Mixwiz - maybe I'm just dumb but...

• Members

On a Mixwiz 16:2DX, How do you hook up the output for a summed mono signal and still be able to use the main fader(s) and not the little round knob WITHOUT having to pan all active channels left or right? I WAS using a Y cable on the two XLR outs into my Rane ME60 channel one input, but after reading a recent thread here, obviously THAT's the wrong way to do it. On the former Soundcraft board I had, there was a summed mono output that I used that utilized the main faders - but I can't find anything in the Mixwiz manual that provides for similar utilization/functionality. Maybe I'm just not seeing it - it was late last night when I looked :freak:

Thanks!

Stix

• Members

Sure, NOW you tell me! I know, I read the other thread with the Rane link. One of those "live and learn" moments. Yes, at my age, we still have them.

Going to have to do some experimenting with the board and a little more reading. Could I/Should I use a stereo to mono summing box? And if so, which one? Or is there a Y cable with the built in components necessary that I can buy? I can't believe I'm the only person that has this dilemma and someone hasn't developed a product for this issue.

Stix

• Members

Use the left or right main outs, no problem with that. As in the other recent thread, if you're dealing with a stereo source, use two inputs and make sure that both channels are either centered or panned to the side you're taking your main signal from.

That's what I do with my break music. On some playback devices you might be able to get a mono signal from the device - saves a channel.

• Members

And that's 1 drawback to the older mixwiz's, no dedicated mono out. When I need mono I'll use a special adaptor I made with the summing resistors, I don't like using 2 stereo returns for an ipod/cd player. And usually when I need to run mono it's on a smaller rig and I'm also playing too, if I can pan CD and stereo sources I can quickly glance over and see what is stereo.

• Members

Running mono into the ME60 cause Channel A is the Mains and Channel B is the Monitors (off Aux 1 of the mixer).

Stix

I see. I thought you were running it something like this:

FOH

Left Mixwiz > ME15 > Driverack PA > 3002 > 4735

Right Mixwiz > ME15 > Driverack PA > 3002 > 4735

Sub Left Driverack PA > 3402 > 4718

Right Driverack PA > 3402 > 4718

MONITOR

Aux 1 > ME60 > Sabine > GX5 > USM

Aux 2 > ME60 > Sabine > GX5 > USM

Not sure where the compressors fit in.

• Members

Nope, here's the signal chain:

Mains/Subs - Mixwiz L main mono out > ME60 Channel A > Sabine Channel A > DRPA Sub out Stereo PLX3002 > 4718; DRPA High out Stereo PLX3402 > 4735.

Presonus sidechained via inserts on Mixwiz, Rane ME15 used as DeEsser sidechained on Presonus channel 1 & 2 (primary vocalists).

Monitors - Mixwiz Aux 1 > ME60 Channel B > Sabine > GX5 (channel A) > USM X 2

Currently we only use one monitor mix but that might change. If it does, I will use the FBX exclusively for monitors and use the FBX built into the DRPA for the Mains.

Currently this config works pretty well but if somebody has a "better" way to do it, I'm all ears (no pun intended).

Stix

Archived