I`m going to get one of these amps for the heck of it

redEL34

• Moderators
Then pimp it out with a greenback and some NOS tubes. $250 bucks. This guy rambles but fast forward the results speak for themselves. He edits it by unplugging the cord and plugging in the other, so look for the white cord. Damn impressive for $250, apparently fine the way it is, but pimp it out and make it a real winner!

Definitely the NOS tubes, but I'd skip the greenback - imho not the best choice for this type of amp. I'd go with a lower-wattage Creamback instead, it would get awfully ratty with a greenback in it.

• Members

I dunno about Tech 21s.... I've never enjoyed playing through any at stores, and I've always had the experience that direct boxes don't take my pedals very well.

15 watts would certainly be loud enough for any of my needs... it's just that the little tubes don't produce much bass in my experience. When I've run stereo through my EL34 Traynor and my friend's Egnator Tweaker (with 6V6s) in the space, it sounds pretty much like I'm still just playing with an EL34 amp. Compared to running in stereo with my Hot Rod Deluxe, it sounds like i've put on a filter drastically cutting everything below 400 hz.

I'll figure out my predicament.

• Members

Definitely the NOS tubes, but I'd skip the greenback - imho not the best choice for this type of amp. I'd go with a lower-wattage Creamback instead, it would get awfully ratty with a greenback in it.

I was looking at the Creamback, just never heard of them, or what they might be good in, until actually looking for a speaker.

• Members

OK, power tubes..you`re the person to sort this out. I`m(or other people) are confused about the Reflektor tubes. Some say the 6n14n-k is different than a 6p14p-k. and/or one is better than the other. Isn`t it the same tube? Just n=p?

• Members

I actually had a GC sales rep tell me to just buy, then return something years ago when I inquired about renting some PA gear I needed for a party. :freak:

I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It just felt "wrong" to me, so I called up some friends at Yamaha, and they hooked me up with a PA loaner for the party for free.

Believe it or not, sometimes there actually are advantages to being me. :philbeer::lol::0

Fortunately for the rest of us

you’re not the only one with a heart of gold.

“You will find peace of mind

if you look way down in your heart and soul.

Don’t hesitate ‘cause the world seems cold.

Stay young at heart, ‘cause you’re never old.”

~EWF

• 2 weeks later...

Archived