Recommendations on speakers and knowhow

• Members

Hi all,

I just bought an old 200 watt mono, 6 channel, powered mixer. It has 2, 1/4" output sockets on the back styled 'speaker' and 'external speaker'. It is rated to take 8ohm speaker/s, at least it says 8Ohms. Could someone tell me what kind of impedance should the speakers have if I were to run 2 speakers? A couple of questions here. Should these 2 speakers be 100 watt each and should I run them as a daisy chain sort of thing or do I plug them into the two different sockets? Does the impedance factor change if I were to conect them 1) daisy chain style 2) directly into the 2 sockets.

As a side bar, can anyone tell me if powered (active) speakers can be used in passive mode? Is there some sort of switch to bypass the whole "active" shindig?

Any help in this regard will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Members

If it really has a minimum impedance of 8 ohms, you'd want two 16 ohm speakers, which will be next to impossible to find. If you got two speakers, yes, each would want to be able to handle 100 watts or more.

You can use powered speakers if it has line outputs (as opposed to speaker outputs).

More than likely though, you just wasted your money. What kind of mixer is it?

• Members

Its a 70s Garnet tripper mixer console. Its Tube driven. Is there a way I can upload a picture onto this thing?

You can attach an image to your post, or upload to photobucket or similar, and use image tags to include it in your post, or even just post the link to the image on photobucket.

• Members

To attach, click either "Post Reply" or "Go advanced" in the Quick Reply field, then click "Attach".

To embed, upload to an imagehost, then surround the link to the image with the image tags that pop up when you click the little picture of a mountain.

Tube drive doesn't sound promising.

• Members

Ha ha! No convincing answer there GCDEF, I love tube amps and older the better. I have never owned a powered mixer type thing, only Bass and Guitar amps. Thought this would be nice to have as a vocal and micing backup is all.

thanks for all the help and patience by the way.

• Members

Ha ha! No convincing answer there GCDEF, I love tube amps and older the better. I have never owned a powered mixer type thing, only Bass and Guitar amps. Thought this would be nice to have as a vocal and micing backup is all.

thanks for all the help and patience by the way.

Not very practical, but with a good, efficient 8 ohm cabinet, it would work for rehearsals, I would think.

• Members

If that is indeed a tube amp, I would have a hard time believing it's 200 watts. It would have to have a serious power section that wouldn't fit in that little area.

Look at the tubes and output tranny on something like on something like an SVT

• Members

Tube amps need to have a predictable load on them, usually it's a switch on the back that says 16, 8 , 4 ohms and you select the overall impeadance. Generally speaking powered heads are designed to drive 2 8 ohm cabs in parallel (4 ohm nominal impeadance) in either mono or stereo, mono in your case. If this is the case then expect to get a speaker with a rating of 100w or higher RMS and 8 ohm impeadance. That's vague, there are many many many options to choose from.

But the reason tube amps aren't used besides from heavy, heat producing, low power output, unreliable, etc. Tubes don't amplify in a linear fashion when driven beyond thier means. Great for guitar or bass, but it basically compresses the peaks down and causes the sound to get muddy quickly. And then there is everything else.

• Members

Thank you one and all for your advice and input.

I will write something after I rig this up and have a go at it. I agree it damn small for a tube amp producing 200w. Though I have yet to come across this self same model online, there are a couple of Garnets out there that are small, producing 150w. I will know soon enough. At most I will use this (if it holds up that is) to power vocals or Mic a guitar and run one speaker, for a small venue type gig. We mostly play a lot of local parties and small bars, mostly for booze and tips. Anyways, I will keep you all posted and once again, Thank you!

• Members

200 watts??? Good grief no way. IIRC, it's 50 or 60 watts and a poor example of what the state of technology was at the time. It may also be hybrid solid state front end. Some were designed that way, and some used germanium transistors too.

Also, IIRC, there's a jumper that is changed from 8 ohm to 4 ohm on the back terminal strip which sets the total load that the speaker jacks want to see. Set it to 4 ohm and you can use with 2 x 8 ohm speakers.

• Members

Hi all,

As a side bar, can anyone tell me if powered (active) speakers can be used in passive mode? Is there some sort of switch to bypass the whole "active" shindig?

There are a very few active speakers and subs that CAN accept a speaker level input IF you switch them to that mode.

The Yorkville E160P can accept speaker level, the Yorkville ES200P, Ls200P.... and some of the other Yorkville subs can accept speaker level providing you switch them to that mode.

If your active speaker does not accept speaker levels then DON"T try making it. Bad things could happen:eek:

I used to use a Traynor PA tube amp in the early 70's but I sure wouldn't use it today. Garnet is a bit of a collectors item (probably not worth money though). Keep the amp alongside your original 1969 curly cord - and then go get a real mixer!

Okay... alright, fire it up first, see if it works and then retire it - out of respect:)

Archived