Jaketheman777

Best Acoustic Guitars around 350?

Hey guys I'm sure this has been brought up before, feel free to point me to the correct thread. :)

I keep looking at Taki's, so now I'm trying to un-brainwash myself a little lol.

Or maybe I just know what like...I don't know for sure yet. Help!

Sooooo the question is....

Your favorite/best/exceptional guitars, used or not (I prefer used), Around 150$ - 350$ ?????????????????????

No other criteria ...

PS

Really I want to know what y'all think but...

I realize a lot of this is preference, so my main criteria are as follows

1. Sound (most subjective one lol)

2. Craftsmanship

3. Uniqueness

4. Toughness

In pretty much that order.

Anyways... doesn't have to be your criteria!! Takis still welcome!!!

At a minimum, you want a solid wood top.    At the top of your price range, you might be able to find both solid top and solid back, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Washburn-WD150SWCE-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B0058GZQQ4

Yamahas are usually a safe bet.

In terms of craftsmanship, everything in that range will be made in China.   Most of them probably in the same factory.    And they're all pretty good these days.

I'd forget about uniqueness and focus more on a brand with good resale value.

• Thanks 1

I've never met a Yamaha guitar that I didn't like - at any price point.

Several years ago I bought a Yamaha F-310 for $175 new and used it for many projects. It turned out to be a surprisingly good guitar

• Like 3

Play as many guitars as you can in your price range, and pay no attention to what's on the headstock, nor what anyone on the internet says about them.  The guitar that will work best for you is then one that feels best in your hands, and that you enjoy playing.  Within your budget, nothing else really matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteinbergerHack said:

Play as many guitars as you can in your price range, and pay no attention to what's on the headstock, nor what anyone on the internet says about them.  The guitar that will work best for you is then one that feels best in your hands, and that you enjoy playing.  Within your budget, nothing else really matters.

No more to be said ^  ^  ^  ^.

• Like 1

If you're looking at Takamine, in your price range that means the "G Series." As long as you get a straight acoustic you'll be fine. "G Series" acoustic/electrics have the saddle and transducer element integrated in one piece, which makes setups unnecessarily complicated since you have to shave material off the top of the saddle instead of the bottom. As for " Uniqueness," Breedlove comes to mind. As mentioned, Yamaha is generally a good bet. But yeah, just go out and play a bunch of guitars and see what rings your bell.

• Thanks 1

Let me be first to chime in with "look for used guitar"

It will effectively double the range of what available with your budget.

Sound could be better as the wood may now be "seasoned"

Can't speak to craftsmanship, but

Tough? Well, if it's still around, most things that could go wrong probably would have already happened

Uniqueness? here could be big payoff if you are willing to take the time looking. 15 yrs ago I was at GC Seattle and saw a "Fairytale" ("World's finest guitar" said so on sticker inside). Made in Japan, possible 70's. Copy of a Martin D-35, but $150. Took it acoustic room where real Martins were and did comparison. Close enough for government work, as some say.

Keep your eyes open for used Tacoma and/or Olympia (Korean made versions). My Tacoma jumbo amazes me

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazon, search guitars, prioritize price, scroll down until you hit 350, choose.

C’mon.  Seriously?

edit:  I apologize.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Takamine is just a brand name, made by huge guitar factories. I'd lose that brand loyalty and just go play a few until one clicks with you. It's a completely personal thing. If you find a Yamaha LL6 in that price range I'd recommend trying it out. 

• Like 4

I'd look for a 2nd hand Walden Supranatura. They are all solid wood. I have a G-2070 that I got off someone for around €300. It is worth more than twice that, imo. Also Eastman has a new line of budget guitars, the PCH series. Eastman makes some great guitars that punch far above their weight.

• Like 1

$350 is basement pricing. if you're just looking to learn then you're going to want something that's functional and comfortable to play. Quality costs a little extra. Double that and you're getting something that will not fall apart as you learn. At some point you will want to upgrade and you'll be looking at stuff in the $1200-$1500.

Personally, I'd say keep your eyes open for a used Taylor 100 series. As a rule I don't buy Asian imports anymore. If they have to cross an ocean to get to me and are made in a country that selectively follows international law then I don't feel comfortable buying "durable goods" from them.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, kwakatak said:

$350 is basement pricing. if you're just looking to learn then you're going to want something that's functional and comfortable to play. Quality costs a little extra. . . . 

Oh I think $350 is ample money to get a good guitar. There are so many good guitars around these days that it's hard to go wrong.

The Yamaha FG830 comes in around that price point and that is an excellent guitar.

Edited by garthman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, garthman said:

Oh I think $350 is ample money to get a good guitar. There are so many good guitars around these days that it's hard to go wrong.

As always, that would depend on one's definition of "good".

For a beginner, the most important thing is getting something that is easy to play and comfortable to hold.  That is what will allow them to play more often and longer, which in turn makes their experience more likely to be successful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteinbergerHack said:

For a beginner, the most important thing is getting something that is easy to play and comfortable to hold.  That is what will allow them to play more often and longer, which in turn makes their experience more likely to be successful.

You have to like the tone, too.    I had a Takamine of some sort when I was just starting out.    Flawless construction.   Nice comfortable OM-like guitar.    Utterly dead sounding.    Yeah, tone is a subjective thing, but dead is dead.    That was one of the guitars that got me interested in building them and understanding what influences tone.

Oh, and for those allergic to Chinese guitars, maybe a Seagull?    The S6 is around $400, I think.

You used to be able to find a used Martin 15-series for close to that, too.    Lovely guitars, and they come in a nice variety of body styles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kwakatak said:

$350 is basement pricing. if you're just looking to learn then you're going to want something that's functional and comfortable to play. Quality costs a little extra. Double that and you're getting something that will not fall apart as you learn. At some point you will want to upgrade and you'll be looking at stuff in the $1200-$1500.

Personally, I'd say keep your eyes open for a used Taylor 100 series. As a rule I don't buy Asian imports anymore. If they have to cross an ocean to get to me and are made in a country that selectively follows international law then I don't feel comfortable buying "durable goods" from them.

That's one reason why I won't buy American guitars anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kwakatak said:

Considering you can get a decent guitar for half that--especially if you buy used--I'd hardly refer to $350 as "basement pricing." The OP gave his criteria for what he wants and I'm going to try to follow them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SteinbergerHack said:

As always, that would depend on one's definition of "good".

Indeed. But certainly in the past 10 years or so I've found that there are very many very good guitars around at about that price point. And really, something like the Yamaha FG830 I mentioned would cost 3 to 4 times as much if it was US-made. So you could say it's just as "good" as a guitar costing $1000 to $1500. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 7:50 AM, kwakatak said:

Ding ding ding ding.  We have a winner!

• Sad 1

Eastman has a very affordable introduction line, I think they come in under $300 USD street, a bit more for the model with cutaway and pickup. I think it is called PCH. I would absolutely check them out if you can. Eastman makes guitars that punch far above their weight. 

• Like 1

Yamaha is an international company sourcing from another country that doesn't always abide by international law. Perhaps the lone wolf or the alpha male of the pack? I don't distinguish based upon the who and their personal mantras. That would eschew many, possibly most musical artists if I got that wrapped up in irrelevant and tertiary aspects diluting an interest. Any playable and sonically pleasing instrument should be considered sans the philosophes restricting what would otherwise free us all to employ our own good judgement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Idunno said:

Yamaha is an international company sourcing from another country that doesn't always abide by international law. Perhaps the lone wolf or the alpha male of the pack? I don't distinguish based upon the who and their personal mantras. That would eschew many, possibly most musical artists if I got that wrapped up in irrelevant and tertiary aspects diluting an interest. Any playable and sonically pleasing instrument should be considered sans the philosophes restricting what would otherwise free us all to employ our own good judgement.

You couldn’t dumb that down a bit for us dropouts, could you?  Tertiary, that’s a place you go see birds, innit?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Hey all, sorry I'm so late to respond.

I wish I could reply individually to everyone, but the reply button sends me to the bottom of the thread, is that how it supposed to work lol? Anyways I think the obvious advice to acknowledge is play, play, play and NOT worry so much about brand name or look or what have you. I think that's what Idunno was saying... somehow lol.                                                                                                                       

But definitely BIG thank you SteinbergerHackgarthmanGrant Harding, and DeepEnd May not be the advice I want, but the advice I need 😁😁 So, Thank you.

Also I REALLY appreciate ...

gitnoob - I'll definitely keep the solid top in mind, love washburns, have no idea why lol. Been having my eye on them.  Will try to keep my mind more open to yami's :) Thanks again bro, "solid" first response!! haha

DeepEnd - I did not know that!! This advice is superbly clutch. Thank you!! I will avoid electric acoustic G series Takis if possible (I was looking at a lot of those lol). I've seen some E series almost in my budget lol. might check them out instead. Yes im also partial to breedlove lol. 

SteinbergerHack - I liked what your were saying about beginner priorities, comfortability and ease of play. Really struck a chord, drumrooolll crashhh. Lol. However, that actually does apply for me, thank you. I should have mentioned my skill level straight out lol, although I think it may be obvious by my knowledge lolol.

Emory - I couldn't agree more man!! I'm very partial to used guitars and instruments in general haha!. I just didn't want to exclude any guitars from the conversation lol, but still . . .I love used guitars. My best friend has a beautiful 3/4 Tacoma (the way I see them more often that not). I like those guitars a lot. Tacoma reminds me of growing up in WA as well lol. Love that story!! that is why me feel about my budget haha.

Glenn F - Those guitars were previously off my radar and are quickly working there way up my "watch out for"  list. Might have to take someone's advice and PLAY one at guitar center or something lol. Appreciate that man, I'll be looking further into those two specifically.

Idunno - I appreciate your input my man, even if I didn't understand it lol. I think your saying pay no attention to brand, just sound. Idunno(😜) but it seemed well intended lol. 

onelife - I hate yamis! No i'm playing lol.... kind of (Maybe I just don't like alpha males lolol).  But seriously they always seem sort of stiff and airy to me.Except their classicals. I actually have a "Guitalele" made by them, I love it lol. But that's different cuz it's mine lol. I think I just need to play some more of them. I've heard alot of good about FG and FS, and not just here. Also, the X series which has caught my ear recently. 

So for anyone who cares here is a running list of guitars I want to play (off the dome) ... somewhere in my budget. 

Takis (lol)

S6

Yamaha X series

Masterbilt

Artwood

Olympia

Crafter

Alvarez

Something Alvarez 

Something Fender 

Guitars I want to know more about

Walden and Eastman

Silver Creek

Recording King

Art and Lutherie

Anyways, it's a start!! Thanks again, yall are an enormous help!! Keep em coming. FEEL FREE to suggest any additions OR subtractions!!

P.S. Special Thanks to everyone who stuck up for the 350 dollar guitar.

It's honestly the top of my budget for the rest of my foreseeable future lololol.

You know who you are ;)

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Jaketheman777
Formatting, typos

13 hours ago, Jaketheman777 said:

But definitely BIG thank you SteinbergerHackgarthmanGrant Harding, and DeepEnd May not be the advice I want, but the advice I need 😁😁 So, Thank you.

P.S. Special Thanks to everyone who stuck up for the 350 dollar guitar.

It's honestly the top of my budget for the rest of my foreseeable future lololol.

You know who you are ;)

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

I've only once paid more than $350 for a guitar and that was back in 1971. But in those days there was no choice - these days there is a wealth of choice.

But SteinbergerHack's advice - which I seconded - still stands, viz. go and play lots of guitars and pick the one you like best.

FWIW, there's no such thing as a Takamine "E series." The "E" means the guitar has a pickup. The letter after that is the one that designates series. A model number starting with "EG" is one of those with the troublesome saddle.

Olympia was distributed by Tacoma and that company folded 11 years ago and took Olympia with it, which means any Olympia is going to be at least that old. Not telling you not to buy one but check it out carefully. Walden folded in the last 5 years so one of those should be fine.

Artwood is Ibanez' line of "good" acoustics. The brand doesn't get much love for their acoustic guitars but I own one and I like it a lot.

Finally, Fender acoustics don't get much love around here either so if you do go that route look it over very carefully.

Best of luck and keep us posted.