That was unexpected...

Gary Blanchard

• Members

After finally getting the Gibson a couple of years ago, I thought I was set. Right...

In April I met Devon Macrae at the New England Folk Festivals selling hand-made guitars, mandolins, and other stringed instruments. I fell in love with his instruments and commissioned him to build one for me. The body is cherry, made from wood that has been in his family's barn for over 100 years. The top is Alaskan spruce, and he installed a K and K mini pickup. It is so beautiful to play and sounds wonderful.

• Members

Gary, you’ve been supplementing your income** for years with “ok” instruments and done a fine job of it. It’s about time you parted with some of that excess performing cash. I know, it’s just less money you’ll have to give to your financial advisor team, but they can sacrifice.

**doing the stuff we all talk about.

nice guitar btw. Seh-heh-exy!

Hah! How do you think?

Probably gorgeous, if the way it looks is any indication. :) But I have limited first-hand experience with cherry-bodied guitars, so I was curious as to how it compares tonally to other guitars that use more commonly-used body woods, like maple, mahogany or rosewood.

• Members

I like the look. The Norman B20-12 I had was Cherry with a spruce top. Very loud and probably a bit of a raucous sounding guitar. Not suited for the average set of nerves, it was like finger picking a chalk board. But, it could cut through a mix. Definitely not a soloing tool.

• Members

I never thought of a J45's sound to be anywhere near that of a normal Cherry wood soundbox. The J45 has always been a thumping, damped sound lacking projection and certainly resonance. If that new guitar is mellower than the J45 I'm thinking it's quiet.

• Members

Hey! It sounds EXACTLY like a 6 string guitar. The big questions are, how does it feel in your hands, and does it subtly coerce you into being a better player? No need to answer (but you are free to expound!), as those questions are answered in your reviews, a yes.

That is really what new things regarding our present pastime/part-time/obsession (pick one or even more!) need to accomplish. Inspiration and mechanical comfort. Sound follows.

Archived