whats the best les paul i can get for under $500?

Peast

• Members

Epiphone? Agile? Used lower end gibson? And which model of the brand you think is best in that range?

I want something with above average les paul tone, with bite and the most sustain.

I don't want to spend too much, i don't have any 24.75" scale guitars and sometimes i just love to play the shorter scale and the 25.5 gets old since i just don't feel nearly as fast as on shorter scales, but i mostly prefer the clearer tone of the longer scale. So i'm looking for a les paul with that complex rich tone https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-electric-guitars-under-500/ .

I don't mind if its "B" stock, blemished, used, just in great condition.

ANyway tell me what you think!

• Members
Epiphone? Agile? Used lower end gibson? And which model of the brand you think is best in that range?

I want something with above average les paul tone, with bite and the most sustain.

I don't want to spend too much, i don't have any 24.75" scale guitars and sometimes i just love to play the shorter scale and the 25.5 gets old since i just don't feel nearly as fast as on shorter scales, but i mostly prefer the clearer tone of the longer scale. So i'm looking for a les paul with that complex rich tone.

I don't mind if its "B" stock, blemished, used, just in great condition.

ANyway tell me what you think!

Les Pauls with carved tops can be heavy. They also came with various pups, like P90's and Humbuckers, so the tones will be different as night an day.

The Les Paul Jr is cool beans, They made a Jr like Les Paul in a single cut and double cut. look around they were not costly less tahn 10 years ago new.

Gibson also has the SG. I like them better than Les Pauls, and they are lighter. The Classic was not costly, and came with P90's.

Other guitars have 24.75 scale fretboards and are worth looking into. Stuff like the Gretsch Electromatic can be had for a song and dance. They come with a Bigsby like trem. I like em, but you may not. The pups can be replaced with some TV Jones Classics which have an amazing growl ad charm to them. It's a different tone than the Les Paul with 57 humbuckers, and not in a bad way.

PRS has 275 SE and they are imported, and not costly. PRS does a lovely job with his imports for the money. Other PRS SE are 25" scale and come with various trems or stop tails.

It all depends on the tones you want and the style of music you play.

You want a case to house your instrument.

Look around and take your time.

That is if you ever stop back at HC.

OR, just save a bit more, and buy a Gibson.

If that's what you really want, then IMO this is the best advice. Save up and get what you really want, and be done with it. I've wasted so much money on "close enough" instruments that I eventually tired of, only to lose yet more money when I went to trade them in or sell them to get money to put towards what I really wanted, and what I should have just bought to begin with... :facepalm:

Having said that, I own both Gibsons and Epiphones, and I like them both for what they are.

Archived