VOM1T July 2019

garthman

• Members

It's VOM time again so let's hear some music.

My submission this month is a song penned by Neil Young that featured on the CSNY 1970 album "Deja Vu".

"Helpless" by Neil Young

https://app.box.com/s/xdk5od98d71i4yhfjclsp8u63vqxgbi1

A stripped down cover played on my 12 string acoustic guitar strummed with the side of my thumb and sung in "head" voice. One take recorded with a single Toshiba EM-120 condenser microphone about 2 feet in front of me.

• Members

Another twofer for me. Both originals. First, a country tune with an unusual history. I wrote the first verse and chorus in about 2005 but I couldn't think of a second verse. I finally wrote a second verse about five years later and recorded the song for a VOM several years ago. I always thought it needed a third verse and I finally wrote one last week. Herewith, I present "You Could've Left It At That":

Second is a Christian song based loosely on The Lord's Prayer, called "In My Quiet Place." I posted this a couple of years ago but I've been singing it again lately so I thought I might as well share it: https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/in-my-quiet-place.

• Members

garthman - I confess I wasn't familiar with that one but I listened to the original and you did good. Well done.

Idunno - Seems like it's been a while since I've heard that one but I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

• Members

Really strong VOMIT this month. I liked ‘em all. Deep End’s guitar playing is always spot-on.

i always enjoy I Dunno’s country tunes too. This one was no exception. She could have left it at Dear John.

I always got put off by NY’s voice. But for the first time, I noticed the lovely lyrics to that tune Howard.

nothing from me for awhile I’m afraid.

Archived