Lemme make this easier.... 4x10 vs. 1x12 20w Combo

ksl

• Members

I've always liked the punch of 4x10"s, Jensen P10R's, but don't want to lose too much of that sweet low end & overall beauty that the G12H30-55 is famous for!!??? Truly different animals?

Thanks~

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

the 10" punch is why I keep** my '65 Vibrolux Reverb* for large stage gigs. It just has that ability to be heard no matter what. I find, though that that same punch works against me in clubs, and depending on shape, some hotel ballrooms. I thought that going with a 10w 1x10 [Epi Galaxie] or15W 1x10 [superChampXD] would work better, but it didn't. There is some magic with 2 or more 10" speakers...but IMHO, 2 is plenty; for several years in the mid 80s/early 90s I drove a Fender 6x10 cabinet with that amp for large stage work. I would rather mic an amp than haul that kind of weight, but I'm an old man now, and I will be hauling 2 1X12 amps to my gig tonight...not sure which ones yet...decisions, decisions...BJs, Vox, BlackStar, Quilshall [Quilter Aviator head, modified Marshall*** cab

*the 2 10" speakers I have in there now came from a '66 Super Reverb that the owner was converting to a 1x15...six months later I ran into him and he told me he regretted making the conversion.

**I have been offered above prevailing price several times over the years, including by Dick Dale when I briefly worked with him in the late 80s. I bought that amp, used, in 1972 for $241+tax, and it was my main amp up until I got a Marshall SL100/1960A half stack in 1977, which I unloaded in 1980 and went back to the Vibrolux until 1997 when I got a 1x12 Marshall V65R***.

Archived