Does anyone actually buy recorded music?

gardo

• Members

I can't remember the last time I actually bought recorded music. I listen to college radio stations in the car and in the garage.. sometimes I use Pandora at home or elsewhere , I browse youtube from time to time but I have no itunes account. and I don't buy anything

No illegal downloads either. I have many boxes of recorded music from the past ,but it never gets played. Does anyone actually collect music anymore?

• Members

I haven't had much to say here for quite a while but I saw this and thought I'd comment. I buy lots of recorded music. Almost every time I go to a gig - I pick up a copy of the music. If I go to a house concert or a blues festival or listen to a singer/song writer I like I usually buy their music. Its one way to say thanks and support them - I believe in doing both those things.

I live in a back water part of the state were we literally do not have a good radio station. I tried Serios when I bought a new car - it was OK but when I had to pay for it I went back to my cd's or iPod. We stream Pandora in the evening in the house but often I pull a cd out and stick it in the player, and in the car there is always a cd in the dash.

I really wouldn't know how to down load music (I could figure it out but its too much work) and I don't do bootlegs or borrowed cd's or any of that . I'm pretty old fashioned.

• Members

One of my buddies has a shop that deals classic cars and parts .Like you he picks up a copy of the music when he's out somewhere. He's got a CD changer in the shop that's always on and I enjoy stopping in and hearing music I don't hear anywhere else. .I may even take a disc home and give it a listen.

• Members

Have not heard anything I'd buy that isn't available on Ytoob or similar and ethical issues aside, "legitimate" and free downloaders are available in abundance. Google obliges by providing download links. Just look up 'free mp3 downloader' or best this or that and you'll get top ten lists galore. Google even provides the download links once you're set up. These are all personal use only but still for most that's all music is.

• Members

still buy cd's either to support the artist or to have a physical copy.

with my kids its a ritual in morning for breakfast to select a cd to listen to.

i do not like streaming, cause over time it always plays more of the same...

i miss the glorys days of mtv

yes i watch youtube, but if i like something i try to go to their concert and/or buy their music

• Members
I have not bought as much since I got my Spotify Premium subscription, but I do occasionally, and I use Spotify all the time.

The latest physical album on the want list is the upcoming 50th anniversary deluxe version of Abbey Road. I’ll have to buy that.

I can see buying Abbey Road but I can't imagine ever unsealing or playing it

• Members
still buy cd's either to support the artist or to have a physical copy.

with my kids its a ritual in morning for breakfast to select a cd to listen to.

i do not like streaming, cause over time it always plays more of the same...

i miss the glorys days of mtv

yes i watch youtube, but if i like something i try to go to their concert and/or buy their music

Hard to imagine MTV actually playing music..

• Members

Supposedly country music fans still buy CDs and that's the case with my wife. How do think Taylor Swift is the only person left in the music industry making 'rock star' money?

I got to see Louis Cole with his band KNOWER live in Dallas a few months back, and I was excited to support this guy financially by buying a ticket to his live show. Yeah, I could *pay* for his music on Spotify/iTunes/whatever, but it's too damn easy to just pull up YouTube and listen away.

I'm older, and my home situation (wife & 8 year old girl) doesn't really allow me to kick back and listen to an album all the way through without distractions and interruptions. I might buy one or two CDs or LPs a year now.

Supposedly country music fans still buy CDs and that's the case with my wife. How do think Taylor Swift is the only person left in the music industry making 'rock star' money?

She hasn't been "Country" for quite a while now, has she? :confused2: Maybe it's the residual sales from the previous Country records that is fueling her income? :idk:

I can see buying Abbey Road but I can't imagine ever unsealing or playing it

I should probably be "collecting" that kind of stuff, but I generally don't. What relatively little Beatles memorabilia I own is out and on display, and the records / CDs I have bought, including rarer items like picture disks (I even once owned a copy of the original "Butcher Cover" version of Yesterday & Today...) all get opened and played... although the butcher cover LP was opened before I got it - I may have made an exception for that one had it not been opened already.

Same with guitars, mics, rare pedals, etc... anything "old" or "vintage" or "collectable" that I have here is part of a different kind of "investment" - they're here to be used to make / play music, not to sit unused in a vault.

• Members

I should probably be "collecting" that kind of stuff, but I generally don't. What relatively little Beatles memorabilia I own is out and on display, and the records / CDs I have bought, including rarer items like picture disks (I even once owned a copy of the original "Butcher Cover" version of Yesterday & Today...) all get opened and played... although the butcher cover LP was opened before I got it - I may have made an exception for that one had it not been opened already.

Same with guitars, mics, rare pedals, etc... anything "old" or "vintage" or "collectable" that I have here is part of a different kind of "investment" - they're here to be used to make / play music, not to sit unused in a vault.

Well alright Phil

That's the difference between owning things and being owned by things

• Members

Still buy cds because I want a hard copy to play to visitors, You can just load a cd and have full social control but if you open the internet everyone is like " Ooh look up this, look up that." and it takes over.

PS I also buy cds to repeat tracks studying production. Just bought a New Musik double album Anywhere and From A to B to that end

Not sure if they got to the US but this was one of their early 1980s UK (and Japan) hits. There's a lot going on with their tracks because Tony Mansfield was more of a studio guy than stage.

[video=youtube_share;209abn8YPNk]

• Members

Hard to imagine MTV actually playing music..

there is actually something called "MTV Live" here in europe, which plays 24/7 "live" music, mostly from festivals which i never heard of, with artists i never heard of, before a hugh crowd of teenagers.

i don't know if its mainstream pop but sure its no rock or guitar related music so for me its dispensable :)

• Members

I usually pick up a few CDs on annual trip back to states. Some have to be replacements, as some strange rot happens here in Thailand, usually to CD/DVDs I like. Had to get new copy of "Love", that Beatles DVD in 5.1 as original rendered unplayable. I suppose I'll get the Beatles Abbey Road as I read it will have that in 5.1. I have butcher cover, bought it new when it came out, did my own steam off. Recorded music and guitars are made to be played IMO. All guitars are beach guitars. If I want to invest, I'll buy stock.

chordite and grant i hear ya' date=' we are on the same boat, and i try teach to my kids also to listen to a whole album and not just random songs[/quote']

Unfortunately, the album as an art form is, if not dead, then at least not feeling very well these days... and more's the pity IMO.

We're back to the pre-Beatles era where singles rule, and albums, when they're released at all, are often afterthoughts that are too commonly full of filler that doesn't measure up to the artist's best work.

And that bums me out, because I really love the album as an art form when it's approached from that angle and done thoughtfully.

• Members

Call me alien but I've never "got" a pop tune let alone a whole theme album. There's a little bit of snobb (gooder spelling I think) too 'cause like what exactly about the vision of a drug and sex fueled exhibitionist should I need to admire anyway? I do love the hooks though.

• Members

I was an impulse buyer, which means I bought a lot of vinyl albums through the 70's and early 80's. Then Cd came out, I had more money and bought even more cd's. I'm not sure how many cd's and vinyl albums I have but it might be 6000.

The first couple 1000's didn't take up that much room.

These days they have closed down most of the local shops where I could buy an album. There is one record store in the area.

The last cd I bought was Chris Stapleton. It was easy to find and grabbed A Room: Volume 1vol and Volume 2. That was probably a year ago.

Vinyl is back, but the more difficult they made it for me to physically purchase a cd or record, the less I buy. I hate getting stuff from Amazon, it comes 2-3 days later, might have a broke case, might not.

I used to love Cococuts, Best Buy, The Record Giant.

• Members

Couple years BC there was Wherehouse and Licorice Pizza besides Tower Records. The only vinyl I got was classical. By the times CDs were common I was buying studio jazz - mostly GRP. Then came Amazon and more classical plus readily available oldies. Tijuana Brass, Ventures, Buddy Rich etc...

Got another couple dozen or more then current releases from Walmart and an assortment of oldies from the 5 dollar bin including Tommy complete and I think that was it.

• Members
. . . . . . still buy cd's either to support the artist or to have a physical copy . . . . .

Yes, me too.

Most (almost all) the music I listen to is on CD. I also have a bookshelf full of vinyl albums - many are a tad the worse for wear and I've replaced those I like a lot with CDs - but many are fine and they often get an airing too.

And they are played on my old "separates" hi-fi system.

• Members
Call me alien but I've never "got" a pop tune let alone a whole theme album. There's a little bit of snobb (gooder spelling I think) too 'cause like what exactly about the vision of a drug and sex fueled exhibitionist should I need to admire anyway? I do love the hooks though.
Not alien, just a music snob. Simple, fun music seems to bring our the Brandord Marsalis in you.

• Members

Yeah, I still buy CDs and vinyl, in fact I just bought a used copy of Leon Russell and Friends: Session from ReverbLP.com. I get CDs and vinyl from Amazon, eBay, or ReverbLP.

Sometimes, if the CD of a record I want to get is available, I'll get the CD instead of the vinyl version, because not only will the CD have bonus cuts on it, it will be cheaper than the vinyl. I can remember when it was the other way around, ie: when vinyl was cheaper than CDs.

Archived