Nathan Davies

Takamine battery stuck in compartment

So I went to my local guitar store and got the battery compartment removed because I couldn’t do it myself. Then when I got home I went to change battery and the battery is literally wedged inside the compartment, therefore I cannot replace the battery! 

Any ideas??

What do you mean by "got the battery compartment removed"? Did you have it replaced? If so, the shop may have installed the wrong battery compartment. If it hasn't been too long and the shop is still around, take it back to them and let them deal with it because it sounds like they messed something up. My guess would be that the wires are wedged between the battery and the side of the compartment, which is keeping the battery in place.

Edited by DeepEnd

Hello and welcome, Nathan.

he battery is probably a 9 volt brick type, yes?. If so they are not all the exact same size so you you need to be careful. The rear of the battery holder should have a push out space - you will need to firmly push from the rear to force out the battery. A short spay of something like WD40 might help the process.

Jesus, Nathan...take it back and let them do the heavy lifting. 

And please respond with something mildly sarcastic so we know you’re not just a bot.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, garthman said:

Hello and welcome, Nathan.

he battery is probably a 9 volt brick type, yes?. If so they are not all the exact same size so you you need to be careful. The rear of the battery holder should have a push out space - you will need to firmly push from the rear to force out the battery. A short spay of something like WD40 might help the process.

So this is a useful comment. It’s a common problem with Takamine and while the original question mentioned a guitar shop thus leaving Nathan with an avenue to go down - take it back - that’s never going to work for Takamine owners who get the same problem and have no shop to go back to. So what he’s asking is “does anyone have any tips or tricks to help remove a stuck battery compartment”. If anyone does, that helps Nathan and anyone else with a similar problem. Stuff about potentially being a bot - why would a bot be used for this? - and go back to the shop is just a waste of space and everyone’s time.

The quoted reply is right. Some 9v batteries are the wrong size. The battery holder sticks a little when putting it back. My advice is, if it does do not force it in as you will have a job to get it out. I know, I have exactly this problem on a G series right now and it was my fault, not the fault of a shop. That’s how I got here. And now I’ve wasted more time typing this up. Think before replying - if you’ve got nothing to say don’t respond with variations on “I don’t know - I’ve never had that problem”. What use is that?

Posted (edited)

So you couldn't get the battery compartment removed yourself, so you took it to the local guitar store. (to remove it for you, I guess)  Sounds like they didn't have any problem removing it.  It also sounds like you paid the guitar store for this service.

So now, once more, you still can't get the battery compartment removed. Maybe you should take it back to your local guitar store... and this time, have them show you how to remove it.

Oh, and G-tak, perhaps you are bit new around here to be critiquing others' responses.

Edited by FretFiend.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, G-tak said:

So this is a useful comment. It’s a common problem with Takamine and while the original question mentioned a guitar shop thus leaving Nathan with an avenue to go down - take it back - that’s never going to work for Takamine owners who get the same problem and have no shop to go back to. So what he’s asking is “does anyone have any tips or tricks to help remove a stuck battery compartment”. If anyone does, that helps Nathan and anyone else with a similar problem. Stuff about potentially being a bot - why would a bot be used for this? - and go back to the shop is just a waste of space and everyone’s time.

The quoted reply is right. Some 9v batteries are the wrong size. The battery holder sticks a little when putting it back. My advice is, if it does do not force it in as you will have a job to get it out. I know, I have exactly this problem on a G series right now and it was my fault, not the fault of a shop. That’s how I got here. And now I’ve wasted more time typing this up. Think before replying - if you’ve got nothing to say don’t respond with variations on “I don’t know - I’ve never had that problem”. What use is that?

Hi, G-tak. Welcome to the Forum. Nathan had the battery compartment removed by a "local guitar store." Therefore he likely had a shop to return to unless they went out of business or he moved in the meantime. And why would they remove the compartment and not replace it? Then he said, "when I got home I went to change battery and the battery is literally wedged inside the compartment, therefore I cannot replace the battery!" That means its the store's fault the battery is stuck. My guess is that the battery was a tad oversize and their tech jammed it in place. So our advice was specific to Nathan's situation. If you want advice for your situation start your own thread and ask your own question. And where would Takamine owners get hold of a guitar without a shop to take it back to? eBay perhaps? If you buy online you had better be prepared to do your own work. I do my own work and I have more sense than to force a battery where it won't go so no, I've never had that experience. As for the specific problem you could drill a hole in the bottom of the battery, put a screw in the hole, grab the screw with pliers, and pull the battery out that way.

As for Neal's bot comment, we get a fair number of one post wonders who start a thread and never return. If you're paying attention you'll notice Nathan's post count is exactly 1 after 4 1/2 months. No further activity even in his own thread. So he took our advice but doesn't care enough to let us know whether it worked, he gave up and got rid of the guitar or decided to live with it as is, or he's potentially a bot. And as FretFiend noted, you're a bit junior to be telling the rest of us how we should give advice. If you have a question ask it. If you have constructive advice give it. If none of the above, we're probably not going to be very interested.

Edited by DeepEnd
  • Like 1