Sign in to follow this  
Idunno

Strings

A few days ago I ordered some strings from Mapes. Three sets of phosphor bronze uncoated 0.012 to 0.054 strings for about $24.00 (shipping included). I got them in and put a set on my steel string. Very nice sound. Crazy thing is I brought them to concert pitch and after one hour needed to tweak them only a very little bit.

This company makes strings for many brands. Steinway will only use their strings. They've been making high grade music wire for over a century. In other words, Gibson, Martin and other brand strings are probably Mapes music wire, and packaged for them by Mapes. They do not divulge who they produce strings for (conflict) but their claim that "It’s VERY likely that our strings or strings made from our wire are on your guitar right now." sort of tips off the likelihood that very few brands actually make their own strings. That said, any brand (using Mapes' strings) boasting about the quality of their strings is tongue in cheek. Neither here nor there? Yea, I guess, but the marketing ploys tend to become a nuisance to my sense of fair play.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/about-our-strings/

Edited by Idunno
  • Like 1

That makes sense. I'll have to check them out!

I imagine they have exclusive deals that prevent them from selling the exact same string specs as their OEM customers, but like Cort anything they put their own name on is likely to be excellent.

That makes sense. I'll have to check them out!

I imagine they have exclusive deals that prevent them from selling the exact same string specs as their OEM customers, but like Cort anything they put their own name on is likely to be excellent.

I'm of the opposite opinion. You always hear rumours of that sort but most of the time they are not true. I learned it long ago in North Africa when I visited factories that made all sorts of products for all sorts of "famous name" brands from exactly the same raw materials and made by exactly the same workers on exactly the same machines as were being used for much cheaper supermarket-type "own brand" products.

Edited by garthman

Going with garthman's take here. The strings Mapes produces are manifold allowing them to assemble sets for private labels of varying gauges distinctions between similar gauge sets - for instance - I'll order a set of .012s but instead of the .012 & .016 strings normally found in the set for the e & b strings, I'll order .013 & .017 for those two strings to get a better volume balance. Private labels can order what they want from Mapes.

Now, I couldn't say who makes their own music wire (core & wrap) beyond D'Addario. They extrude their own core & wrap but they only supply them under their own label. Elixir's site does not clue us in how they make their strings. I would think they would if they did. I think they buy them and then outsource the application of the coating, meaning, they are simply a string company on paper and do not actually fabricate any strings. I would extend this scenario to most of the private label string sellers. This is why guitar manufacturers like SCGC can suddenly produce their own strings with no previous fanfare. They simply order from one of the three top extruders prepackaged sets, and then have them distributed to the sellers under agreements straight from the factory.

Getting back to garthman's testimony, tomato sauce is one such example. There are three mass producers of that who make recipes and package them for private labels. Same goes for steel and aluminum pressure vessels like SCUBA tanks. I worked on the assembly line equipment for a detergent producer who mixed the stuff in various formulas for the various labels. He had boxes and boxes of the actual labels and containers and set up production runs for the various private labels.

. . . Now' date=' I couldn't say who makes their own music wire (core & wrap) beyond D'Addario. They extrude their own core & wrap but they only supply them under their own label. Elixir's site does not clue us in how they make their strings. I would think they would if they did. I think they buy them and then outsource the application of the coating, meaning, they are simply a string company on paper and do not actually fabricate any strings. I would extend this scenario to most of the private label string sellers. This is why guitar manufacturers like SCGC can suddenly [i']produce[/i] their own strings with no previous fanfare. They simply order from one of the three top extruders prepackaged sets, and then have them distributed to the sellers under agreements straight from the factory.

Getting back to garthman's testimony, tomato sauce is one such example. There are three mass producers of that who make recipes and package them for private labels. Same goes for steel and aluminum pressure vessels like SCUBA tanks. I worked on the assembly line equipment for a detergent producer who mixed the stuff in various formulas for the various labels. He had boxes and boxes of the actual labels and containers and set up production runs for the various private labels.

IIRC, GHS also draws their own wire but I could be mistaken. Again, it makes me wonder where Ernie Ball gets the wire for their Aluminum Bronze strings? Along the same lines, there are about eight companies in North America that actually make tires but there are hundreds of brands.

Regarding Elixirs: I agree they probably get someone else to make the strings but I'd bet they put the coating on themselves. They are owned by Gore (as in Goretex, pretty cool invention). I am of the view they are more than just a "string company on paper". Of all the coated strings brands, they are the ONLY ones that last in the hot, humid & salty climate of living at a beach in Thailand. Whatever they do, it works.

They are the ones I put on my Tacoma jumbo, as it is my fave, last a few months. For others in rotation, I use uncoated strings & they last about 3 weeks tops, played or not. Rust n' pop

Edited by Emory
added more jibberish

Strings. You definitely need them. Mapes. Excellent name. Sounds like an Inspector on a British PBS series, love those. Mom loved Murder She Wrote In her later years, and I suppose that goes along with getting older, eh?

sorry...carry on...

Edited by Neal

Neal, good redirect. But, I haven't watched the "tele" since Are You Being Served left the airwaves. My Mom kept that in her rotation of shows along with the whodunnits. Angela Lansbury played the Murder She Wrote role well but the woman, like Bea Arthur, kind of repulsed me. Maybe if they'd have let their mustaches grow...nah.

Angela. She certainly held the attention of the (at the time) older folks. At 30 I didn’t understand, at 60+, I ...flirt with understanding.

Strings though, yeah. I take mine fluorocarbon lately.

Regarding Elixirs: I agree they probably get someone else to make the strings but I'd bet they put the coating on themselves. They are owned by Gore (as in Goretex, pretty cool invention). I am of the view they are more than just a "string company on paper". Of all the coated strings brands, they are the ONLY ones that last in the hot, humid & salty climate of living at a beach in Thailand. Whatever they do, it works.

They are the ones I put on my Tacoma jumbo, as it is my fave, last a few months. For others in rotation, I use uncoated strings & they last about 3 weeks tops, played or not. Rust n' pop

I use the old polywebs for electric and the only complaint I have is the plains de intonate in the first day while the wounds will go on for months. The electric sets need to come with several spare sets of plains gratis. Other than that I use bulk strings top to bottom which go on piecemeal as replacements or as soon the coated wounds go dead.

Martin makes their own strings. I've seen it at their factory and also now in Mexico. Who they buy the bare core wire from, I dunno. (LOL) Winding the strings is the important part, just like you can buy wood for a guitar but what you do with it is the important part.