Is anyone else here a member of r/singing as well?

Is anyone else here a member of r/singing as well?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Is anyone else here a member of r/singing as well?

• Members

Hey everyone! Just joined this forum and wanted to make sure I'm adding value to the community as much as possible. I'm a regular user of /singing on reddit and help coach singers there for free.

Quick question: Who uses /singing as well, and for someone who's new what would be the main difference for you between this forum and /singing?

Purely for curiosity!

• Moderators

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I do read reddit from time to time. I think I may have posted in /singing a couple of times.

I think the main difference between this forum and /singing is that reddit has a very wide user base that span many topics and categories. So having a reddit account allows you to participate in various categories. It's almost like a large collection of forums in a way. On the other hand this forum's main focus is music primarily and has been around for a longer time than reddit. I think Harmony Central was one of the first music forums on the internet, which I believe started around early 2000s.

• Members

Well the main difference is on how content is sorted, forums keep the *newer* stuff around while reddit is based on the community opinion. Both have their good and their downside.

Forums can be pretty bad in the sense that if a particular user, or group of users, just keep spamming irrelevant content other more interesting subjects can get lost.

Reddit can be pretty bad in the sense that if a particular post does not meet the aesthetics the hive mind favors, it will get buried away. In a sense it's almost always about the how, than the what, you write.

In the particular case of r/singing there is also a bias to the more scholar/academic technique as you find in universities in the USA. Whether it's good or bad I will leave it for you to decide ;)

Archived