Sign in to follow this  
Chordite

"The one I should have kept." (nearly) Everybody has one.

In my case 15 years back it was my 1960s Hagstrom (to pay the mortgage)

I should have sold the Les Paul instead because it would have been totally replaceable when better times returned, The Hagstrom not so much.Lesson learned keep the rarest not the most expensive

Similar to the one being very ably demonstrated here (after a suspect start)

[video=youtube_share;YbkpJGqkRko]

What was yours? (the financially fortunate with large houses who 'keep everything' need not reply :) )

• Like 1

I've had to get rid of several over the years; a '67 gold top with P90s, a '65 SG special, an early '60s melody maker. The one I would most like to have now is an old black and white Silvertone hollow body with a bigsby tail piece, similar to the Chris Isaak type. It was a very nice instrument with an interesting sound. I've only seen one exactly the same; in a fake storefront in Dollywood. I sold it when I was a kid and didn't really know what I had.

Posted (edited)

a Gretsch Clipper from about 1964.

My girlfriend at the time couldn't understand why I had so many guitars so I.sold a couple., Eventually got rid of her as well

This one is NOT MINE but identical to it

Come to think of it ,mine had a pickgaurd

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/images.reverb.com\/image\/upload\/s--8XvYHh62--\/f_auto,t_supersize\/v1564410564\/j7t9nlzpxbarxacty9d5.jpg"}[/img2]

Edited by gardo

There's a couple pieces I shouldna bought but I hold on to everything. I threw in an Ibanez potato bug tube screamer against a Boogie V1 OD in the 90s but that and a GE7 on I forget what are it on trades.

Guitars are like Girlfriends. Do you regret giving some up? Sure, but how would you have found the best match unless you trusted your instincts they weren't the best option and moved on to something else.

I can honestly say the guitars I gave up weren't the best match for my playing just like separating from women when we weren't the best match for each other. You can spend the rest of your life playing the "what if" game but you'll have plenty of time for that when you're too old to play.

1965 Gibson Es330, 67 or so Gibson Non Reverse Firebird w/P90s, 56? Supro Belmont in original mother of toilet seat pink with gold hardware, late 60's Danelectro Vincent Bell Coral Firefly, 2005 Carvin Holdsworth H2 Fatboy. Of everything listed, the Fatboy is the one I miss the most.

Posted (edited)

I had a 1990 Gretsch White Falcon I bought new that played nice but sounded like crap. It was one of the thinner ones with a double cutaway. Anyway back in those days there was no TV Jones so I sold it. I got a good price for it (the same $2400 I paid for it 8 years earlier) but now I just wish I hung onto it and replaced the pickups. Anyway I might buy one again if I can find that same model used and less than 2 grand.

Edited by guitarcapo

I have a couple of 'regrets', but looking back, I made the right decisions...a 1940s Slingerland 6 string banjo...sold to a friend's brother, stumbled on it again several years later at Norman's at twice what I had sold it for, but I wasn't using it, and had not touched it for years....and it paid for part of one of my kids' braces. My Rickenbacker 320 [yes, sometimes owners sell them despite the article's claim]...I was no longer doing Beatles and Byrds material, and it really wasn't getting played...paid for my alimony/Child Support one month. A '63 Fender XII...that guitar paid for itself in rentals to other guitarists....but I needed a Marshall halfstack....which was eventually stolen. My second Marshall SL100/1960A halfstack...sold to pay for baby furniture.

Now truth be told, I toy with the idea of thinning my herd periodically. The cases don't all fit in the closet anymore, and there are guitars all over the house, electrics, acoustics, a/e's, basses, lap steels, ukeleles, violin, koto...and I would like to get another 12 string [and I don't know why!]

What would I let go? Hmmmm...my early 70s SG, my 2002 ES135LE, the Robelli resonator...and then there are all the amps...and the pedals...and the keyboards... and...

Ibanez AF105 NT

I sold it to purchase a Tele. I should have sold a different guitar. I still have the Tele and it is my got to guitar, but I miss that hollowbody guitar.

1978 Antigua Telecaster.  mint.  I got a fair price for it, and have a couple really great teles, probably all of them 'better' than that Antigua, but still.

I have two that I really kick myself for getting rid of... my very first Gibson Les Paul, and a mocha '73 Telecaster that had chocolate-colored sides. Both were great guitars.

A late 60s strat that I modified for two Gibson humbuckers in 1970. Back then, no one was making third party pickguards so I had a friend who worked at CIBA-GEIGY pick me up a white piece of scrap material that I could template as needed. Turns out, it was pure 1/8" teflon... back then it was probably worth more than the entire guitar. All my buddies thought I was nuts, but I loved the strat body and Gibson sound. I used my Dad's super set of wood chisels to hand route out space for the larger pickups, but one thing that I didn't realize was, the teflon was not entirely opaque and you could still see the space where the center single coil went. I sold it when going to college in Dallas, probably to make rent or possibly for food. Definitely wish I had it back... I put a lot of sweat equity in that axe. BTW, I still have that hand-tooled, weed-inspired leather strap.

modified_strat1970.jpg

Original Jackson Randy Rhodes model in all black. Sold it so that I could get a Marshall 50w combo. Never bought the combo. An Original DR-103 half stack. Guy was heading back to Berlin and couldn't take it with him. Was willing to trade for some Boss pedals. Cant remember the reason why didn't do the try but it was probably pretty stupid. Oh well!

Traded my Squier Stagemaster for a S-U-B Axis, and now I regret it. The 'licensed by' Floyd trem on my Squier was pretty solid and reliable as I recall. The locking trem on the S-U-B seems to be a lot more finicky, and I've broken strings a few times. And the overall build quality and wood quality seems to be lacking in the S-U-B.