Sign in to follow this  
pdiddy

Cross-fade Split Possible?

Wondering if any keys/synth allow a split where each sound fades out from the split point instead of a hard cutoff?

What i'm trying to accomplish is two sounds equal proportion in the middle, mostly one sound on the lower end and mostly the other on top.Tomorrow I think I might try layering a couple sounds and putting a hi pass on one and a low pass on the other and see what happens...

If I am understanding your question correctly, you want the sounds to get softer / quieter the further away from the split point you get?

I’m not aware of any synth that can do that... nor can I think of why that would be useful... :idk:

Posted (edited)

I was thinking about making a sound for Bonnie Rait's I Can't Make You Love Me. I think a layering of electric and acoustic piano would sound great in the middle but I want the upper fills to be more acoustic and the lower end to be more electric AND I don't want any hard cutoff points where the sound drastically changes.

Edited by pdiddy
  • Like 1

It depends on how many midi zones you have. For example you could create up to 16 independent zones on a Kurzweil Forte. You could set 8 split points each of the 8 resulting splits have 2 zones and you can adjust the levels of each of the 2 layers independently. This would create the effect you want.

Nord Stage does crossfades on splits. It can be useful, mostly in case of ‘accidental’ playing across the split, to avoid unpleasant live surprises.

• Like 1