2015 Webber 000 12 Fret Cutaway Case

MurkyWaters

• Members

I recently purchased this guitar. The seller stated that it didn't come with the original case but a nice one that fits. It doesn't fit! I believe the case he sent me is a classical case, the guitar fits but crooked with the right side tuning machines almost touching the inner wall of the case. The neck also does not sit straight in the cradle. I purchased a Hiscox OM/000 case from GC but that fits the same way. Sweet case but it gets returned on Monday! I haven't tried a dedicated 12 fret case, the measurements don't appear to match. Does anyone own a David Webber 000 12 fret? What case came with it or does anyone know for sure what case will it fit? Best measurements I took in inches are:

Upper bout - 11.5

Lower bout - 15.5

Waist - 9.5

Body - 20.5

Depth - 4.0 to 3.5

Neck from the 12th fret to the nut - 12.75

Total length is about 40 inches

I really like the guitar and would like to find a close fit hard case. My Taylor 414 case works but is not perfect. Best fit so far though, it at least lays straight!

Thank you! Any input would be appreciated!

• Members

I have had good luck with TKL cases fitting most of the guitars I build, including several 000's and OM's. You can go thru their catalog and check different cases.

https://tkl.com/en/uproduct/tkl-premier-om-000-guitar-case?id=07805%2FBL

Last time I called them (which has been several years ago) they were very helpful in fitting a case,

You aren't satisfied with an off the shelf case, Cedar Creek is TKL's custom case division and they can make a case to fit anything

http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

I have had them build three cases for me - they are expensive, long delivery, and fit beautifully.

• Members

Hey thanks for all the advice! I have found some 000 12 fret cases but I admit that the measurements throw me off. The measurements for a Geib style Guardian and the Martin models are basically these:

Total Length: 41.75"

Body Length: 20.875"

Lower Bout: 15.5"

Upper Bout: 12.5"

Depth: 5"

The depth looks to deep, When I put the guitar in my Taylor case it lays in the case at an angle with alot of space under the upper bout. I beleive the Larrivee's won't work because with the L shape the lower bout is 16". What measurements are most critical? Maybe it's time for a gig bag? Nah! The TKL 000 looks good but is not specified for a 12 fret. I think that was the problem with the Hiscox.

Looks like there is some work ahead!

• Members

Murky, here is my 000 in its TKL case. The guitar was built to prewar Martin triple ought size which seems to be a hair smaller than yours. Mine is 20-1/2 long, 14-7/8 across the LB, 10-7/8 across the UB. The length over all is 39-7/8 and the depth at the tail block is 4-3/8. Mine is a 12 fret long scale (most 000's are short scale). It fits very nicely in the TKL case. Remember that in the Martin nomenclature there are two different triple oughts - 12 and 14 fret. The 14 fretters are basically the same body size as an OM, but are short scale.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_5599.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t156.8 KB ID:\t32570778","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32570778","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_5600.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t164.2 KB ID:\t32570779","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32570779","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

I also have a triple ought twelve string with exactly the same size body but with its long scale (26-1/2) and long slotted headstock would not fit in the standard TKL 000 case. I had to have a custom case built for it, after which I learned to build guitars that fit off the shelf cases.

I'll also repeat what I said in my earlier post - TKL's customer service was very helpful when I called them (several years ago). You might give that a try. Also on the Cedar Creek website they have a form that you fill out when ordering a case from them - you might want to try that. They will give you a quote but you should be sitting down.

IMG_5599.JPG.55703cf390a87c60a6cc7b565b9c1a25.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG.e2eb92db4baaf0cbd946e4b38fe0cfcc.JPG

• Members

Martin makes a 000-15S, which is somewhat of an oddball in that it is also a 12-fret 000 with 25.4" scale.

Google suggests they may be using the Guardian case.

https://reverb.com/item/6852471-guardian-cg-020-os-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk4qkx_mM5AIVBNNkCh30TQkEEAYYAiABEgJCefD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&merchant_id=117795649&pla=1&utm_campaign=709583888&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

• Members

For what it is worth, I have single, double and triple ought guitars as well as an OM, each has a TKL case. The 000 and OM can fit in each other's case but the fit isn't perfect. I do know that the OM (right) fits perfectly in a Martin thermoplastic OM case. I haven't tried the 000. The red lined case is the 000 case, it is 12 years old, the grey one is fairly new and designated for an OM. I don't know the model of either.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32570813}[/ATTACH]

Each case was ordered for that particular model and verified with TKL sales people. All of these guitars were built to plans or dimensions taken from prewar Martins of that designation. I know there are variations in particularly the 000 specs - the UMGF FAQ has a pretty good summary.

Larrivee makes or made both 000 and OM designations but I don't know how closely he adheres to the Martin standard. I don't have a clue what Webber does.

One option, of course, is to take the Webber down to your local guitar store. Every one of those guitars hanging on the wall has a case somewhere in a back room. Keep trying until you find the one that fits, then have the store order it for you.

IMG_5601.JPG.a99929aa933ff3a915ab8ec73375a2bb.JPG

• Members

I'm sure you guys all know your guitar history, but the 000 designation was originally 12-frets, 24.9" scale, and round shouldered. Bechtel requested custom mods in 1929 that eventually became the OM.

So, there is a pre-war 000 that is 14-frets, 25.4" scale, and square shouldered. They added the belly bridge in 1930 and called it an OM.

Since then, Martin bounces back and forth between "000" and 'OM" designations. That's why there's a 000-15S with 25.4" scale and round shoulders as well as a 000-28EC with 24.9" scale and square shoulders. Crazy if you ask me. :)

• Members

Well after much thought (way too much!), searching and following up on leads, considering ease of order, quality and price I think I am going to look into this one:

https://reverb.com/item/6945718-new-guardian-cg-044-os-vintage-hardshell-12th-fret-ooo-guitar-case-black

I am headed to GC tomorrow to return the Hiscox case I purchased online. If they don't have something different in stock or that I can try out and order the Guardian seems like a good choice.The measurements look like the Webber will fit and it's an upgrade from the CG -020 - OS. Once I finally land the case I will post pics and review. Thanks to all!

• Members
26 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

TKL made most of Webber's cases over the years.  Contact TKL as they should have the specs for making a case for a Webber 000-12 fret.

BTW, those are quite nice guitars.

And deserving of a good case.  I have a Guardian vintage for a ‘37 00-17, and it’s a good, solid workhorse of a case.  Wouldn’t put it in airline luggage, but lugging it around and resting at home, perfect.

Fav cases are Ameritage, 3 Uke cases, and if the guitar ones are similar, I’d fly with that.  Lot less than Calton.

• Members

Well I pulled the trigger on a Guardian Vintage 000 12 fret case! I did end up getting a response from David Webber and he did recommend the TKL cases. I had been in contact with TKL but quite honestly they didn't seem too interested in making the sale. Maybe it was timing but they were slow to respond and when I called back today they promised me a call back in a few minutes and then let closing time pass. I called well before closing time and had my credit card out on the counter ready to place the order. I also called or visited  my local music shops (Seattle area) with no luck, they all wanted me to bring my guitar in while admitting they had no 000 12 fret cases in stock. One shop even wanted to sell me (over the phone) on a classical case which I felt I had already been down that road.

I have purchased from Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto, CA and had good experiences so I decided to purchase the case online. The Gryphon representative was patient and knowledgeable, he compared the interior measurements of the case with my guitar and felt it would be a good fit. I should receive the case on or about Tuesday. When the case arrives I will post pics of the (hopefully!) good fit!

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/guardian-case-vintage-hardshell-case-12fret-000-new-52250

Thanks for all the input!

• Members

Too bad I didn't know you were in Seattle.   I'm just across the mountain and I have a bunch of different cases (as I tried to tell  you) that you could have tried.   Hope the Guardian case works for you.

Interesting that today I picked up the personal 000-C that belongs to the owner of our little music store to do a setup.   He would have been another source of information.

• Members

Too bad I didn't know you were just across the mountain Freeman! Maybe I would have keyed in better on what you were trying to tell me. I do appreciate your input as you always have some good things to say. I tried the TKL route, the Hiscox case and even purchased a Gator TSA classical case that on paper (as far as the GC site) and comparing the numbers with the sales kid at the store looked like it would fit. It wasn't even close and after I went to the Gator site found out they had entirely different measurements than GC. I thought I might have measured my guitar wrong. So I too hope the Guardian case works out.

Maybe with the price difference of the Guardian compared to others I'll buy a good gig bag to fit both my Taylor 414 and the Webber? That can be a new thread.

• Members

If it doesn't work or you are just out for a sunday drive, I'm in Wenatchee.   I personally have 00, 000, and OM's in my guitar collection and each has a case that you could try.   I also have a really good relationship with my local store and we could try their cases to see if anything would work.   Anyway, if you ever come to the dry side give me a call.

• Members

I received the case and I finally have time to post! I have to say first that Gryphon Strings was super to work with on this. From the order to my doorstep was only a few days and the packing of the case was impeccable! I've never even had a guitar shipped that safe! I have to write them too with a thank you.

The Guardian case is nice, it's not a custom fit but there is very little space all around the guitar body. The most space is at the bottom but there is no movement, a very snug fit. The length is good and the guitar fits straight with the neck centered in the cradle. The height is perfect and the leather handle is a classy touch. The latches are gold and work well. All in all it seems like a sturdy case! So my guitar case dilemma ends with a positive. The Webber is finally safe and now can be taken about with little fear of getting trashed!

Thanks to everyone!

case 1 resize.jpg

case 2 resize.jpg

case 4 resize.jpg

case 5 resize.jpg

1031196342_case1resize.thumb.jpg.ddd2d71e5cad3fbc8772951fe8362458.jpg

1309419150_case2resize.thumb.jpg.37f762d256b69e5da54f32fda4cb0ab8.jpg

62999197_case4resize.thumb.jpg.1689aec4ac8b4cd5eb134bdba872c7d4.jpg

533035916_case5resize.thumb.jpg.e94195151f591f330f600729a312e788.jpg

Archived