Two Telecaster players in the same band?

New Trail

• Members

I'm not a Tele guy but I have one. I just changed out the pickups on it and liked it a lot better. After I started using it the other guitarist in the band started using HIS Tele. Before that he mostly played a Les Paul, occasionally the Tele. But since I started liking my Tele he's used his exclusively. Is that weird? Two Les Paul players in the same band doesn't seem strange, but two Teles does, or is that just me?

• Members

Years ago I saw a special of some kind on TV that featured a number of studio musicians from back in the day. IIRC there were four or five guitarists and all but one played a Tele, the odd man out played a big Gibson hollowbody. They're just kinda standard in some respects. For that matter, two Teles wouldn't be out of place in a Country band at all.

• Members

Far normal-er than two basses. Even if the both of you just jangle away in the same space, only the listeners would even notice. Then there's Nashville tuning and a little known skill called arranging; music can be had with all kinds of combinations.

• Members

it happens...

[video=youtube;fbEstJ98TcM]

I find the telecaster can be whatever you want it to be - the design is that good.

One of my teachers, Ed Bickert, played jazz on a tele which he got as a loaner when he took his hollow body to the shop for repairs. “It could have been any other kind of solidbody, I guess,” he said. “It’s just one of these things where I got used to it, felt comfortable with it and it’s certainly very hard to smash it.”

Archived