ibanez usa fake?

ratson page 3

• Members

I met a guy who currently says he is selling a ibanez 760 custom usa from 89 for about 800 euros, the problem is that I do not find anything in the catalogs of ibanez of the custom series that was made in the 90s, specifically of this model a 760 according to him, the serial number mentions that it is 89 or 1999 but the serial I think should say LA ****** (Los Angeles California) followed by the numbers, but this begins with F ****** (which is for Japan), do you think the guitar is original? I asked in Ibanez but they do not answer for what the most reliable source is discarded, so I think that this would be an order to do but I am not at all sure apart I think that from the headstock part you want to leave

• Moderators

Okay, I'm certainly not an expert on Ibanez RG series guitars, but shouldn't the serial number be on the neck plate, not on the head stock?

The only late 80s USA made ones I've seen had the serial # on the plate, then again they had a H-S-S config with a selector, not a single p-up. Like this one on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/999991-rare-...-760-dark-grey

Does the seller have any provenance, like an original sales slip?

Frankly, if you have misgivings that research and/or the seller can't resolve, I suggest you pass on the deal.

• Members

There was no such thing as a true "MADE IN THE USA" model. In 88 or 89, they moved from Ben Salem PA, to LA. During that period, they did a series of guitar parts (bodies and necks) that were built in Japan at FGG, (Fugi Gen Gakki) then assembled and setup here in the states. Some tweaks were done in LA, different pickups, electronics, and refinish, (of which the LA Custom Shop was most known for.) to a customers personal specs. But built in the states, very few and fair between.

By the way, yours is NOT a RG 760.

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG760

I don't know what model the one you picture is, but the only single pickup Ibanez I know of from that time period, was the Roadstar RG140 but your body doesn't fit that.

Archived