Shure Beta 54 Phantom Power Issue...

• Moderators

I've just upgraded my mixer from a mackie 1402, to an Ashly MX-508, but can't seem to get phantom to work w/this mic.

I've checked:

Mixer - delivering 48V.

Cable(s) - passing 48V.

Different condenser mic - works just fine.

Beta 54 - works fine w/Mackie's phantom and an external 9V supply.

Unfortunately, the drummer didn't bring the external PS to the gig, so he had to use a B58a/boom.

Any ideas what else to look for?

Thanks, in advance,

MG

• Members

I've just upgraded my mixer from a mackie 1402, to an Ashly MX-508, but can't seem to get phantom to work w/this mic.

I've checked:

Mixer - delivering 48V.

Cable(s) - passing 48V.

Different condenser mic - works just fine.

Beta 54 - works fine w/Mackie's phantom and an external 9V supply.

Unfortunately, the drummer didn't bring the external PS to the gig, so he had to use a B58a/boom.

Any ideas what else to look for?

Thanks, in advance,

MG

It may be time to get a new capsule. I have several Beta 53(different pattern). If the capsule gets too much moisture it won't work correctly. You can try replacing the screen element (several replacements should have come w/your mic) covering the capsule and perhaps letting the mic get some air, but assuming your cables are good-- my suspicion would be the mic element itself (especially on a singing drummer :)). Make sure that you always use the windscreen for additional protection in the future.

• Moderators

Something doesn't sound right. The mic worked on the Mackie but not on the Ashly? The MX-508 is a fantastic mixer BTW.

He tried it on his powered mixer today, and it worked fine...

I'll try it again saturday, but I'll make sure he brings his external supply, too.

And yes, I'd been looking for one of those little mixers for a while. One of the small benefits of being in Rochester is that used Ashly stuff is stoopid cheap here - I paid $200 for it.

You can get about anything they make for between $50-150, if you look around for it. It'll sit in the racks at the music stores for weeks at those prices, while the Behringer stuff flies out the door...:confused:

Thanks for the help, tho!

• Members

He tried it on his powered mixer today, and it worked fine...

I'll try it again saturday, but I'll make sure he brings his external supply, too.

And yes, I'd been looking for one of those little mixers for a while. One of the small benefits of being in Rochester is that used Ashly stuff is stoopid cheap here - I paid $200 for it.

You can get about anything they make for between $50-150, if you look around for it. It'll sit in the racks at the music stores for weeks at those prices, while the Behringer stuff flies out the door...
:confused:

Thanks for the help, tho!

If you are getting +48v on pins 2 and 3 referenced to pin 1 from the Ashly, my bet is the capsule was too moist for whatever reason and when you retested on the Mackie, the capsule had had time to dry out. Let me know what you find.

• Moderators

Gave it another shot on Saturday - no joy...

We used his external supply.

His mic works w/two other mixers (Mackie 1402 and whatever he has at home.)

The Ashly is puting out 48V and powers any other condensers I've tried, no problems.

Really baffled by this.

MG

• Members

Gave it another shot on Saturday - no joy...

We used his external supply.

His mic works w/two other mixers (Mackie 1402 and whatever he has at home.)

The Ashly is puting out 48V and powers any other condensers I've tried, no problems.

Really baffled by this.

MG

Wow, that is strange. You are using the exact same cable in both places, right? Pin 1 on the male xlr end = pin 1 on female XLR, right?

Archived