Humidity control?

SteinbergerHack

• Members

After losing a guitar to what was likely a fight with a very dry winter, I want to ensure that this doesn't happen again with the replacements.   We are rehabbing a 1860s farmhouse, so humidity control in the overall building is non-existent, at least for now.

How do you keep your instruments at the target humidity, in and out of the case?

• Members

Since maintaining proper humidity in that house is not likely, you'll have to keep your guitar in its case, with some kind of in-case humidifier.  It can be as simple as a damp sponge in a perforated travel soap container.  Do a search of "guitar humidifiers." You'll find dozens of other means to keep your guitar humidified in its case, priced from about five bucks on up.  I would lean towards Oasis, Planet Waves, Dampit.

BTW, a cheap digital hygrometer (starting at around ten bucks) is useful for keeping tabs on the humidity level in the case or in the room.

• Members

Holy sh*t I’m all in w/FretFiend.  Yeah.

personally, oasis.. and a few hygrometers around just for grins.  You do what you can, and I’ve stopped obsessing over it.  Winter-cased and an Oasis, the tan one.  I’ve got about 13 or so cases with these.  Even the Nationals, laminate so you’d think, no, don’t need, but you do, frets, biscuits, etc..

Summer they can breathe freely.

Archived