Sign in to follow this  
Yakburger

OT: New tractor day tomorrow

My old(ish) Massey Ferguson is going to be traded for either a John Deere or a Kubota. Something in the 25 to 26 HP range.
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Picts or it’s a Briggs and Stratton.....

Edited by jorhay1
  • Like 3

Lol.. well it’s gonna be a while but I’ll post pics just for you. And anyone else who’s interested.

• Like 4

Some in my family have Kubota and Ewald, they like them.

What do you do with a tractor like that? Well before Ford was building the first affordable V8, they also came out with the first tractor that incorporated the engine block as part of the frame. This allowed for lower center of gravity and lower cost. I was kind of looking for a small tractor like that to grade my gravel drive that goes back to our walk out basement. Instead, I have ordered a "power grader" from DR that can be pulled by an ATV or garden tractor.

There was a charity that bought old Ford tractors and rehabbed them before sending them to Africa for hungry people to use to grow their own food. The machines are so simple that many people without much mechanical experience can maintain them. It was one of those "teach a man to fish" ideas. I don't know if the organization still exists, but he price of those old Fordsons and Jubilees have increased dramatically, so the idea that they could be refurbished on the cheap is probably over.

Happy (Pending) New Tractor Day. :thu: Pics when it arrives.

I say hold out for the Hoyt-Clagwell. It's the best tractor for picking up hot babes.

0057a-6a0105355ab3fc970b015435e6b842970c-pi.jpg

snapshot20090618071149.3273.jpg

• Like 1

Been helping a guy fix up an old Ford 9N. Like this one.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.my9n.com%2Fimages%2Fleftrear2new.jpg&sp=c4141adf183b04dc6b960878b8af833a.jpg","data-attachmentid":32536829}[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

Kubotas are rock solid. But be wary of the soot regeneration engines (an emissions thing). Most people don't like them. I think by now though they may be better - look into it.

If you get an older one be sure it has independent PTO, so that would mean it shouldn't be too old.

HAHAHA!

My old(ish) Massey Ferguson is going to be traded for either a John Deere or a Kubota. Something in the 25 to 26 HP range.

I`ve operated for years. The Kubota is going to be cheaper, but you`re not going to find anything as smooth as a Deere.

Kubotas are rock solid. But be wary of the soot regeneration engines (an emissions thing). Most people don't like them. I think by now though they may be better - look into it.

If you get an older one be sure it has independent PTO, so that would mean it shouldn't be too old.

Well, I bought a new Kubota that falls just under the requirements for problematic emissions standards. The people at the J. Deere dealer were so rude that I walked out. This tractora step up from the one I own that is getting pretty old but also struggles a little towing my 4000 lb travel trailer around my parking area and in and out of it's carport.

• Like 1

Well, I bought a new Kubota that falls just under the requirements for problematic emissions standards. The people at the J. Deere dealer were so rude that I walked out. This tractora step up from the one I own that is getting pretty old but also struggles a little towing my 4000 lb travel trailer around my parking area and in and out of it's carport.

Sounds like you need the whole Kit and Kubota.

:badump:

Posted (edited)

I`ve operated for years. The Kubota is going to be cheaper, but you`re not going to find anything as smooth as a Deere.

I operated both for years. Kubotas are better, IMO. I'd never buy a JD over a Kubota. There are other companies in Asia now that make good machines too. Tractor production has shifted to Asia, to a large degree.

I do have a ride on JD mower though. Mowing my lawn is my new job. Going broke fast.:lol:

No complaints about the mower. I expect it to break at some point but it's been solid so far.

Edited by Hoot Owl

A couple of tractor photos:

Isn't it cute?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"f828a8e53ad2fdbdebd2f8062db83b50 (1) (2017_05_06 19_19_08 UTC).jpg","data-attachmentid":32537164}[/ATTACH]

I almost bought one of these last year - fully restored. Glad I didn't though.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"9d1728ab228c277c45df7c1ac294559d (2017_05_04 14_46_51 UTC).jpg","data-attachmentid":32537165}[/ATTACH]

Big tires:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"mustang_pic_4x (2016_11_24 15_23_03 UTC).jpg","data-attachmentid":32537171}[/ATTACH]

Well, here it is. No Briggs and Stratton here. Just 26 HP of diesel power ready to mow 3 acres, level driveways, haul logs and firewood, etc.

b2601.JPG.718c21fe901a0201ec579d7531342862.JPG

• Like 1

Well, here it is. No Briggs and Stratton here. Just 26 HP of diesel power ready to mow 3 acres, level driveways, haul logs and firewood, etc.

Congrats on the new tractor. Is that a BX, B, or L? I can't tell from the pic. If it's a BX, make sure you do the transmission fan shroud upgrade. The fan is exposed underneath and gets whacked off in short order, by striking things as you ride along. There is a shroud that dealers put on to protect the fan from something striking it. My local Kubota dealer was installing it on his tractors free of charge.

I looked at all the major brands about 7 years ago and ended up with a MF GC2410 TLB. It's light duty, but suitable for my needs. It's along the same lines as a BX.

[video=youtube;bPZ3BHlIfnU]

Congrats on the new tractor. Is that a BX, B, or L? I can't tell from the pic. If it's a BX, make sure you do the transmission fan shroud upgrade. The fan is exposed underneath and gets whacked off in short order, by striking things as you ride along. There is a shroud that dealers put on to protect the fan from something striking it. My local Kubota dealer was installing it on his tractors free of charge.

I looked at all the major brands about 7 years ago and ended up with a MF GC2410 TLB. It's light duty, but suitable for my needs. It's along the same lines as a BX.

[video=youtube;bPZ3BHlIfnU]

It's a step up from the BX series. It's a B2601. I also looked at the L2501 but it was a little more tractor than I needed. I'll look at the fan shroud to see if it's necessary on the B series tractors. They also added liquid to the rear tires for a little more weight.

I traded a MF GC2300 in on the Kubota that I bought new 14 or 15 years ago. It sat out all year long in that time and things were starting to get "old" on it. One hydraulic line went out and the power steering had a nasty leak from wrecking the seal from grabbong the steering wheel to pull myself onto the machine.

It's a step up from the BX series. It's a B2601. I also looked at the L2501 but it was a little more tractor than I needed. I'll look at the fan shroud to see if it's necessary on the B series tractors. They also added liquid to the rear tires for a little more weight.

I traded a MF GC2300 in on the Kubota that I bought new 14 or 15 years ago. It sat out all year long in that time and things were starting to get "old" on it. One hydraulic line went out and the power steering had a nasty leak from wrecking the seal from grabbong the steering wheel to pull myself onto the machine.

The Bs are rock solid machines. You should have that for many years without any problems. I don't think the Bs have the fan issue needing a shroud, but double check on that underneath.

Before deciding on the MF, I tried Kubota and New Holland. It was a really tough decision, as they are all really good machines. There were some minor differences that swayed me.

I never considered JD as, over the years, the quality issues have been piling up and there have been a lot of warranty issues, particularly getting them addressed. My experience with JD was with a lawn tractor, and it wasn't their cheapo line sold in Lowes and HD. I bought the tractor with a grass catching system that was not designed to fit the machine at all. I went to two different dealers trying to get it addressed and they just scratched their heads as to the why the grass system for that tractor was not even remotely mountable. In the end, I returned the tractor and everything with it for a full refund. They weren't happy, but they needed to get their stuff together before selling something to the public that wasn't designed to work. My GF had an OEM JD lawn tractor that went through a series of faulty transmissions. I think she threw in the towel after the 3rd transmission.

Posted (edited)

The Bs are rock solid machines. You should have that for many years without any problems. I don't think the Bs have the fan issue needing a shroud, but double check on that underneath.

Before deciding on the MF, I tried Kubota and New Holland. It was a really tough decision, as they are all really good machines. There were some minor differences that swayed me.

I never considered JD as, over the years, the quality issues have been piling up and there have been a lot of warranty issues, particularly getting them addressed. My experience with JD was with a lawn tractor, and it wasn't their cheapo line sold in Lowes and HD. I bought the tractor with a grass catching system that was not designed to fit the machine at all. I went to two different dealers trying to get it addressed and they just scratched their heads as to the why the grass system for that tractor was not even remotely mountable. In the end, I returned the tractor and everything with it for a full refund. They weren't happy, but they needed to get their stuff together before selling something to the public that wasn't designed to work. My GF had an OEM JD lawn tractor that went through a series of faulty transmissions. I think she threw in the towel after the 3rd transmission.

I have a JD X300 lawn tractor that’s I bought new a few years ago. The plastic hood is a pos. It cracked down the middle then branched off in different directions. I used Simpson plates and pop rivets to try to hold it together but it looks like Frankenstein. The seat developed rips in the plastic that just got worse. I bought a new seat but a year later it’s developing rips the same way. The carburetor has to be removed and cleaned every spring or it runs like crap.And this wasn’t a cheap HD one either. I looked at JD and NH but Kubota won out.

Edited by Yakburger

Nice.