Acoustic guitar pre amp control placement

Kenny202

• Members

Hello. I have a S Yairi guitar that has a ding in the shoulder, on the curved area nearer the neck (see photo). I want to place a Piezo preamp in the guitar which

after installing the preamp control will cover the hole. I would normally mount the control on the upper part of the guitar but only place I can put it is on the front

of the side of the body near the neck joint. I have felt around inside and no obstructions or bracing on the side wall in this area. Will it detract from the structural

integrity of the guitar if I place it per photo? I think I have seen older acoustic guitars with controls here as opposed to on top

• Members

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It should work fine. Different pre-amp / EQ's are made to fit on different parts of the guitar so make sure you buy one made to go on the top shoulder where the damage is situated. It won't effect the structural integrity of the guitar if you just cut through the side material avoiding any structural bracing, etc.

• Moderators

the drawback on that location is that you won't have a clear view of the controls, so if your pre-amp has a tuner built in, that could become a PITA. Otherwise, there should be no issue as long as the unit fits and you have enough cable to get to the out jack.

• Members

Takamine puts the preamp there:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Tak_Pre.jpg","data-attachmentid":32544200}[/ATTACH]

The controls won't be as easy to see or use in that location but it should be okay otherwise. Just make sure the curve of the preamp more-or-less matches the curve of the guitar's side. Normally I wouldn't recommend that style of preamp, what some folks call a "barn door," but with the dent in the side of your guitar that's probably the best location.

Tak_Pre.jpg.932a138cee420504398a9b91e4912b01.jpg

• Members
Hello. I have a S Yairi guitar that has a ding in the shoulder, on the curved area nearer the neck (see photo). I want to place a Piezo preamp in the guitar which

after installing the preamp control will cover the hole.

Find a preamp that has exactly the curve of your upper bout. Fit a reinforcing piece of wood inside with the grain running across the side grain - that will give your mounting screws something to bite into and will reduce the chance of splitting the side. Make a good routing template (the preamp manufacture might have on in their literature) and route that will a small bit in a laminate trimmer.

If you search for something like "installing a sound port in an acoustic guitar" you'll probably find a vid or something that will help.

Personally I like aftermarket active electronics in the sound hole but I know you want to hide the hole. I would probably do that separately.

• Moderators
Takamine puts the preamp there:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Tak_Pre.jpg","data-attachmentid":32544200}[/ATTACH]

and of all the brands of guitars I own...not one Takamine... ;)

• Members
and of all the brands of guitars I own...not one Takamine... ;)

I've never owned one either, although I was seriously considering one about ten years ago. I simply remembered where they put the preamp. ;) AFAIK, they put it there so they can use the same preamp for a dreadnought, a mini jumbo, or any other body shape because the curve of the side matches. Strictly economics.

• Members

FWIW, my guitars have different curves on the upper bout sides. Don't know about Takamines. My suggestion to the OP still stands, find a preamp that fits (no, I don't know how to do that) and put it in.

However I doubt that he was really interested, has returned to check out all this good advice.

Archived