I heard a great theory last night

• Members

I had a backup singer that insisted on getting no closer than a foot from the E835 that he provided.

Any attempt to get enough gain to get him in the mix caused his monitor to feedback. When I asked him to get closer, he said that's not the problem. It was that the lead vocalist was too loud in his monitor mix and that was " bouncing of his chest" and causing feedback.

Even though I tried to bust that myth by taking the lead almost completely out of his mix and the problem persisted, he wouldn't move in on his mic. He wasn't very receptive to my suggestions of a mic with better GBF and better technique in using any mic that he is in front of either.

Other than that he's a good guy and I don't want to take my frustration out on him and share exactly what I was thinking.

Suggestions?

• Members

If the wedge hasn't been rung out then I'm with him on not wanting to get close. There should never be a case where feedback is ok, so ring it out and then try the situation out again.

Even if a monitor has been "properly rung out" and even if you had a great feedback eliminator on this channel, you can't be a foot from a mic and expect it to pick up enough to fit you in a mix.

• Members

If the wedge hasn't been rung out then I'm with him on not wanting to get close. There should never be a case where feedback is ok, so ring it out and then try the situation out again.

I think you missed the point. I believe the OP was suggesting it was rung out, but the performer wasn't giving the mic enough signal, so as the OP cranked the gain, it feedback after reaching it's GBF threshold, and the singer refused to get closer to the mic.

• Members

A while back I worked with a few BG singers that were very green. They would not get close to their mics and consequently would complain that their monitors weren't loud enough. I'm pretty good at ringing out monitors (pat on the back ensues) and had their's as hot as possible.

Everytime they complained, I would bring them over to their monitors, speak directly and forcefully in the mic and practically blow the roof off the place.

It "only" took them three or four times of me doing that, until they saw the light and started singing close to the mic.

BTW this was not a case of too much monitor causing them to back off, they were just clueless, much like the OP's BG singer sounds.

Anyway, sometimes you just have to cut bait and call it a day.

• Members

The 835 is a pretty decent mic, with a very forgiving pattern (for instrumentalists who may not be singing into the center at all times), so I can't see where the mic was the problem. I would have hit the MUTE button and advised him that he obviously didn't care to be heard, so I just helped him out a bit...

I like to keep a few inches from the mic, unless I'm singing in my lower note range in which case I'll eat the mic. I also project pretty well, so an inch or so is not a big deal....

Archived