Sign in to follow this  
SteinbergerHack

Capo question

On 8/25/2019 at 9:57 AM, Freeman Keller said:

I even used it on my telecaster clone - is that a heresy having a gibson profile on a fender neck?

IMG_1486-1.jpg

IMG_1488-1.jpg

Not at all IMHO - if you find a neck profile that works for you and that you really like, why change it? 

54 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Those Dunlop "lever action" strap capos used to be my capo of choice too (they beat the heck out of the elastic strap type capos IMHO), but the lever part of the design tends to make the strings pull away towards one side, and they do it a bit unevenly unless you're really careful as you're putting them on - you have to really press down hard and hold them steady while engaging the lever and locking them down. Some modern capo designs seem to be a bit easier to use in that respect, and tend to be less likely to screw up the tuning / intonation. 

I was thrilled when I discovered Shubbs for exactly that reason. I also like the Planet Waves Tri-Action capo with the adjustable spring. Another cool design is the Dunlop Picker's Pal but I haven't tried it on a really fat neck.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

I was thrilled when I discovered Shubbs for exactly that reason. I also like the Planet Waves Tri-Action capo with the adjustable spring. Another cool design is the Dunlop Picker's Pal but I haven't tried it on a really fat neck.

I haven’t tried the Picker’s Pal, but I do really like the other two.

Most of my personal guitars have thinner necks. My snasuage fingers tend not to get along really comfortably with big, fat necks. 

2 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Those Dunlop "lever action" strap capos used to be my capo of choice too (they beat the heck out of the elastic strap type capos IMHO), but the lever part of the design tends to make the strings pull away towards one side, and they do it a bit unevenly unless you're really careful as you're putting them on - you have to really press down hard and hold them steady while engaging the lever and locking them down. Some modern capo designs seem to be a bit easier to use in that respect, and tend to be less likely to screw up the tuning / intonation. 

Very true. It would pull sideways if not held down first against the board with a decent amount of squeeze. But, it was easy compared to starting my car back then. That hand crank could be dangerous and if your timing had slipped even a little you'd be there cranking your arm off. I don't even want to talk about making the butter or stoking the boiler.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Back to the OP - the Shubb S3V solved the problem.  It's more than a bit finicky and really messes with the tuning, but it does in fact work.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, SteinbergerHack said:

Back to the OP - the Shubb S3V solved the problem.  It's more than a bit finicky and really messes with the tuning, but it does in fact work.

You know what really messes with the tuning on a 12-string?

12 STRINGS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RogueGnome said:

You know what really messes with the tuning on a 12-string?

12 STRINGS!

Well, yeah, but beyond that...