Middle Pickup Suggestions Needed

ksl

• Members

Hi all~~ I just finished a Strat pickguard with P90's (10k) in the neck & bridge, & a Dimarzio SDS-1 in the middle (only because I had a spare), & I'm not at all happy with the 2 or 4 sounds. The setup is a 5-way switch, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, & a blender knob for mixing the neck & bridge. Simple. But I want i single coil Stratty p/u with a great stand alone tone, but something that would give me quacky or interesting 2 & 4 sounds. Something altogether new! My middle SDS-1 is simply too hot & dark for that slot & doesn't have anything to offer opposite the P90's. I'd live to hear about real great results that many of you may have come across. Thanks in advance & looking forward to hearing about some real world results!

🕉

• Members

You need to compare the coil resistances and try and get something that's between your other two pickups. After that unfortunately its just a matter of trial and error. The DC resistance is only good up to a point. Its the number of Henry's a coil has (combination of magnets, coils and winds) which are going to dictate the loudness and tones you'll get.

I have combines P90's with other pickups myself and had to try at least 10 different pickups to get something close. Eventually I got frustrated with the P90 low output and swapped it with a Mini Humbucker and matched it with a Mighty Mite ( the type SRV used which is similar to the Dimarzio super distortion. That wound up being by far the best combo of Full sized and Mini HB I've found to date.

Another problem I had with the P90 is it can be out of phase with one of the humbucker coils which makes the tone sound thin. Not as thin as two single clils out of phase, but enough to realize they were working against each other instead of together.

As advice I'd try and find a vintage wind HB that has a low output. Otherwise buy one of those Artec HB sized single coils. I suspect you already have the hole cut so it would be difficult using another P90 or mini without adaptor rings.

Here's what they call a P94 that might work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-94-Style-Humbucker-sized-P-90-Neck-Pickup-Chrome-Black-Ceramic-5/273906204711?hash=item3fc6150027:g:4YgAAOSwbeNdE~qn:sc:USPSFirstClass!77088!US!-1

Here's some others. If you still have an imbalance simply use different pots to vary the output, 250k or 300K to reduce output and 500K and 1 Meg to get the max levels. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AlNiCo-V-P90-Humbucker-Size-Single-Coil-Pickup-Set-HB90-Neck-or-Bridge/133065466517?hash=item1efb51e295:m:m0hM3gGLW67EbOXxFdlfwhw

• Members

I play different forms of Rock, Blues, Classic Rock and Metal .

On my Blues guitar, I like to put in a pickup that between 5.8k ohms to 7.8k ohms in a Strat's mid slot.

On my Metal guitars, I put in a DiMarzio Fast Track 2, while distorted in the #4 position, it cleans up great and I don't lose treble if I just lower the volume on the bridge pickup.

I mean we can give you a million suggestions, but you have to live with your tonal choices, you'll find your perfect combination eventually !!!!

Good luck !!!!

Archived