isaac42

Cheap bass guitars

Vertical integration, desperate people, and no regard for the environment or safety are the secrets to getting a bass for less than it costs to make a set of pickups in "western" nations. 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, guitarville said:

I got this one for about 60 usd and the amp for 25 usd.  Nothing wrong with it. Plays real nice and the amp, well, its solid.

468455367_bassampwguitar.thumb.JPG.ace5efea8bd449543726ba3e3487a549.JPG

the two coil cords are worth more than the bass or the amp...:wave:

19 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Vertical integration, desperate people, and no regard for the environment or safety are the secrets to getting a bass for less than it costs to make a set of pickups in "western" nations. 

All true. On the other hand, it can also be a great boon to the people who make them.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-12/22/c_136846101.htm

Prices appear to have settled at about $55 on the low end. That includes shipping, a cord, and two hex wrenches.

Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on a Glarry GJazz bass. Less than $80 shipped, with insurance.

Why? Well, why not? At that price, I can use it for firewood, if that's all it's good for. But, as a bandmate pointed out, I don't have a Jazz-style bass. Closest I have is a Carvin LB75. And another bandmate gave me an old set of Bartolini Jazz pickups, complete with preamp. Need a J bass to put those into!

What its ultimate fate will be remains to be seen. Might make it a BEAD, might make it a fretless, maybe both! But it's a cheap platform for experimentation. One guy is putting three (3!) pairs of Jazz pickups into his! Why not, if you have them laying around? I don't, though, so don't expect that from me!

21 hours ago, Secret Scion said:

But what will you do if someone steals it at a gig?!  :D

My dad had a friend that was a really good guitar player and had some great guitars, but he would gig with these cheapo Asian ones because if a drunk wrecked it or someone stole it, so what.

I toured with a guitar player who played a Squier Strat and a First Act acoustic. Neither was a great guitar, but they got the job done for him.

• Like 2

On a side note. I had a buddy that went to Nashville, and he just tossed his Martin D28 in the cargo bay.

I think he put some duct tape around the thing for extra security. I don't think you can lock the guitar cases either. Security opens the case or at least they did to his. They put a nice letter inside letting you know you case has been open and examined.

I must say those plastic Martin guitar cases are really nice for travel. My new 00028 just came in one. They look like this.

j3p69auqojur7bhek6km.jpg

I used to have a American made P Bass, but I sold it after buying the Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass. It has a smaller body than the standard Jazz with active pups ( sounds amazing) Mine in is a See though  blonde Ash. I also have a Standard American Jazz and the Kala U bass was a gift from a buddy of mine.

Just take out what you have and or need, to get a job done. Playing bars isn't a show and tell, but play something that makes you happy.

Got the new bass yesterday. $78.18, including a gig bag, strap, cord, pick, and two hex wrenches, one for the bridge and one for the truss rod.

You'd never mistake it for a high quality instrument, but everything seems functional. I have yet to plug it in.

GJazzSmall.jpg

Plugged it in last night. Everything seems to work. Sounds like a Jazz. The strings feel rough. I expect they'll smooth out with use. The intonation seems pretty much spot on, at least to my ear. The action is neither particularly high nor low. Fair amount of fret buzz. I'll have to check that out. This should be a good vehicle for learning about such things as, if I screw something up, I won't be out much.

3 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Congratulations. Happy New Bass Day. :thu:

Thanks!

If anyone is interested, Glarry is offering an 8% discount. 

Sure, right after I buy mine! I got only a 6% discount. I could have saved another, um, $1.60!

Took my GJazz to band practice today. First time I've played it in a band context. No mods, in fact, no changes other than tuning it.

With the perpetual caveat of "for the price," let me say that I am absolutely amazed at the quality of this bass!
The intonation is, if not quite spot on, adequate. Not once did it sound out of tune. How did it sound? Well, it sounded like a bass guitar! When I moved across the room, I got a better idea of its sound, and it wasn't bad at all. Basically, it sounds like a Jazz bass.

I mentioned before that the magnetic polarity was reversed between the pickups, and they worked as Jazz pickups should, properly bucking the hum in the room.

I mentioned fret buzz before. It was not an issue with the band. Guitarist opined that the truss rod should be loosened a bit. That might fix the problem.

Others have mentioned the bridge, and it's a problem, though not enough to matter. String spacing is not precise, but it wasn't a problem while playing. All around, I have no complaints. I wish I'd had access to such an affordable, functionable bass when I was getting started!

I bought the Glarry P bass last August, and I have not had to do much of anything to it. It was good right out of the box, aside from part of the pickup coming loose from the housing. I put some 1 inch thick foam under it to hold it in place and she's been solid ever since. I don't play it every day, but it's exceeded my expectations for almost a year, not bad for $74 shipped.

Glad you're having good luck with yours!

I'll be taking mine to practice with a different band today.

Loosened the truss rod a little, trying to give it some relief. Fret buzz seems reduced. Might play with the intonation a bit later.

19 hours ago, nice keetee said:

CNC has vastly improved inexpensive instruments.

No doubt.

Adjusted the intonation. It's now within a few cents all the way up the neck. I can't hear any out-of-tuneness anywhere. Lots less fret buzz now. It's quite playable. Doesn't sound bad at all. Output is on the low side; I had to turn up my amp. Seems to be lacking a bit on the low end. That may argue against using it as a BEAD bass.

What it comes down to is that someone just getting started can get a serviceable instrument for less than $80. Couldn't come close to that when I was getting started, and $80 bought a lot more back then. I imagine that this is equally true of the cheap guitars.

A college friend bought a beat-to-hell Hagstrom back in summer of '74 and paid $150 for it. A cheap bass back then meant Teisco. Things are definitely better now.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, DeepEnd said:

A college friend bought a beat-to-hell Hagstrom back in summer of '74 and paid $150 for it. A cheap bass back then meant Teisco. Things are definitely better now.

I kinda wish I'd thought to pick up a Mosrite bass back when they were dirt cheap. That ship has sailed, now.

Possible performance coming up for one of my bands, so I left the Glarry GJazz at home yesterday, and took my Ric 4003AC to practice. World of difference, compared to the GJazz. Better in every way. Even one of the guitarists commented that it sounded much better then the Glarry. But the Glarry still sounds great FOR THE PRICE. But the price is low, and so are the expectations, so it's pretty easy to exceed them.

Still, the question remains: what will the Glarry sound like with the Bartolini pickup set installed?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Just bought two fretless basses. A Fender Jazz fretless (used) and a brand new Harley Benton Jazz fretless. Two very different basses, and both very nice.

The Harley Benton is 144 British pounds, and after a small setup it plays great.
Harley Benton is the “House brand” of Thomann Music store

6 hours ago, isteen said:

Just bought two fretless basses. A Fender Jazz fretless (used) and a brand new Harley Benton Jazz fretless. Two very different basses, and both very nice.

The Harley Benton is 144 British pounds, and after a small setup it plays great.
Harley Benton is the “House brand” of Thomann Music store

I've heard of those. Good reputation for being decent quality, inexpensive instruments. 

On 3/9/2020 at 12:53 AM, daddymack said:

the two coil cords are worth more than the bass or the amp...:wave:

Those are Vox coil cords and yes, they are expensive. I think they cost me about 3400 yen each.  ( about 36 bucks each )  and they are heavy also.

Took my $100 Ibanez GSR200 to band practice yesterday.

Can someone explain to me why I spend over $1000 for a bass?

I assume to complement your Rolls Royce and your fancy argyle socks. 

21 hours ago, lug said:

I assume to complement your Rolls Royce and your fancy argyle socks. 

I have no argyle socks. I'm Irish, not a cursed Scot!