar on high gain & I get this ear piercing screech. Basically unplayable. Not feedback - I can get 'real' feedback but going close to amp & then if I increase gain or volume the screech kicks on over the feedback.
3. Intermittent sort of interference on the tone.

Squeal only happens on high gain channel - also tried two guitars & same issue. Other guitar had passives.

Bought on Ebay & no return possible, so obviously need to get this fixed. Is it the tubes? Seller said it was a about 5 yr old (mint condition) but hardly played for about 2-3 yrs.

Cheers all

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

it sounds to me like a tube issue - tubes can become microphonic and, in cases of extreme gain, sometime cause acoustic feedback within the amp itself

your best bet would be to replace all of the tubes and, if that doesn't solve the problem, take it to an experienced tube amp repair person

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 9/7/2019 at 1:22 AM, onelife said:

it sounds to me like a tube issue - tubes can become microphonic and, in cases of extreme gain, sometime cause acoustic feedback within the amp itself

your best bet would be to replace all of the tubes and, if that doesn't solve the problem, take it to an experienced tube amp repair person

Yes, it's a tube gone bad.

If he has a extra one, he could do one at a time to see which one it is.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Bad pre-amp tube. Could be the V1 position as this usually is first in line, drives your high gain channel and is often first to go. Chances are you purchased a second hand amp that hadn’t had a tube change in recently. Might be worth taking to a tech, may be worth fully re-tubing. The amp will likely sound amazing after this (i re tubed my ENGL every 2-3 years, or so when under weekly use). 

im not an expert but have had a similar experience. If this is the case it’s as easy as swapping the offending tube If you want to simply get it working again. Pre amp tubes don’t need biasing so it’s as easy as changing a light bulb. 

good luck. 

Archived