EV SX300 vs RCF ART312A

• Members

Yes, one's powered and one is passive, but they're not quite apples and oranges. Both are lightweight plastic 12" boxes representing a cut above the Yamaha Club league. Both are currently available for between $450 and $500 a unit if you shop around a little.

If the quality of the speaker is a draw, the RCF would seem to be a no-brainer, as you would essentially be getting the amps for "free". That's my question though - is the EV definitely a cut above, assuming you power it appropriately, or is this really a no-brainer if you have a budget of $1,000 for a couple of new cabinets, even if if you already have an amp ?

• Members

I don't know the answer to this and am anxious to hear the replies you get.

I have a pair of SxA360's (powered version of the 300) and think they sound great. However, this summer I went to a wedding that had a DJ. I can't tell you how impressed I was with the sound of this rig. DJ's don't normally do much for me. They had an RCF rig that was LOUD and yet clear and pleasant sounding. The pleasantness and smoothness had me right myself a note to look these speakers up. I don't remember the model but I know that are not the model you are inquiring about. (On 4 subs too) I did some research and RCF seems to have a LOT of fans. I don't remember what the ART 312A's "were" selling for but it seems like this low price in a no-brainer.

Of course it's always best to go out and listen to speakers.

Archived