Lighter than a Vox AC15, louder than a Fender Vibrochamp? Solid state OK

somnar

• Members

I'm playing a Gretsch 5420, looking for warm and clear. The dream is an AC15 reissue, but they're too heavy to haul around without a car. The Vibrochamp would be perfect, but it's not loud enough. So I'm looking for reasonably priced (500 and under) amp, ideally one with good tremolo and reverb (I can dream!). Any suggestions for things I should check out?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators
https://www.bluguitar.com/, https://www.quilterlabs.com/, or a used Crate powerblock and a neodymium 1x10 or 12 loaded cab ?

or

Fender SuperChamp x2 == 24 lbs

good choices! The SuperChamp is 15 watts and can be set to emulate a wide variety of amps, and actually sounds great on the 'A' chanel; drawback is the limit on inboard fx. You can pick up used Quilter Aviator heads under $400...add a cab and cleans til the cowz cum home...a Used Blues Junior would also work...or a used Vox Nighttrain 15...an Orange Tiny Terror....and a light weight 12" cab with casters...

• 2 weeks later...

One Control has a new amp that just came out. It's called the BJF-S66. it is a 30-66-100W (depending on the impedance of the speaker cab you connect it to - it will take anything from 4-16 ohms) head. It is VERY light and quite small... and Bjorn Juhl says a mid-60's Blackface type sound is what he was after when he was designing this Class D-powered solid state head...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timage002-bada6338.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t17.0 KB ID:\t32554853","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32554853","data-size":"full","title":"image002-bada6338.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

https://www.harmonycentral.com/news/...mpact-amp-head

It will be a couple of weeks until I have it finished, but I’m working on a review of it now. It is about $100 over your budget (and again, it has no speaker cabinet) but it has channel switching, tremolo AND reverb - and it's only about 10.25" W 4.5" D x 3.5" H (with the feet off and the handle in the down position) and it's probably lighter than a VibroChamp.

Without giving too much of the review away before I even write it, it’s a cool amp IMO.

image002-bada6338.jpg.17c93fc4afc2842df3e479d0b7a01408.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If weight is the issue you need to buy solid state. The transformers and chassis of a tube amp make it too heavy. Transistor amps tend to be half ads loud as Tube amps. Jamming with a live drummer you need at least 30 to 60w with an efficient speaker. If the drummer has any balls at all playing an acoustic set he'll bury most 15w solid state amps unless they are miced up.

If you're going to be humping the thing around a combo with a 10 or 12" speaker is best. You can get great deals on Peavey stuff which are pretty light weight. I used a Marshall 30W for awhile and its ideal for small gig stuff. The speaker could be better but its still pretty decent stock.

Having built in effects might be another thing to think about, or at least a decent amp modeling multi effects pedal. If the effects are built into the amp then using a pedal to switch presets saves you from having to haul around a pedal board. I have a small Marshall with built in effects that are pretty decent sounding.

If you get a small amp that simply produces clean tones well, then an amp modeling multi effects pedal might be the ticket. You can stick it in your guitar case without much added weight. I have several different types, all have their plusses and minuses. Those Small Vox stomp lab pedals can be bought for $40 and give you the choice between 30 amp types and 17 cabs. It can definitely nail an AC 15 or an AC30 amps sound reasonably well when dialed up properly.

Archived