gardo

Does anyone actually buy recorded music?

8I definitely still buy hardcopies of music, and BluRays as well.  I don't like the quality of streaming, and I like to be able to listen to specific things on demand.

If you don't own the hardcopy (which includes a digital rip on your local storage device), the song or movie may disappear completely or get temporarily pulled back.  Yes, I've seen it happen with specific titles as part of a market timing approach.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:20 AM, Grant Harding said:
Call me alien but I've never "got" a pop tune let alone a whole theme album. There's a little bit of snobb (gooder spelling I think) too 'cause like what exactly about the vision of a drug and sex fueled exhibitionist should I need to admire anyway? I do love the hooks though.

Not alien, just a music snob. Simple, fun music seems to bring our the Brandord Marsalis in you.

If only there was some Branford in there - although I'd prolly prefer some Wynton. :D

Actually snobe dun reelly apply. I find a lot of "simple" music, monotonous and un fun. Includes a whole bunch of live "people" music. The stuff where the experience is being drunk and high and the only intent is to get laid anyway. Those are the gigs where you might make some money ------- in trade for your integrity and eventually your abilities as a musician; distinguishing between entertainer and musician here. To me, marveling at the accomplishments of a master craftsman be it player, writer, or maker is fun, entertaining and far more rewarding and satisfying.

I started in the music business over 25 years ago, and resolved from day one to never sell or give away a CD.

A few years ago I started transferring everything into iTunes as uncompressed audio, sorted by about 40 playlists, and continue buying about ten to fifteen CDs monthly.  My library is now over 100,000 songs, running through an MBox II that is wired to the big main stereo.  I can search anything and play it LOUD at full resolution, with the physical product stored as backup.  Most recent pickups were six Roy Buchanan albums, three by Danny Gatton, a Frank Zappa and a Sturgill Simpson.

I love buying physical product.  With licensing the way it is, digital only might disappear here and there as agreements are updated, and you don't get liner notes and full credits.  Also, if I preview something on YTube (through the same stereo system as my music playback) and then play the same thing uncompressed it truly is night and day - full frequency crushes streaming for sound quality.  Of course, smaller playback systems and / or consumer headphones might not matter so much.

I still keep an eye out for good new music, and then buy it when I can.  Old fashioned, I guess.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike_JC said:

Also, if I preview something on YTube (through the same stereo system as my music playback) and then play the same thing uncompressed it truly is night and day - full frequency crushes streaming for sound quality.  Of course, smaller playback systems and / or consumer headphones might not matter so much.

I still keep an eye out for good new music, and then buy it when I can.  Old fashioned, I guess.

Couldn't agree more. Most streaming and mp3s are just garbage quality TBH.  

Sounds like you have a nice setup btw. :thu:

• Like 1

I still buy cds.  I'm old though, 56.  In fact I had 5 cds delivered to my house this week.  I take them and load them onto my Apple music thing (what ever it is now)  I also bought a cd from Apply Music and the burnt a copy for back up that I play on my home stereo.  

I occasionally buy used CD's to use as reference tracks. But I also once in a while buy new album releases on CD to support my favourite bands/artists. It might be a collector's mentality but I feel like having physical copies of an artist's music helps to solidify myself as a true fan and not just some casual listener who knows a couple of songs. The last physical album I bought was 'The Blue Hour' by Suede. I also own all of their albums.

8 hours ago, Mike_JC said:

Also, if I preview something on YTube (through the same stereo system as my music playback) and then play the same thing uncompressed it truly is night and day - full frequency crushes streaming for sound quality.  Of course, smaller playback systems and / or consumer headphones might not matter so much.

Oh how I miss hifi. but I don't miss it.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:27 AM, 1001gear said:

If only there was some Branford in there - although I'd prolly prefer some Wynton. :D

Actually snobe dun reelly apply. I find a lot of "simple" music, monotonous and un fun. Includes a whole bunch of live "people" music. The stuff where the experience is being drunk and high and the only intent is to get laid anyway. Those are the gigs where you might make some money ------- in trade for your integrity and eventually your abilities as a musician; distinguishing between entertainer and musician here. To me, marveling at the accomplishments of a master craftsman be it player, writer, or maker is fun, entertaining and far more rewarding and satisfying.

I usually end up tuning out after 20 minutes of "master craftsman" types trying to prove how clever they are. I prefer music generally. 

2 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I usually end up tuning out after 20 minutes of "master craftsman" types trying to prove how clever they are. I prefer music generally. 

well then they simply aren't.

• Haha 1

Man, it makes me sad to see postings on a musicians website from people saying they no longer purchase music.  While a lot of it is not current, I still like to buy at least 3 to 4 CDs or vinyl records every month.  I still buy books, too.  I am fortunate enough to live near, and work in, a city that has good record stores and book stores. Buy local (or at a show) if you can, and support people who are being creative.  Music, art, and literature are essential to life. 

• Thanks 1

The internet has changed shopping forever

It is also changing the music industry 

There are many sites that stream music.,some free like pandora 

Tape decks and CD players are no longer needed in cars, At home I use my phone or computer to listen 

I suppose a good many people do have I tunes accounts  So there are people buying 

But the business has changed 

I still buy CDs when I need to fill gaps in my collection. I am now my parents, insofar that I really don't find any modern music appealing or as 'good' as it was when I was growing up. So, that is a limiting factor.

Next CD that is already pre-ordered is the Abbey Road remix.

I very rarely buy mp3s, generally only when there's only one or two songs I want from an artist.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Haha 1

In August I read the new SRV book. I have his concert DVD's and box set, and went back and bought all his studio albums and listened to them as I read through the book.

This week I started looking back at Eric Clapton's career and ordered his Blues Breakers album, Eric Clapton, 461 Ocean Blvd, EC was Here, The Road to Escondido.