Has anyone used the Kemper Stage Profiler yet?

SteinbergerHack

• Members

It's been out for a couple of months now, so has anyone tried it in the real world yet?  It looks like it really be a great solution for low-key gigging - and nicely lightweight.

It seems that over the past few years my trusty Bogner XTC just keeps getting heavier and heavier....must be some sort of relativistic physics going on, there....:freak:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
13 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I use a Kemper powered head and love it. My Bogner Shiva got pushed out the door. Amazing being able to go from Bogner to Vox to Dumble to Fender...

Really?  That's saying something.  I've had a hard time believing that anything could sound as good as the XTC....but the older I get, the heavier it is to carry.....

• Members

The deciding point for me was when I was jamming away, thinking I was playing through the Shiva, but it was the Kemper with a profile of the amp, powering the actual open-back speakers in the amp. It sounds and feels exactly like it.

Then add all the effects I want, with incredible quality and a floorboard + expression pedal(s), etc..

Some people complain about the lack of the "amp in the room sound" from the Kemper, but that's not true at all. 

The Kemper powered head delivers primarily 2 different types of output (plus lots more options):

- One is a stereo pair that sounds like the amp + stomp boxes + speakers with a mic on it and stereo post effects. The sound of the original speaker is baked into this output, which is really significant. Exactly what you want to send to a PA or full range powered speaker. This is supposed to sound like a guitar on a record or in a stadium, not an amp in a room. 

- The other ignores the speaker cab/mic bit and runs through the internal 600w amp. This is designed to drive guitar speaker cabs onstage or if you want a grab and go for a jam or small gig. Sounds just like an amp in a room. It's going to sound best with an amp profile that matches the actual cab (eg: Fender Champ profile into a 4x12 with Celestion Greenbacks isn't going to sound very traditional),

No I don't work for them. 😄🎵🎶

• Members
10 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

The deciding point for me was when I was jamming away, thinking I was playing through the Shiva, but it was the Kemper with a profile of the amp, powering the actual open-back speakers in the amp. It sounds and feels exactly like it.

Then add all the effects I want, with incredible quality and a floorboard + expression pedal(s), etc..

Some people complain about the lack of the "amp in the room sound" from the Kemper, but that's not true at all. 

The Kemper powered head delivers primarily 2 different types of output (plus lots more options):

- One is a stereo pair that sounds like the amp + stomp boxes + speakers with a mic on it and stereo post effects. The sound of the original speaker is baked into this output, which is really significant. Exactly what you want to send to a PA or full range powered speaker. This is supposed to sound like a guitar on a record or in a stadium, not an amp in a room. 

- The other ignores the speaker cab/mic bit and runs through the internal 600w amp. This is designed to drive guitar speaker cabs onstage or if you want a grab and go for a jam or small gig. Sounds just like an amp in a room. It's going to sound best with an amp profile that matches the actual cab (eg: Fender Champ profile into a 4x12 with Celestion Greenbacks isn't going to sound very traditional),

No I don't work for them. 😄🎵🎶

My application would be the complete profile of my existing amp, including the cab (or cab sim).  I have exactly zero interest in hauling around my cabinets anymore - I haven't had them with me on a gig in over a year, and I don't have a desire to go backwards.

Currently, I run my XTC into a Torpedo Live loadbox/cab sim, then into my XR12 which feeds both FOH and my personal monitors.  I've built a cab model that duplicates my mic'd 1960A, so I no longer carry anything except the one wedge monitor that I use for all of my instruments (acoustic and electric) and vocals.  My goal is to get rid of the amp head, just to reduce the weight and fragility.

With the Stage version, I assume that I would also be able to leave the Torpedo Live at home, and only use it while actually profiling.

So far, the playing I have done with the KPA leads me to the conclusion that it's very, very good, and much better for my application than any of the modellers.  It is not exactly the same thing as my XTC, but close enough that nobody in the audience will ever hear a difference, and the ease of use and mobility is a bigger benefit than the liability in tone.  It is also less of a difference than if I were to shift to a different amp, which should put it in perspective.

Thanks for the input!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/2/2019 at 12:11 PM, SteinbergerHack said:

Really?  That's saying something.  I've had a hard time believing that anything could sound as good as the XTC....but the older I get, the heavier it is to carry.....

That's what girlfriends are for! :D

Archived