Gig report with new mic.

• Members

Saturday night our local mens acappella held its' annual show and had two barber shop quartets as special guests. The first quartet is rated number one in the eastern U.S. division and the second is rated in the top fifty of the world.

These were amazing acts plain and simple. I used a new mic that I bought specifically for this show, an Audio Technica AT2035 side address cardioid studio condenser.

Standing in a very shallow arc between three and four feet from the mic, the pick up was impressive. Both acts complemented me after the show.

• Members

How did you mount the mic? the web site shows an optional shock mount.

Always good to hear about gear that does well without being super duper expensive (a quick Google Search puts this mic in the sub $150 range!).

Oddly, and totally unrelated, I picked up a cheapo AT mic at a yard sale for practically nothing (I paid $10, mostly for the boom stand and the attached XLR cable and assumed the mic was sh-t) and the darn thing actually sounds ok enough to use on gigs! Put it on a keyboard players 30W amp for a jazz gig and everyone was plenty happy.

• Members

Saturday night our local mens acappella held its' annual show and had two barber shop quartets as special guests. The first quartet is rated number one in the eastern U.S. division and the second is rated in the top fifty of the world.

These were amazing acts plain and simple. I used a new mic that I bought specifically for this show, an Audio Technica AT2035 side address cardioid studio condenser.

Standing in a very shallow arc between three and four feet from the mic, the pick up was impressive. Both acts complemented me after the show.

Your the second person that really likes the mic. Another guy here locally has a few and has offered to let me borrow them if needed. I might take him up on the offer...

• Members

What was the monitor situation? Were there any, and how hot were they if so?

I have an AT4050 but I don't like to take it out of the house. I've been thinking of a lower priced LD mic for certain applications, so I'm grateful for the report.

• Members

I had a pair of KV2 EX10's at the downstage lip about 10' apart aimed parallel upstage. The AT2035 was centered between them on a boom stand. The back up acappella choir was on risers about 10' behind the quartet and could hear the monitors fine.

• Members

Thanks for the info.

My AT4050 is around $800.00 in my parts but the AT2035 is around $180.00. I'd feel much better taking that out of the house. Live tends to be a tad more forgiving, unless you're recording a live show of course.

I also see that the AT2020 is even cheaper, might try and do an A/B if I can find them both in stock.

• Members

there are tons of less expensive condenser mics out there aimed at the home studio market and I think that I would rather have Audio Technica over any of them in the sub 250 range.

AT used to make a 3035, which i have, but the whole "30 series" got phased out a couple of years ago and the 2035 was introduced. From what i remember at the time the 2035 is the same mic as the old 3035 just with a black finish instead of the silver of the 30 series.

• Members

there are tons of less expensive condenser mics out there aimed at the home studio market and I think that I would rather have Audio Technica over any of them in the sub 250 range.

AT used to make a 3035, which i have, but the whole "30 series" got phased out a couple of years ago and the 2035 was introduced. From what i remember at the time the 2035 is the same mic as the old 3035 just with a black finish instead of the silver of the 30 series.

Is there any way to confirm that ?. The 3035 is a Bluegrass favorite and they can be hard to find at times.

TW

• Members

i don't know about official confirmation but i was pretty active on a lot of home recording forums at the time and that was the general consensus. It was pretty much overnight that the 30 series disappeared and the 20 series gained a bunch of extra models that all looked exactly like the the 30 series in a different color and had specs that were similar as well.

I guess maybe a letter to AT support might get an answer.

they were selling 3035s in most of the online stores for under 100 bucks for quite a few months. I don't use mine anymore since i have a pair of 4050s

according to this the country of origin is different

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/378617-2035-vs-3035-a.html

Archived