I`m going to get one of these amps for the heck of it

redEL34

• Members

Then pimp it out with a greenback and some NOS tubes. $250 bucks. This guy rambles but fast forward the results speak for themselves. He edits it by unplugging the cord and plugging in the other, so look for the white cord. Damn impressive for $250, apparently fine the way it is, but pimp it out and make it a real winner!

• Members

I saw this same guy's piece on the Champ clone. He took the thing apart, and it looked to be well made. I've played a couple of the First Act guitars, and they hold their own for the price, despite some kind of gaudy design.

• Members
I liked the Fender clean better' date=' and the SR crunch better.[/quote']

Fender often is known for clean sound. It's part of Leo's love of country music. I watched a video of the evolution of the Deluxe. One thing that the early Fender amps had was the tolerances were pretty loose, which accounts for difference in breakup and tone. One thing I didn't know is that Neil Young continues to search for a tweed Deluxe as a backup for his favorite amp. It's probably because the recipe was somewhat varied due to the different tolerances and sometimes completely different caps, resistors and transformers. The presenter of the video said that the first amps came about when Leo saw a lot of scrap wood that was too small for guitars in his shop.

I'll look for a link later - gotta get ready for a memorial service where I will meet with many family members I haven't seen in a long time.

• Members

The cleans were almost identical to me, but I thought the non-fender shined the crunchier/ dirtier it got. Nice little amp- does it have a headphone jack (anyone know offhand)?

• Members

The cleans were almost identical to me, but I thought the non-fender shined the crunchier/ dirtier it got. Nice little amp- does it have a headphone jack (anyone know offhand)?

I agree about the cleans sounding very close.

I think the fact that the Monoprice has the better reverb is a real key, especially for the clean channel.

Having an output jack is another key.

I wonder if I could sneak one into the house w/o wifey noticing?

• Members

I agree about the cleans sounding very close.

I think the fact that the Monoprice has the better reverb is a real key, especially for the clean channel.

Having an output jack is another key.

I wonder if I could sneak one into the house w/o wifey noticing?

“That’s an empty flight case...”

• Members
It apparently has a line out to go to a cab etc' date=' would this also function as a headphone jack and defeat the speaker for quiet playing? Sorry probably dumb/ obvious to you amp gurus... lol [/quote']

It would be a mono output and probably too powerful for a pair of headphones.

• Members
It apparently has a line out to go to a cab etc' date=' would this also function as a headphone jack and defeat the speaker for quiet playing? Sorry probably dumb/ obvious to you amp gurus... lol [/quote']

It’s line level. But a million easy ways to convert to headphone level. You prolly have something lying around your house that can do it.

You could plug phones into it, but it would probably work on only one side, and you’d barely hear it.

• Members

I`ve already ordered stuff to mod it with before even buying it(it`s Amazon 1 day anyways). I want to void the warranty in record time. Tube wise, I have a plethora of NOS 12ax7, 12ay7 and 12at7 to mess with however(Im thinking 12at7-V1 12ax7-V2 12ay7- P.I. MMMV). I have a set of NOS NIB Soviet Reflektor 6n14n-K(6p14p-K cryllic?)on the way. Anyways, they are old Soviet military tubes, the K`s are built extra stout and pretty rare apparently, but by all accounts some of the best sounding EL84`s you can get. I also have the schematic to what is highly believed to be this amps PCB board, a re-branded Laney Cub. The non-surface mount stuff I have is much better, and someone posted how to put "normal" and "bright" jacks on it. Speaker, I`m kinda on the fence about, I`ve read that with use the speaker starts to sound pretty dang good after a while, others opt for a Greenback or Vintage 30. I`m off all week so I hope I can get everything in. I can`t get really excited about the amp itself, I have to tear it apart like almost everything else:).

• Members

That`s why I`m thinking a 12at7 in V1. It has less gain then an ax7. A 12ay7 in the phase inverter seems to clean an amp up and smooth it out. Especially these OLD tubes. They don`t make them like they used to. I`ll have to experiment.

Not all line outputs defeat the speaker(s)... in fact, most do not do so.

Running a tube amp without a load is a really good way to fry it...

Dude in the video has some interesting thoughts on borrowing gear from guitar center.

I actually had a GC sales rep tell me to just buy, then return something years ago when I inquired about renting some PA gear I needed for a party. :freak:

I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It just felt "wrong" to me, so I called up some friends at Yamaha, and they hooked me up with a PA loaner for the party for free.

Believe it or not, sometimes there actually are advantages to being me. :philbeer::lol::0

• Members

Woah! That's quite a deal...

Why doesn't Monoprice make a larger 6L6 model?!?!?

I'm currently distraught because my rehearsal space buddies won't let me bring in my Hot Rod Deluxe in addition to the quarter stack I already have at the space. So I want to put my HRD into this head cabinet, which I could then store at our space and run through others' cabs. I could also bring it to shows easily with my other head, and then just use cabs at the venues.

But for rock concerts with a band, we pay for car transport. When I'm going to something else on my own and need to bring an amp, I've always just carried the 1x12 combo on the subway. How would I cart it if it becomes a head+cab? The HRD has been perfect for porting around... but I really need something with 6L6s at the space to run in stereo with my EL34 amp. 6L6s bring sooooo much low end that is lacking when playing a strat through EL34s or 84s.

I've been searching for 6L6 1x12 combos, and darnit, amps aren't cheap anymore. Sheesh. Seems like everything is over $800.

I don't know if the Monoprice EL84 amp would be smooth and dark enough for the jazzy stuff I'd use a 1x12 combo for... but this surely is intriguing. The price invites a purchase just for kicks. Then sell it if it's lame. Hmmmmmmm hmmm hmm

• Members

I'm currently distraught because my rehearsal space buddies won't let me bring in my Hot Rod Deluxe in addition to the quarter stack I already have at the space. So I want to put my HRD into this head cabinet, which I could then store at our space and run through others' cabs. I could also bring it to shows easily with my other head, and then just use cabs at the venues.

But for rock concerts with a band, we pay for car transport. When I'm going to something else on my own and need to bring an amp, I've always just carried the 1x12 combo on the subway. How would I cart it if it becomes a head+cab? The HRD has been perfect for porting around... but I really need something with 6L6s at the space to run in stereo with my EL34 amp. 6L6s bring sooooo much low end that is lacking when playing a strat through EL34s or 84s.

I've been searching for 6L6 1x12 combos, and darnit, amps aren't cheap anymore. Sheesh. Seems like everything is over $800.

I don't know if the Monoprice EL84 amp would be smooth and dark enough for the jazzy stuff I'd use a 1x12 combo for... but this surely is intriguing. The price invites a purchase just for kicks. Then sell it if it's lame. Hmmmmmmm hmmm hmm

Have you tried going direct with a tech 21 pedal?

• Members

I have not got mine yet, but by all accounts they are pretty damn loud. 15 tube watts is usually pretty damn loud. 30 is screaming..100 nevermind.

Archived