Another NGD - Tele edition...

RaVenCAD

• Members

Recently I acquired a nasty case of Tele GAS.. So, I did some trading and got myself a 2018 Player Series Tele. Plays great, very percussive sound. Gotta add some locking tuners to it, maybe swap some pickups. But overall, lots of fun.

• Members

I used to hate the Tele. It was just the cheap Les Paul. Then I got old and started appreciating them a bit then I played a few and that was that... Then I saw this one and it was the perfect twin for my USA Strat...

• Moderators

Happy New Tele Day! I find your reticence interesting, because I was the same way...I've had my Strat since January 1975, and figured that between it and my '

[a Gibson student model outfitted with 2 single coil p-ups, a 2V/2T control plate that could compete with the contemporary Tele], I had single coil tone covered in spades, so I resisted Teles for decades.

Then I got a cheap Hard Luck Kings 'Belle' copy as a beater/loaner for my jam hosting gig, and started tinkering with it...and then...I was hooked...bought a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe [made in China, but it says Fender, not Squier], which is part Strat [bridge] part Gibson [2 P90s\2V/2T/3 pos toggle]...and I am toying with the idea of building a FrankenTele with a Filtertron in the neck position. A Tele is a great, simple, basic, mod-able design; even Fender has made umpteen variants, not counting the Squier versions.

I used to hate the Tele. It was just the cheap Les Paul. Then I got old and started appreciating them a bit then I played a few and that was that... Then I saw this one and it was the perfect twin for my USA Strat...

I like the matching set - very nice! Congrats on the new guitar.

• Members

I like the matching set - very nice! Congrats on the new guitar.

Yeah I knew I wanted a Tele, but I wasn't sure what style. Then I saw this one and knew it had to be the first one. Next is one with a double-bound surf green body and a rosewood neck. Since Fender seems to be obsessed with boring, drab grey colors these days, and afraid to touch rosewood, I'll probably be putting that one together myself.

Yeah I knew I wanted a Tele, but I wasn't sure what style. Then I saw this one and knew it had to be the first one. Next is one with a double-bound surf green body and a rosewood neck. Since Fender seems to be obsessed with boring, drab grey colors these days, and afraid to touch rosewood, I'll probably be putting that one together myself.

That's basically what I did with my '62 Custom Tele reissue... it's all MIJ / CIJ, but the neck is from the mid-80s while the body is from around 2005 or so. I did that not only because I wanted a Custom, but I wanted one with the sweet mid-80s MIJ neck, but NOT with the (IMHO) less toneful basswood body. The 2005 body is alder, which I generally prefer over basswood.

I used to have an all-original mid-80s MIJ Custom Tele that I bought new when it first came out, and while I loved the neck, I hated the way it sounded - even after replacing all the electronics and the bridge. Even though this guitar literally has that exact same mid-80s bridge (with brass saddles added), and the same basic neck, I love the way it sounds... and the only real difference is the body.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=32247370&d=1528228691.jpg Views:\t3 Size:\t89.2 KB ID:\t32557840","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32557840","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=32247370&d=1528228691.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

The current USA-made American Original 60's Telecasters are double bound Customs with rosewood necks... but they're only available in Lake Placid Blue, Fiesta Red and 3-color sunburst.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electr...110140840.html

569348455_fetchid32247370ampd1528228691.jpg.75223b09266dc5540777e7aadf7ef8e7.jpg

• Members

I actually meant a rosewood neck. As in, the whole neck, unfinished rosewood. The fretboard would be ebony. That would look and feel amazing. My Carvin has a tung-oiled mahogany neck with an ebony board and I just love it.

• Members
I actually meant a rosewood neck. As in' date=' the whole neck, unfinished rosewood. The fretboard would be ebony. That would look and feel amazing. My Carvin has a tung-oiled mahogany neck with an ebony board and I just love it. [/quote']

I have used Carvin necks on several builds for that very reason (ebony board---necks were maple). My one nit to pick is that the blank headstock isn't large enough to cut the shape I'd like.

Next project is a one-piece swamp ash Strat body cut for 2 P90s---the neck I'm having made is straight-grained hard maple with an ebony board and a tilt-back large Strat headstock. Also like tung oil finish on necks.

Archived