Small mixer help.

• Members

Hello everyone!

I am looking for ideas on a small mixer for my acoustic duo, I need at least four balanced XLR inputs (two vocals, one guitar, one for my cajon), must have phantom power, and it would be great if it had some built in effects for the vocals. Please no behringer or mackie.

I use powered EV ZXA1 if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Rod

• Members

I have the Soundcraft MFXi12 compact and durable! Gigged with it for the last 6 months, about 36 gigs. I still have my Mixwizard for bigger gigs, but I like the small footprint and ease of use of the MFXi. I run it with my SRX system mixing from stage.

• Members

I have the Soundcraft MFXi12 compact and durable! Gigged with it for the last 6 months, about 36 gigs. I still have my Mixwizard for bigger gigs, but I like the small footprint and ease of use of the MFXi. I run it with my SRX system mixing from stage.

12 XLR's for a Duo?

I looked at the Yamaha Mg series and they look like a good bang for the buck.

I ended up going for the A&H Zed 12FX. The 10FX wasn't out yet (although it was expected soon) but the 12FX had a few things that I preferred. Sliders for volume instead of knobs and a mute switch for each channel. The effects are great and the build seems very solid. (Steel case as opposed to plastic with the Yamaha)

The 12FX also has 6 XLR's. The 10 FX only has 4. If a friend sits in or I go for a Trio I'm covered. I sit it on a keyboard stand with 2 very small strips of Velcro. (I need to get a pic sometime)

Both as well as the Yamaha Mg series has phantom power. (Love my Beta 87A)

• Members

WOW! This seems even better!!! Toughts between this and the Soundcraft?

Thanks again!

Rod

Which Soundcraft? The Notepad? I don't see that it has Phantom power.

Will 4 inputs be enough? You said "at least 4".

The ZED 10FX DOES have a guitar DI on 2 channels. The 12FX does NOT have this feature. I have not needed a DI for my guitar and a few others that have played through it.

• Members

Yeah the Soundcraft Notepad has phantom as well. I have a bigger board if I need to use for bigger gigs but I am looking for a small board that is just enough for my weekly bar gigs with not a lot of fuss or weight, compact but with a clean, decent sound.

The ZED unit has more resources and has that USB out...kinda leaning to this right now...

Rod

• Members

Yeah the Soundcraft Notepad has phantom as well. I have a bigger board if I need to use for bigger gigs but I am looking for a small board that is just enough for my weekly bar gigs with not a lot of fuss or weight, compact but with a clean, decent sound.

The ZED unit has more resources and has that USB out...kinda leaning to this right now...

Rod

The ZED's also have swept mids. I don't believe the Notepad does. (Although their bigger board may)

• Members

The ZED 10FX has more features, and the Notepad 124FX is more compact. Flip a coin.

I've been wanting to pick up the 124FX, primarily fue to the fact that it's so compact. I can stuff it into the accessories pocket of my AER Compact 60/2's gig-bag. I haven't taken the plunge yet, because I also have a few other mixers (MixWiz 16;2 and a Soundcraft EFX-8), and the EFX-8 has worked out very well for my acoustic-duo gigs. I like the built-in power supply, and it's quite easy to transport. I use a Gator G-Mix 15"x15" shoulder-bag.

• Members

the 10fx takes a standard kettle chord and i think the soundcraft has a wall wart... to me thats a big diff. I've got dozens of kettle chords but if the power supply goes out, its probably worth more than the board.

I think also the 10fx has xlr outs and the soundcraft only 6.5?

Personally when i have a spare few dollars i'll pick up the 10fx just as something to put in the gig bag.

• Members

I would (and will in the near future) go for the AH ZED10fx over the Soundcraft, as it has an extra pre aux send for monitors and a more complete eq. Only thing I miss on the AH are inserts on the mic channels and foot-switch for muting the fx.

• Members

I would (and will in the near future) go for the AH ZED10fx over the Soundcraft, as it has an extra pre aux send for monitors and a more complete eq. Only thing I miss on the AH are inserts on the mic channels and foot-switch for muting the fx.

I've never used "inserts". Does anyone actually use them? The 12 FX has a foot swith for muting the effects (I have a Boss footswitch) and also has mute switches for each channel (which I used extensively yesterday for a Benefit with several players)

I'm not pushing this board. It is a bit larger than all of the others in this discussion.

• Members

I've never used "inserts". Does anyone actually use them?

The traditional use for inserts is patching in effects like compression with external gear, but that's probably not used often with these little compact mixers. However, I have found inserts very useful on small mixers for things like tapping out individual channels for multitrack recording, using shorted TRS plugs that pass the signal to the mixer while also tapping the signal. I've also used inserts for a send/return to a tuner pedal, for instruments using mics instead of pickups. So, yeah... inserts can still be useful, even on small mixers. But you'll have to go up to the slightly larger sizes from A&H or Soundcraft to get inserts.

• Members

. Please no behringer or mackie.

I'm no fan of Behringer in general, but I've got a little 6 channel mixer of there's with 5 XLR inputs (MXB1002) that I've used for various purposes over the years that works great. Phantom power but no effects. Although I would imagine they have newer ones that do. 2 band EQ, monitor and FX sends. Channel inserts on the 1st two channels. Reliable and quiet. I don't know what else you're supposed to get out of a small mixer for however-much-more money the "good" brands costs.

There's not much with the Behringer name on it that I would purchase, but another small mixer? I certainly would.

• Members

My duo uses a Soundcraft EFX8 & we love it (~$400). Excellent Lexicon effects. Big improvement over the Mackie 808s we were using before.

IMO, going with the minimum number of channels necessary is a mistake. If you "need" 4, get 8 or 10.

We're just a duo, but we frequently use 6-7 channels.

Vocal1, Vocal2, acoustic1, acoustic2, electric guitar mic, bass, mp3 player for breaks.

• Members

i had a look at behringers today compared to the AH model being talked about and it wasnt all that much cheaper. Comparing a no FX behringer to the no FX Zed, the Behringer was 2/3 of the price of the Zed.

Id say that at these prices, the zed is worth one third more.

Archived