Cheap bass guitars

• Members

I sincerely apologize for any grief my post has caused you.  I should have said your Rolls Royce and your fancy potato farm.   

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I toured with a guitar player who played a Squier Strat and a First Act acoustic. Neither was a great guitar, but they got the job done for him.

More cheapos, and not just basses. https://www.glarrymusic.com/

I'm thinking about buying a cheapo and tuning it BEAD.

Posted Images

• Moderators
3 hours ago, lug said:

I sincerely apologize for any grief my post has caused you.  I should have said your Rolls Royce and your fancy potato farm.   

Thanks. I'm over it, anyway. Besides, there's a lot of interesting history between the Irish and the Scots.

• Moderators

Back to the GJazz.

Someone on talkbass posted that the problem with the low output wasn't the pickups, but the strings, so I did an experiment. I took off the E and A strings and replaced them with some old d'Addarios. The difference is considerable. The output of the Glarry strings is much, much lower. Unfortunately, because of the shape of the headstock, my old G string won't fit. Won't reach the tuner. So, it looks as though I'm going to have to go buy some actual new strings for it!

• Moderators

Put D'Addario strings on the GJazz. Much louder, sounds much better. Played it at band practice today, and bandmates agreed: better with the new strings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Messed with the GJazz this morning. Took the stock pickups out and put the Bartolinis in. No mods necessary to the body; even the screw holes lined up. However, the pick guard doesn't quite fit anymore. Getting too hot in my workspace, so I took a break and had lunch.

While I had the pickups out, I took the opportunity to measure the DC resistance.
Glarry pickups: neck, 5.75K ohms bridge, 6.79K ohms
Bartolini 9W4s: neck, 5.57K ohms bridge, 7.08K ohms

Resistances are pretty similar, but I don't know about other factors. I'm pretty sure that the Glarrys (Glarries?) are long single coils. The Barts, I think, are four individual single coils, but I'm not sure about that. I also don't know about magnet strength. Until I plug the bass in, I won't know about output, and I may not have a good idea until I take it to a band practice.

So now, I have to do a bit of filing and sanding to get the pickguard to fit. No worries there, it's just plastic. I haven't installed the Bart preamp yet. Should be interesting to hear how it sounds just by changing the pickups.

• Moderators

Sounds nice. I'm not getting a huge difference in the sound, but it is, after all, the same bass, with pickups in the same locations. Too bad there's no way to switch back and forth between new pickups and old. Also would be nice to play it in a band context. Might could do that on Saturday. If I do, I'd better bring another bass, just in case.

• Moderators

Played the GJazz with the Bartolini pickups at a gig this evening, and I was quite impressed. Really got the job done. I raised the bridge pickup before the gig, and I think it made a big difference. It was too low, sounded weak, and dragged the rest of the sound down. After raising it, it sounded much better.

Tuesday, I'll play it at a band practice, where I've played it before, which will give me a basis for comparison.

• Moderators

I went to install the preamp into the GJazz. Got all of the electrical work done and the parts affixed to the plate, only to discover that there is not sufficient space in the cavity for everything, including the battery.

I'll figure something out, but I had to play a different bass last night.